SCRAP VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's that, it's more that those calls generally get allowed for the bigger teams. Sure they may have one dodgy or tight decision go against them every now and then, but the times whereby they benefit from hugely tight calls far outweighs those they lose out on.

Us, definitely the opposite. Just from the past few years we've had utterly scandalous calls such as the 'offside' Sigurdsson goal versus United, the Rodri handball, the Gordon non-penalty at Anfield last year to name just a few.

Another would be Gray's goal last week when Rashford had an almost identical call given in his favour. The Gray one was just dismissed with seemingly little effort taken by the officials to give it a real look.

If we get the Gray goal and either the Coady goal or van Dijk rightfully gets sent off, we could easily be sitting on 8 or 9 points now and would have a completely different outlook for the season already.
That’s how I feel about it too. That’s a goal if it were Liverpool at Anfield no doubt. They would have came up with some excuse as to why they called it a goal. It’s the inconsistency that’s bothers me the most, almost as if they make stuff up as they go.

That’s how I feel about it too. That’s a goal if it were Liverpool at Anfield no doubt. They would have came up with some excuse as to why they called it a goal. It’s the inconsistency that’s bothers me the most, almost as if they make stuff up as they go.
The season before last, liverpool scored a goal from a shot that clipped the opposition player that fell to a player in a offside position, apparently when it clips the opposition player it negates any offside, the rules change week by week , coincidentally it seems the sky six seem to benefit from it.

Before I post this , I am not American , my family are scousers , and I still live in Lancashire.
All this is irrelevant anyway.
If we are going to have some form of video accountability (which I think that we should have) it should not hold up the natural flow of the game.
That said , we need to be able to hold referees to account (historically the best example is the "world best" Clive Thomas , all those years ago).
In the NFL , a coach has a red flag that he can throw on the pitch to challenge a major decision , for each half. If you challenge incorrectly , then you lose your flag for that half. If you are successful , then you get it back.
Surely that is a better system than the current idiocy ?.
Sounds like a good idea but won’t work.. these guys spent somewhere between 1-7 minutes and still get it wrong. Throwing a challenge in will do nothing as they still give it wrong

For me it’s not VAR that is the problem, it’s the humans looking at the footage. They are incompetent at best and corrupt at worst.
If we scrap VAR we will still get poor decisions because we still have the same people. For me offsides should be obvious, if they are not then you are onside. If you have to get out the lines and have a debate about is his shoulder infront of the other guys foot, it’s crazy.
Also goals shouldn’t be disallowed for stuff like the Bowen Mandy situation from the weekend, again that is insane. Bowen tries to Jump over Mendy and Mendy is on the ground, never gonna save it.

the solution may be to have the VAR staff for offside to be be drawn from people who don't like football, tech geeks who actually know something about video footage and its many technical issues. They are currently attempting a forensic analysis of incident that could have multi million pound consequences in a minute or two with no scrutiny until after the event and no jeopardy when they get it badly wrong. A proper expert in video analysis will provide a range of possibilities, not one 'definitive' result. That then will be subjective, open to opinion and misapplication. ergo, VAR cant be used for dynamic subjective decisions

Before I post this , I am not American , my family are scousers , and I still live in Lancashire.
All this is irrelevant anyway.
If we are going to have some form of video accountability (which I think that we should have) it should not hold up the natural flow of the game.
That said , we need to be able to hold referees to account (historically the best example is the "world best" Clive Thomas , all those years ago).
In the NFL , a coach has a red flag that he can throw on the pitch to challenge a major decision , for each half. If you challenge incorrectly , then you lose your flag for that half. If you are successful , then you get it back.
Surely that is a better system than the current idiocy

not sure about the flags in football (sorry that's soccer for you yanks!!!), just couldn't see it being adopted.

