Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
David,

we are five points clear of the drop zone

Our defence is a shambles that has conceded 20 goals in the eight games since Koeman got sacked.

We beat a team that happened to be one of the three below us. It was a good display but there were clear areas where improvement was needed - and drastic improvement at that.

The manager search was ridiculous. We could have had Sam 4 weeks ago but instead went for targets that simply weren't feasible. We could have got Dyche thanks to his buyout clause and I'm convinced that 4/5 weeks ago he'd have happily joined us. Now we weren't worth the gamble to him. But he'd have been the perfect manager to fix our short and long-term issues.

Instead, it's Sam.

The target is still 40 points. We need another nine wins (simplifying it, obviously) to get that.

Get out of town !!!!!!!!!!!!

David,

we are five points clear of the drop zone

Our defence is a shambles that has conceded 20 goals in the eight games since Koeman got sacked.

We beat a team that happened to be one of the three below us. It was a good display but there were clear areas where improvement was needed - and drastic improvement at that.

The manager search was ridiculous. We could have had Sam 4 weeks ago but instead went for targets that simply weren't feasible. We could have got Dyche thanks to his buyout clause and I'm convinced that 4/5 weeks ago he'd have happily joined us. Now we weren't worth the gamble to him. But he'd have been the perfect manager to fix our short and long-term issues.

Instead, it's Sam.

The target is still 40 points. We need another nine wins (simplifying it, obviously) to get that.

9 wins from 24 games though. 37.5%. With this squad and modest January investment that is so straightforward that as Dave says, any semi-competent manager could achieve it. The Corrupt Sam nuclear button has been pushed way, way too soon here.

I think the knee jerk reaction to winning one game against West Ham from the 'told you so' gang we were/ are not in a rekagation fight is premature.

I want nothing more then to see us rise up the table & hopefully now that result will help with confidence,

But come on, if you've watched every game in all completions we been woefully poor, and showed many a sign of a relegated team - no desire, no plan, no fight, shipping goals, not scoring goals, ageing team.

So IF the board did bring Sam in to remove us from that fear, saying after one win we dont now actually need him is premature.

I had to laugh last night when he saw that performance and result, on the back of which we now sit easily within reach of midtable. His face in the director's box was a picture: he had the horrifying realisation that his job here had suddenly changed from getting safe to getting us into the top half of the table and keeping us there.

We have effectively stepped out of the Big Sam criteria of basket case club and are asking for a bit more than moving us from relegation team to bottom half plodders. Inside he must have been very concerned about what he's now got to do.

As said all along: this position we found ourselves within was way short of fire fighter manager territory. Moshiri has panicked and has us now managed by a man without the tools to do the new job: mid-table/top half finish. That's what happens when you have a clueless errand boy in the hot seat.
He takes over with us in 13th it will be interesting to see our final league position, I’m guessing it will be very similar to where we are now! I’ve said it many times we didn’t need this type of manager this early in the season with so many points to play for. If it was February/March then possibly yes.

I think the knee jerk reaction to winning one game against West Ham from the 'told you so' gang we were/ are not in a rekagation fight is premature.

I want nothing more then to see us rise up the table & hopefully now that result will help with confidence,

But come on, if you've watched every game in all completions we been woefully poor, and showed many a sign of a relegated team - no desire, no plan, no fight, shipping goals, not scoring goals, ageing team.

So IF the board did bring Sam in to remove us from that fear, saying after one win we dont now actually need him is premature.

Agree.

Unless last night is followed up by 3 points on Saturday then last night could merely prove to be nothing more than a one off.

Some people use and twist every situation to suit their agendas though, so now it appears we didn't even need a new manager, or because they are not happy with the man they picked, we didn't need that particular type of manager.

I had to laugh last night when he saw that performance and result, on the back of which we now sit easily within reach of midtable. His face in the director's box was a picture: he had the horrifying realisation that his job here had suddenly changed from getting safe to getting us into the top half of the table and keeping us there.

We have effectively stepped out of the Big Sam criteria of basket case club and are asking for a bit more than moving us from relegation team to bottom half plodders. Inside he must have been very concerned about what he's now got to do.

As said all along: this position we found ourselves within was way short of fire fighter manager territory. Moshiri has panicked and has us now managed by a man without the tools to do the new job: mid-table/top half finish. That's what happens when you have a clueless errand boy in the hot seat.
I make you totally wrong mate. Make no mistake, his brief is to keep us up, that result makes his task look a bit easier, therefore his bonus more attainable.

If he delivers midtable or better, then he'll have overachieved his main KPI.

I hope he makes you eat your words davek, I really do. But don't worry, myself and plenty of others will have to be doing the same, so you'll be in good company.

I do however, have a sneaking little doubt tugging away at me, that he may do something with us.

As for Moshiri being an errand boy and buffooning his way through a 6 week manager search to get the first candidate while we needed a bit of fire fighting - total agreement. We are not much further away from 7th than we are from the relegation zone - now would have been the time to expand our horizons.

We need to be careful with who he buys and gets shut off in the next transfer window as we don't want to be saddled with the hopelessly overpaid, over-the-hill mercenaries aimed at short term safety with him knowing he doesn't have to deal with the fall out in 18 months time. I wonder if the errand boy will step aside once the master comes to show his hand, and will he bring the likes of a Simeone with him to herald his new reign? We need to be recruiting for that period now if we have any expectations to challenge for stuff regardless. Look at City, first they got the Bellamy, Barry and Lescotts of the league to start their ascent - we need to be doing the same. I think our new manager can work with this sort of player and get us up the league into the top 6 if they come in over this season and next. We would then be primed for the big time if all went well.

He is clueless Dave, as he's given too much power to Steve Walsh who masterminded this appointment.

9 wins from 24 games though. 37.5%. With this squad and modest January investment that is so straightforward that as Dave says, any semi-competent manager could achieve it. The Corrupt Sam nuclear button has been pushed way, way too soon here.

...it looked a far from straightforward task after Sunday’s game. Allardyce wasn’t my choice but we needed change before these two Home games. I think last nights performance owed lots to the fact that we had changed. Perhaps this short-term appointment is as much about getting things right off the pitch as on it.

I hope @davek is right and Allardyce suddenly has a more progressive upward looking challenge on his hands. He might enjoy it. I was thinking along the same lines. Yesterday morning I just had a feel for a decent FA Cup run. As pointed out by @Billy Dean, Allardyce tends to give up on the cup but he might just have enough wiggle room to give it a go, the 22-1 was enough for me to have a little interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.