SCRAP VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
It needs to be revised, stop starting all the time to check things. Should do like they do in tennis give each teams say 3 challenges per game and the ref can only step in to use VAR on serious fouls and to check if the ball has crossed the goal line.
But that would surely mean 6 VAR checks per match. Teams would use the checks for the sake of using the checks (as happens in cricket). Not sure I've ever encountered 6 VAR interventions in any game.

One of the biggest issues is that the crowd and the TV audience at home don't get to hear the discussion between the ref, the linos and the VAR crew. This secrecy allows for speculation of bias. Let's give the entire officiating team microphones and let's hear what's going on throughout the game.

Look at what gets done in sports where similar technology is used, and look at the procedures they follow when video replays are used to assist the red on making their decision. Rugby Union has got a great model IMHO, and I'd say field hockey have worked it out too. NFL and NBA have used it for ages and periodically make improvements.

Football's application of VAR to date is so disjointed and flawed at the moment that it's hard to conclude that it isn't all deliberate.

One of the biggest issues is that the crowd and the TV audience at home don't get to hear the discussion between the ref, the linos and the VAR crew. This secrecy allows for speculation of bias. Let's give the entire officiating team microphones and let's hear what's going on throughout the game.

Look at what gets done in sports where similar technology is used, and look at the procedures they follow when video replays are used to assist the red on making their decision. Rugby Union has got a great model IMHO, and I'd say field hockey have worked it out too. NFL and NBA have used it for ages and periodically make improvements.

Football's application of VAR to date is so disjointed and flawed at the moment that it's hard to conclude that it isn't all deliberate.
almost as if theyre trying to swell the numbers and complicate it further so as to 'earn' a few more quid...

a legit slip also

Good thing is they’re already mic’d up… just make it live

I’m all for goal line technology but VAR seems to just be messier than any other form of video ref in any sport so far. Works in Cricket, works in tennis, works in rugby league and NFL…. How can it go so wrong for football

I’m all for goal line technology but VAR seems to just be messier than any other form of video ref in any sport so far. Works in Cricket, works in tennis, works in rugby league and NFL…. How can it go so wrong for football
Because they literally didn't follow anyone's lead?

It works in cricket, tennis and NFL because it is challenge based so it is part strategy. It is hard to get mad at a review when you're in charge of it happening. Yes close calls can still be controversial but mostly it works.

Rugby is excruciatingly detailed. Maybe even too much so for football. But what makes it work is agree or disagree you know exactly what the referee was thinking.

Football decided to avoid all of this.

But that would surely mean 6 VAR checks per match. Teams would use the checks for the sake of using the checks (as happens in cricket). Not sure I've ever encountered 6 VAR interventions in any game.
Perhaps less then, then the teams would use the for important things only, just and idea ?

Status
Not open for further replies.