What I do think should be adopted, if VAR is to continue, is like the NFL to have an onfield decision and that can only be overruled if there is clear evidence it was incorrect so any doubt and it goes with the onfield decision. All goals are reviewed and, then like rugby, if the TV official spots something off the ball they show it to the ref and everyone can see and hear what they say and how they make their decisions.

Without that transparency the assumption should be that it is corrupt as otherwise they would just let us hear.

For what it's worth I think from Saturday the goal would rightly have been overturned and Van Dijk should have been sent off. Grays goal wasn't clear and obvious, despite the lines, so would have gone with infield decision (can't remember what it was)

the solution may be to have the VAR staff for offside to be be drawn from people who don't like football, tech geeks who actually know something about video footage and its many technical issues. They are currently attempting a forensic analysis of incident that could have multi million pound consequences in a minute or two with no scrutiny until after the event and no jeopardy when they get it badly wrong. A proper expert in video analysis will provide a range of possibilities, not one 'definitive' result. That then will be subjective, open to opinion and misapplication. ergo, VAR cant be used for dynamic subjective decisions
The forensic analysis is the problem, if forensic analysis is required its not a clear and obvious error, therefore it should automatically default back to the on pitch decision

The technology just needs to better.

They need to redesign the system to incorporate more cameras at better angles and some kind of tracking marks built into kits to accurately see exactly where they are and their speed. Footballs that can sense who touched it last and everything timecoded down to the microsecond.

And all available online during the game for everyone to check themselves.

It's absolutely awful and has brought nothing but confusion and chaos to the game. The disallowed goals for Newcastle and West Ham at the weekend were some of the worst howlers I've ever seen and VAR was brought in to eradicate this sort of thing. And when it should've got involved, ie the potential red card for Van Dijk, it decided not to.

I'd get rid immediately and go back to the old way were you got some good and bad decisions every season. I still say the refs and linesman got majority of things right.

What literally is the point of it when you're replacing bad decisions with even worse decisions?

I remember years ago before VAR was in the premier league you all said this would stop Liverpool getting dodgy pens.

The vaults don't lie.
that is what should have happened, what we now have is,
  • liverpool player goes down in the box with no contact - analysis reveals the intent to foul caused the poor Liverpool player to fall over = penalty
  • liverpool player goes down with minimal contact - analysis reveals he was entitled to go down = penalty
  • Everton player goes down with no contact - analysis reveals he is a serial diver and a cheat and ruining the game = no penalty
  • Everton player goes down with minimal contact - he went down too easily there, not enough contact for me Jeff = no penalty and a ban for 'simulation'

The general consensus seems to be of scrapping VAR and one I wholly agree with. However, it won't happen whilst it affords washed up former referees an extra income stream.

The irony being that as former officials they are essentially saying that they do not trust the current crop to get things right but when they reffed/ran the lines they were seldom held accountable for their mistakes preferring to rely on the old excuse that it is extremely difficult to be consistently correct in 'real time'. And yet, even with the advent of VAR they are still unable to reach a correct decision and/or misinterpret the rules with equal inconsistency unless it favours the Sky 6. At least pre-VAR the on field officials had to live or die by their decisions without the comfort blanket which currently surrounds them.

And if, as seems likely, the Premier League persist with this abhorration then at least reduce it to a simpler form instead of overcomplicating matters by introducing miniscule percentage margins into the equation such as whether or not an attacking players index finger had strayed into an offside position. This is what makes system farcical.

It's absolutely awful and has brought nothing but confusion and chaos to the game. The disallowed goals for Newcastle and West Ham at the weekend were some of the worst howlers I've ever seen and VAR was brought in to eradicate this sort of thing. And when it should've got involved, ie the potential red card for Van Dijk, it decided not to.

I'd get rid immediately and go back to the old way were you got some good and bad decisions every season. I still say the refs and linesman got majority of things right.

What literally is the point of it when you're replacing bad decisions with even worse decisions?
Can't agree with that. We've a list as long as your arm of dodgy decisions in these games over the last 20 years. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.