SCRAP VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
God we don’t. Put human error back into offsides and we can have human reactions to goals again.
t is a fluid sport, the definitions in football are often quite vague but we kinda get what s and isn't a foul, by our toned perceptions and experience, we can only apply that in real time, slow motion replays can mean unconscious biases are applied and distort that initial understanding. Real time replays, one or two angles, no technical line drawn interpretation. Oh, and mike up all the official and have their conversations available as a separate sound track on the live footage, we can choose to hear it or not but it is available should we need to scrutinise a decision making process

That new semi automatic system is clearly better than Lee Mason locked in a room drawing lines freehand in crayon.

But, as a few have said in here already, the big sticking point for me, is the loss of proper goal celebrations. You see it already now at grounds, people not fully celebrating cos they’re thinking it’s gonna get chalked off.

If the trade off, of having perfect decisions via VAR is the loss of true spontaneous celebrations in the ground, that’s not a trade off worth taking, in my view.

If they're going to have this automated offside it should only apply to the goalscorer.

The technology is rubbish though. When it comes to offside if you can't see a player is offside from a freezeframe then just go with the original decision. Why even have match officials if technology just re-referees the game.

That new semi automatic system is clearly better than Lee Mason locked in a room drawing lines freehand in crayon.

But, as a few have said in here already, the big sticking point for me, is the loss of proper goal celebrations. You see it already now at grounds, people not fully celebrating cos they’re thinking it’s gonna get chalked off.

If the trade off, of having perfect decisions via VAR is the loss of true spontaneous celebrations in the ground, that’s not a trade off worth taking, in my view.

Don't you remember a world before perfect offside decisions?! Bodies piled high in the streets! Monsters stalked the valleys and children died by the thousands of bunions! Is that a world you want to go back to? How did we ever LIVE?

I’d take the occasional incorrect offside decision in exchange for being able to celebrate a goal again.
Exactly this. If I had my way I'd scrap VAR for offside decisions, and put the responsibility back solely in the hands of the linos, with the explicit instruction to "only flag if you are 110% sure it's offside, if in doubt, advantage to the attacking team".

Personally, I would much rather concede a slightly offside goal and it stand, to us scoring a miniscule offside goal and having it chalked off by the use of jarg lines. I just want to get back to being able to quickly glance at the lino when we score, see their flag not raised, and go full on limbs again. As it stands, you just can't do that.

Obviously this only works if all teams are given the same leeway in close offside calls by the officials, which may be the downfall of this idea!!

Exactly this. If I had my way I'd scrap VAR for offside decisions, and put the responsibility back solely in the hands of the linos, with the explicit instruction to "only flag if you are 110% sure it's offside, if in doubt, advantage to the attacking team".

Personally, I would much rather concede a slightly offside goal and it stand, to us scoring a miniscule offside goal and having it chalked off by the use of jarg lines. I just want to get back to being able to quickly glance at the lino when we score, see their flag not raised, and go full on limbs again. As it stands, you just can't do that.

Obviously this only works if all teams are given the same leeway in close offside calls by the officials, which may be the downfall of this idea!!
:)

I said this when VAR came in. If a goal is slightly offside scored against you you didn't feel cheated as much as if you celebrate a goal only for VAR to chalk it off over a fraction.

The worst ones were if a player was yards offside but how often did that happen against you? Not regularly.

The reason offside was brought in was to stop a player getting an advantage by standing beyond the defender .Now you can be offside if your hand is beyond the last man ,but you can't score with your hand so why should you get blown up for being offside .Iam waiting for some one to get blown for their nose being offside then we will know the lunatic's have taken over the asylum.

I would rather have the tech Fifa are using as at least you know the decision is correct and it's not being affected by bias/corruption. (Which is so blatant currently).

However I'd rather just scrap it for offsides and video officials should just be used for missed fouls/clear and obvious errors on decisions around yellow/red cards.

I would rather have the tech Fifa are using as at least you know the decision is correct and it's not being affected by bias/corruption. (Which is so blatant currently).

However I'd rather just scrap it for offsides and video officials should just be used for missed fouls/clear and obvious errors on decisions around yellow/red cards.
the only thing going for the newer FIFA phukup is that is should be consistent, if the computer is generating the lines and assessing the positions of the players/movement of the ball, it should take out mission creep/bias/ineptitude by the PGMOL tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.