Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What? Chelsea had 25 shots yesterday, 8 of them on target.

But our extraordinary run of good fortune continues. Morata picked up a bizarre booking against Bournemouth. As it was his fifth, he missed the game. Pickford made three outstanding saves, Jagielka kicked off the line twice, and Williams headed against the bar.

We can't expect to escape from performances like that with a clean sheet very often.

A player getting booked, our keeper making saves and our defenders defending is extraordinary good fortune?

The blame lies with Kooeman though, his total ineptness left us with 1 left back in the squad and no recognised forwards, plus a midfield with little or no width. I sat there yesterday and I could l see the game plan from the off, but also realised what other options do we have. My fear is confidence is still fragile and going for it and getting beat heavily could destroy it all the good work done. My simple outlook when SA arrived was to get as many points as possible, in fairness we have done that. The intriguing part of all of this will be returning players and the Jan window, we will then see if we have the old SA or the new attack minded SA.... until then we can't over judge him
Doing great at the moment though

Think that's too fast myself.

The returning players are who exactly?

Coleman wont do enormously better than the way Kenny is playing.
Bolasie is useless...
Mori is like Williams...an accident waiting to happen
Barkley is off

new players will need time to settle and get used to the tactics and team.

My bet is that we only gradually begin changing from end of Jan and then end of the season we start playing a but more expansively. Next season is when to really judge.

Take the game to them? You consider stringing a couple of passes on the ground together and a shot on target (wouldn’t that be nice) as us taking the game to Chelsea?

Chelsea have mutilated us in recent years so believe me I’m happy with the result. I just don’t understand how some posters want to remove all context from our performances. We defended really well and as a solid unit from back to front. As an attacking threat we were woeful. And I will not accept that we could not be a little better on the ball in these games, especially at home.

What are you going on about? Whats that got to do with what i wrote. No I don't consider stringing a few passes and a shot on target taking the game to Chelsea. I know this because I didn't say that

Moyes lasted 11 years.

As long as the team wins a good amount at home then largely the fanbase will be happy.
Moyes was here in an era when there could be no ambition, and most put up and shut up because of that relaity.

Apples and pears.

..I wonder if Moshiri has been bruised by the transition from Koeman to Allardyce and would welcome a period of stability and slow progress, especially if the stadium development is happening.

Also, there’s a stereotypical view of how Allardyce’s teams play. He said in recent interview that invariably he has come into clubs to keep them up but he’d like to think this job is different. He wants Everton to play with more expanse. I wonder whether Shakespeare in particular and Walsh to a lesser extent might set the playing strategy. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is exactly what Allardyce wants. Time will tell.
Maybe. He might have had his wings clipped by his experience here. But I believe he's genuine about wanting to finish top 6 and in the summer we'll see if he still holds that ambition. He obviously didn't fancy Allardyce and only went back there when the primary target was blocked.

Allardyce wont get us top 6. You have to be much more expansive to get into that company and that isn't what Allardyce knows how to do.

Think that's too fast myself.

The returning players are who exactly?

Coleman wont do enormously better than the way Kenny is playing.
Bolasie is useless...
Mori is like Williams...an accident waiting to happen
Barkley is off

new players will need time to settle and get used to the tactics and team.

My bet is that we only gradually begin changing from end of Jan and then end of the season we start playing a but more expansively. Next season is when to really judge.
Maybe, but the players we sign will be an indicator in how we go forward. Bolasie and Coleman will improve our starting 11 and will add pace to a pretty stagnant team. We will improve but how much only time will tell

A player getting booked, our keeper making saves and our defenders defending is extraordinary good fortune?

Then there all the penalties that we've been awarded recently; 1 against Watford, 1 against Crystal Palace, 1 against Liverpool, 2 against Swansea.

In one case, Niasse was judged to have dived. When Rooney hit the post with one, Calvert-Lewin scored.

In the Watford game, their goalkeeper and centrehalf went off injured. A defensive mix up let in Niasse, who deflected the ball into the net with his arse. And Cleverley, of course, missed a last minute penalty.

On top of everything else, Rooney has scored a wonder goal.

Maybe. He might have had his wings clipped by his experience here. But I believe he's genuine about wanting to finish top 6 and in the summer we'll see if he still holds that ambition. He obviously didn't fancy Allardyce and only went back there when the primary target was blocked.

Allardyce wont get us top 6. You have to be much more expansive to get into that company and that isn't what Allardyce knows how to do.

..but Shakespeare does. The other thing to note in that interview was that he’d never had a chance to compete in the cups because he kept players back for league games. That situation is different now and he’d really like a run in the Cup. Transfer dealings (particularly in the summer) will give us an indication of the direction of travel.

Then there all the penalties that we've been awarded recently; 1 against Watford, 1 against Crystal Palace, 1 against Liverpool, 2 against Swansea.

In one case, Niasse was judged to have dived. When Rooney hit the post with one, Calvert-Lewin scored.

In the Watford game, their goalkeeper and centrehalf went off injured. A defensive mix up let in Niasse, who deflected the ball into the net with his arse. And Cleverley, of course, missed a last minute penalty.

On top of everything else, Rooney has scored a wonder goal.

The only penalty that was lucky was the 2nd against Swansea as the foul was half a yard outside the box.

Everything else you list there is part and parcel of the game - how many players were we missing yesterday due to injury/illness? We’ve missed our fair share of penalties over the years

And now you’re putting Rooneys goal down to luck as well?

Maybe you should take up knitting or something since you’re clearly taking no joy out of our upturn in form

Status
Not open for further replies.