Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
10 points clear off relegation, 6 points behind Spurs.

Can't argue with that. It's already looking like a relegation fight is something that won't happen.

I still can't see him being here next year but he's done one hell of a job at steadying the ship.

I'd be happier with this '6 points off Spurs thing' if we didn't have Chelsea at the weekend!

I'd say we are one of the worst sides to watch this season but that's not a criticism of Allardyce as this has been the case a Once game one.

Allardyce (imo) is still playing pretty much the same set up that failed for Koeman and Unsworth such as Gylfi left mid, Rooney higher up the pitch last night, the pairing of Morgan and Gueye.

The main difference is he's got a lot of players performing to a much better standard.

Williams is getting 7's instead of 4 or 5
Gueye is getting 7's instead if 5's
Rooneys form has picked up
Gylfis form has picked up
Lennon has come in and done a job
Cucos form has picked up
Kenny has settled into his role

That's half a team whose form and performances have improved and that will imo always be enough to beat everyone outside the top 6/7

I think it speaks volumes of Koemans man management skills that he couldn't eek out another couple of % out of this squad.

Allardyce is talking down expectations e.g. target is top half. Is this managing expectations or being conservative? He sounds like a man who doesn't believe this form can last and as though he himself is surprised at the great run we are on. I don't think he really knows how he has had such a significant impact and as such expects the wheels to fall off again at some point.

I think it's sensible to manage expectations.

Yes, we're on a good run, but the table is still tight. We've got a good gap now between ourselves and the likes of Southampton, who are the top of what has become the second (or even third) tier of the league atm.

A six point gap is still a relatively big jump to bridge.

Surely he's much of a muchness with Allardyce? I don't really see any difference at all.

He's an excellent manager who - long term - would be ideal if we're going to continue the trend of a British manager who builds from a solid base.

He's working miracles with Burnley and in all fairness has done since he got there.

I'd say we are one of the worst sides to watch this season but that's not a criticism of Allardyce as this has been the case a Once game one.

Allardyce (imo) is still playing pretty much the same set up that failed for Koeman and Unsworth such as Gylfi left mid, Rooney higher up the pitch last night, the pairing of Morgan and Gueye.

The main difference is he's got a lot of players performing to a much better standard.

Williams is getting 7's instead of 4 or 5
Gueye is getting 7's instead if 5's
Rooneys form has picked up
Gylfis form has picked up
Lennon has come in and done a job
Cucos form has picked up
Kenny has settled into his role

That's half a team whose form and performances have improved and that will imo always be enough to beat everyone outside the top 6/7

I think it speaks volumes of Koemans man management skills that he couldn't eek out another couple of % out of this squad.

When we switched to 4-3-3 from 60 onwards we looked twice the side.

Look at the build-up for our third goal btw, and tell me that's 'bad to watch'.

Obviously I know your point is overall and yes, it isn't pretty, but we needed results and that's what we've got.

Suppose it depends.

If Allardyce, over the next 18 months, builds a really solid foundation to work from, and all that is then needed is a younger, more progressive manager to take us forward, but not overhaul the system completely, then Dyche is the man IMO.

If we want someone to take us in a different direction again, then equally he may not be the man.

When we switched to 4-3-3 from 60 onwards we looked twice the side.

Look at the build-up for our third goal btw, and tell me that's 'bad to watch'.

Obviously I know your point is overall and yes, it isn't pretty, but we needed results and that's what we've got.

Of course Toff there are moments of great play, that's going to happen becsuse they aren't bad players.

But on the whole we are abysmal to watch, I'm not knocking Allardyce either. We are playing just as crap a football as we were under Koeman on the eye, but the massive difference is he has got us organised, disciplined and getting results.

Not pretty at all but I'll take an Everton win every day of the week regardless of how it comes about

Considering they're having a decent season, to only be 6 points away from them seems very strange. A total contrast in watchable viewing though.

Spurs have been pretty abysmal for the last month, mate.

Results-wise and 'watchable viewing' wise as well.

We were crap in the first half last night but once we stepped it up in the second half we played some really good stuff.

It's wins that count.

I still reckon Sam's thinking is, first and foremost, get to 40 and then build from there.

It's just how he works.

Fortunately, our getting to 40 should - barring a massive drop, which is possible obviously - come much sooner than I, or probably Sam himself, expected.

Of course Toff there are moments of great play, that's going to happen becsuse they aren't bad players.

But on the whole we are abysmal to watch, I'm not knocking Allardyce either. We are playing just as crap a football as we were under Koeman on the eye, but the massive difference is he has got us organised, disciplined and getting results.

Not pretty at all but I'll take an Everton win every day of the week regardless of how it comes about

I actually do think we're playing better footy though mate.

Even in the first half yesterday there were glimpses. You can see what we were trying to do, it just wasn't working out.

A lot of that yesterday I think was down to having two holding players, negating Gana as he was trying to fill in the box-to-box role that he just isn't very good at.

Status
Not open for further replies.