SCRAP VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it can be that accurate surely they just need to set a margin of say 50mm, anything beyond that I don’t think anyone would have too much to complain about.
If they need to get out the magnifying glass for a big toe - Not Offside; benefit of doubt accrues to the Attacker*
As we saw at the Derby you can have an exciting 0-0 draw, though winning is good, glory and goals is what it's all about

*If they can set it as you say, to millimetres, sod 50mm, set it to 250mm - a good portion of a body width, then you're deffo offside.
0-0

I will say one thing about the offside rule I don't get is why the attacker can't be offside, come back on and then get the ball kicked over. Ie: DCL is offside and he knows it but goes back onside and gets the ball punted over his head first. That's called offside always as in the attacker cannot touch the ball at all until someone else has. Just would make more sense to allow players to get back onside and continue.

If they need to get out the magnifying glass for a big toe - Not Offside; benefit of doubt accrues to the Attacker*
As we saw at the Derby you can have an exciting 0-0 draw, though winning is good, glory and goals is what it's all about

*If they can set it as you say, to millimetres, sod 50mm, set it to 250mm - a good portion of a body width, then you're deffo offside.
0-0
I'm not really sure what a good answer is here. If you use replay you have to set the line somewhere and there will always be a close call on that line. If it's 250mm and the guy is 251mm offside it is still a 1mm decision right? So no one is happy.

But if you do away with it referees just have shockers and that isn't the best either.

I'm not really sure what a good answer is here. If you use replay you have to set the line somewhere and there will always be a close call on that line. If it's 250mm and the guy is 251mm offside it is still a 1mm decision right? So no one is happy.

But if you do away with it referees just have shockers and that isn't the best either.
They always did, but they were incompetent shockers, way below the abrogation of on field responsibility coupled with Stockly Park interference or when it seems to suit them on a whim - no Interference
We have now.

Fair enough, but are you watching that back in slow motion? It's an obvious comment but it paints a totally different picture.

People are making out like it's Kevin Nolan on Anichebe at Newcastle. Now *that* was premeditated
Tbh, I never saw any replays until that evening as I was at the game, and even then it drew intakes of breath from the crowd, it looked there and then like he had 'done' him. Something for which he has form. The game is fast, much faster than it used to be, but so are the reactions of the players, he straight-legged him, with the speed of play now they still have enough time to bend the leg and lessen the impact.

As long as a decision like this is made by cold, uncaring machines then I think it's fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be furious if an Everton goal was ruled out by that much, but at least we can be sure no human fallibility or bias has played a part.

Getting rid of that matters most.
For me it's more about the time taken. It's the idea of waiting 3/4 minutes while they work out if you're a centimetre off that annoys me, if they're able to just immediately rule it out like a flag going up then I don't really mind how they come to the decision.

Yeah, Hawkeye fast is what this automated offside needs to be.
That's if it works. It didn't for goaline technology. There's been 2 occasions of goalline technology failing at least so you would imagine that for offside it would be a lot more problematic

That's if it works. It didn't for goaline technology. There's been 2 occasions of goalline technology failing at least so you would imagine that for offside it would be a lot more problematic
Goal line tech barely ever goes wrong, and makes massive news when it does.

I can live with that kind of success rate, frankly.

And at least any errors are random machine errors, as opposed to human ones where personal opinions are one of the variables.

Saw an online article the other day - the 10 worst VAR decisions in the Prem. Rodri penalty was number one, though Pickfords non-faul on St Virgil was #3.

Goal line tech barely ever goes wrong, and makes massive news when it does.

I can live with that kind of success rate, frankly.

And at least any errors are random machine errors, as opposed to human ones where personal opinions are one of the variables.
You say it hardly ever goes wrong, but how many times is it used in a season or how many goals are so close that its required. Maybe 5 or 6 times in the Premier league a season where its genuinely required and the linesman hasn't the ability to spot it. I can't even remember Everton having to use it at all in the last 5 years but I'm sure there's an example.

But my point is that its rarely required and its twice been wrong. So it's In the territory now of questioning its purpose and use

You say it hardly ever goes wrong, but how many times is it used in a season or how many goals are so close that its required. Maybe 5 or 6 times in the Premier league a season where its genuinely required and the linesman hasn't the ability to spot it. I can't even remember Everton having to use it at all in the last 5 years but I'm sure there's an example.

But my point is that its rarely required and its twice been wrong. So it's In the territory now of questioning its purpose and use
See the article above. We are mentioned in the top 10 travesties no fewer than three times and this doesn't even include some of the more egregious ones like michael Keane landing on a Brighton players toe and conceding a penalty!

As long as a decision like this is made by cold, uncaring machines then I think it's fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be furious if an Everton goal was ruled out by that much, but at least we can be sure no human fallibility or bias has played a part.

Getting rid of that matters most.
I'm all for the robot making the calls - I think what most hate about VAR is the lack of consistency in when and then how it gets applied. What really gets me is when the VAR official decides not to even have a look at something. That human element of getting to decide what gets looked at and what doesn't, needs to change in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.