SCRAP VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
It needs to be revised, stop starting all the time to check things. Should do like they do in tennis give each teams say 3 challenges per game and the ref can only step in to use VAR on serious fouls and to check if the ball has crossed the goal line.

It needs to be revised, stop starting all the time to check things. Should do like they do in tennis give each teams say 3 challenges per game and the ref can only step in to use VAR on serious fouls and to check if the ball has crossed the goal line.
even on those team appeals there is a danger, the play in these situations is so dynamic, the rules and application of them are static and not fit for that purpose. Those marginal offices will still need to be dealt with on those appeals. It would be great for things like lampards disallowed England goal, Terry Henry controlling it with his hand,

Throw it in the bin its killing the game especially when its to there eradicate mistakes by useless referees to then be rectified to by oh yes useless referees.
And there is the problem, the system technology can and probably will be tweaked to make it more “accurate”! But when the system is administered and run by the likes of Mike Riley - soon to be Howard Webb, and has the likes of Lee Mason, Jon Moss, etc still making decisions on the field and in the VAR room nothing will change for the better!

Well the ref doesn't need VAR for the goal line stuff. Hawkeye has that pretty much down when it's working.

What an utter embarrassment for the FA and Premier League that VAR seems to work fine across Europe and in the Champions League, etc, but has failed so painfully here in England. Nothing is different aside from the officials, yet it seems there are no plans to change them or the way they work. Keep it bent so that they can decide who they want to win each game - seems fair.

They'll definitely be working overtime to ensure the next few weeks are quiet on the VAR front so that people forget about the latest incidents.

Last edited:
There’s a programme on Netflix about a dodgy NBA ref. He says that the NBA head honchos made clear that certain big clubs and popular players were to be favoured and protected because that’s who joe public pays to see. At first I was heavily in favour of VAR as a means of getting decisions right far more often and getting rid of the errors that can come from refs being pressured by players, fans, managers. I’m beginning to wonder if it isn’t just a mechanism to control the outcomes of games in favour of the perceived elite.

Rip it up and start again.
Has to be clear and obvious.
Only onfield officials make the final call. Sure have somebody say, have a look at this. But that is as far as that goes. 20 seconds to make the call from reaching the monitor. Anything more and it is not clear and obvious.
Cant be used for offside, unless it is an obvious mistake may have been made.
No toenail stuff. A serious doubt as to if somebody is onside or not.

Saying that.
I would even change the offside rule where there is no offside in the final 18 yards of the pitch. If the ball is within that 18 yards, offside is not a thing.
Sommat like Hawkeye could easily make that call. Within that area, ref/linesman gets a buzz on the watch.

There’s a programme on Netflix about a dodgy NBA ref. He says that the NBA head honchos made clear that certain big clubs and popular players were to be favoured and protected because that’s who joe public pays to see. At first I was heavily in favour of VAR as a means of getting decisions right far more often and getting rid of the errors that can come from refs being pressured by players, fans, managers. I’m beginning to wonder if it isn’t just a mechanism to control the outcomes of games in favour of the perceived elite.
Yep, we were sold VAR as "well if the referee gets it wrong, VAR will correct it". Actually it's more like "if the referee for whatever reason fails to make the call that generally benefits the big clubs, VAR will correct it".

The fact you'd got two VAR officials with as many camera angles as they like to zoom in, out, around and draw whatever lines they want, yet it still takes several minutes to determine if any part of Coady's body is closer to the goal than the last Liverpool defender, suggests it should be a goal if they aren't able to clear it up within a matter of seconds with all that tech at their disposal.

It shouldn't come down to millimetres at all, any benefit of the doubt should go to the striker if the ball ends up in the net. If this is consistent for all clubs then nobody can complain. Unfortunately, the officials use this doubt to rule out goals for some, and allow them for others.

Those big 6 teams will probably benefit from 10-20 points each every season simply on decisions alone, and that could be 50% of the points that come teams accumulate over 38 games!

I don’t think they wanted it at all at first but bowed to pressure and purposefully gave wrong decisions to get those who wanted it to eventually hate and therefore bin it. However, in that time they’ve learned to utilise it to control the narrative. Problem is, people are on to that now as well.

They’ll never scrap now it because other leading leagues and competitions use it without issue so the Prem need to save face and keep it as they can’t be seen to going backwards. Which isn’t going to help anyone.

Yep, we were sold VAR as "well if the referee gets it wrong, VAR will correct it". Actually it's more like "if the referee for whatever reason fails to make the call that generally benefits the big clubs, VAR will correct it".

The fact you'd got two VAR officials with as many camera angles as they like to zoom in, out, around and draw whatever lines they want, yet it still takes several minutes to determine if any part of Coady's body is closer to the goal than the last Liverpool defender, suggests it should be a goal if they aren't able to clear it up within a matter of seconds with all that tech at their disposal.

It shouldn't come down to millimetres at all, any benefit of the doubt should go to the striker if the ball ends up in the net. If this is consistent for all clubs then nobody can complain. Unfortunately, the officials use this doubt to rule out goals for some, and allow them for others.

Those big 6 teams will probably benefit from 10-20 points each every season simply on decisions alone, and that could be 50% of the points that come teams accumulate over 38 games!
Someone needs to compile a tally of blatantly, indefensible wrong VAR calls over the course of a season to see who is winning and who is losing

For me, with VAR, they are trying to fix an issue that wasn't actually there. I think that somebody done a check on asst. referee performances on offsides, and it was something like %99.75 of offside decisions were correct. I've regularly called offside during games, whether live or on TV, and the amount of times I was wrong is beyond ridiculous. Simply call offside if they're offside when the ball is played forward towards them, regardless of phase of play, intent to play the ball or whatever, its all a load of rubbish. If a player is in a position to affect the ball, whether they try or not, or even move out of the way, they're offside.
Lets get to the real issue that VAR was supposed to solve, playacting, diving, cheating, off the ball incidents. That's what I thought it was brought in for.

Currently its just adding other factors for refs to consider when they have enough on their plate already. Help them, don't hinder them

I remember years ago before VAR was in the premier league you all said this would stop Liverpool getting dodgy pens.

The vaults don't lie.

VAR actually did take away a last minute winner for them at Goodison a season or two ago. So the “it evens itself out” proper football men should be happy after the weekend.

VAR is definitely problematic but I’m highly sceptical of the people who want it removed that they won’t be crying conspiracy or going insane the moment an incorrect decision occurs.

VAR actually did take away a last minute winner for them at Goodison a season or two ago. So the “it evens itself out” proper football men should be happy after the weekend.

VAR is definitely problematic but I’m highly sceptical of the people who want it removed that they won’t be crying conspiracy or going insane the moment an incorrect decision occurs.

Some people just like to moan.

Luddites the lot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.