Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Successful on only 4 of 13 (31%) tackle attempts this season. Was over 60% the past two seasons.

Successful take-ons are down to 50% from 60% two years ago. Completed 54% last year.

He's 26 and going backwards in a hurry.
At best you forgot the K in your username. At worst you are the village idiot.

At best you forgot the K in your username. At worst you are the village idiot.

So I'm a Kopite for posting statistical information about a player whose form has been on the decline? Care to refute the numbers without resorting to basic name-calling?

Seamus was the best RB in the league two years ago. Last year he was still in the top five or six. This year he's off to a slow start. Saying so doesn't make me a Liverpool supporter or an idiot.

Think before you respond. If you disagree with something I say, cool. But swinging for another poster's head for no reason is a waste of time.

So I'm a Kopite for posting statistical information about a player whose form has been on the decline? Care to refute the numbers without resorting to basic name-calling?

Seamus was the best RB in the league two years ago. Last year he was still in the top five or six. This year he's off to a slow start. Saying so doesn't make me a Liverpool supporter or an idiot.

Think before you respond. If you disagree with something I say, cool. But swinging for another poster's head for no reason is a waste of time.
Yes, and Palace & Leicester will be playing Champions League football next season. It's 4 games FFS.

thought he looked very average yesterday, easily thwarted by whomever Spurs cared to play on their left side.

I don't think he's hit form yet but like so many other experienced PL players they tend to pace themselves. The stats become relevant mid-season, otherwise compare like-for-like i.e. 4 games, then equalize for quality of opponent etc.

all said and done he's still a decent right back.

Seemed to be playing under instructions not to attempt buccaneering runs down the flank. Needs more cover in front of him
this is the big issue for me. has our style been changed to the point where Coleman and Baines aren't a major attacking focal point any more. If we don't see covering for them down the flanks as a priority then maybe it is time to change who we see as first choice at full back. I think Coleman's dip in form might be down to tactics and if so the manager should let him go. we will lose a lot and I fear become more predictable but maybe we can gain something at the back. Having said all this he looked twice the player with Lennon there which had the look of a Pienaar/Baines type partnership. I would prefer to see that.

Can't remember the last time he stopped a cross.

Doesn't know when to go and press though mate due to never having cover so he's so unsure of what's behind him he's too scared to get tight. Time and time again crosses are coming in. He's got no one in front of him, no one behind him and bloody hell has his form suffered something terrible for a year because of it.

whats the solution?
a proper right midfielder?
play five across midfield?
bit of both maybe. defensive mid who is looking to cover for the fullbacks and a right midfielder who can work back. I think Martinez has different ideas though. I think we may well see Coleman go next season. To be fair he deserves to be in a team that builds around his style a bit.

Yes, and Palace & Leicester will be playing Champions League football next season. It's 4 games FFS.

I won't disagree with you about the small sample size. Still, he's not done a whole lot thus far (anything of note beyond the Barkley assist?), which represents a puzzling trend for me.

I won't disagree with you about the small sample size. Still, he's not done a whole lot thus far (anything of note beyond the Barkley assist?), which represents a puzzling trend for me.
I completely disagree that he hasn't done a whole lot thus far. He has provided every bit of width we have in attack -- the only player who has even tempted any defenders out of the middle. He doesn't have nearly as much space to do that as he has in recent years, which is probably due to Baines being out and no real equivalent threat on the left side so defenders can cheat on him a little more.

Being an attacking right back on a team with very little width is a thankless role. I don't think there is anyone else out there who could do it much more effectively, though.

I completely disagree that he hasn't done a whole lot thus far. He has provided every bit of width we have in attack -- the only player who has even tempted any defenders out of the middle. He doesn't have nearly as much space to do that as he has in recent years, which is probably due to Baines being out and no real equivalent threat on the left side so defenders can cheat on him a little more.

Being an attacking right back on a team with very little width is a thankless role. I don't think there is anyone else out there who could do it much more effectively, though.

I agree that he's not getting enough help, but I disagree with the claim that he's luring defenders out wide. When isolated out wide, I don't think he's putting too much stress on the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.