2021/22 Salomón Rondón

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's okay saying a player isn't fit because of 4 months out.

But this isn't just that. This is two years - half of one taken up by a pandemic so not playing - of being in China and a spell in Russia. The base fitness just isn't there.

He's also 32, so it's going to take him even longer than it would to get up to speed.

We knew this signing him and while I appreciate we didn't expect Dom and Rich to get injured simultaneously, that is simply awful planning on our behalf yet again.

If Townsend scores his shot yesterday he has an assist, and he was close to sliding in against Villa as well. Just give him longer than a few games ffs. The positioning and movement is there to score goals, he just needs a tiny bit of sharpness which of course the football hipsters on here won’t afford him any time to find because they’re smarting from their mates on Twitter laughing at us getting a bloke who played for Newcastle and West Brom rather than giving him a blank slate like any new signing.

It's okay saying a player isn't fit because of 4 months out.

But this isn't just that. This is two years - half of one taken up by a pandemic so not playing - of being in China and a spell in Russia. The base fitness just isn't there.

He's also 32, so it's going to take him even longer than it would to get up to speed.

We knew this signing him and while I appreciate we didn't expect Dom and Rich to get injured simultaneously, that is simply awful planning on our behalf yet again.

But the reality is we had no money to sign a CF this summer mate so what was our options?

Persist with Kean who wanted out?

Persist with Toshun who's still injured and likely off in January?

Its easy blaming the club for not signing a 25 yr old CF who's ready and eager to go but...

1. Not many CF's who are decent would have been happy to come sit on our bench

2. We had no money to spend

3. When we were linked with someone for actual money who was fit and ready in Maupay the fans were cry arsing he wasn't good enough.

The club cant win with our fans. Not disputing we are in the mess we were in the summer because of millions has been wasted but its scandalous blaming the club for this signing or the others in the situation we was in.

His medical would have been short. Are you breathing? Sorted

I've heard he's part of a cunning plan. Play enough poor matches and teams will not mark you. I reckon 6 goals vs man utd

But the reality is we had no money to sign a CF this summer mate so what was our options?

Its easy blaming the club for not signing a 25 yr old CF who's ready and eager to go but...

3. When we were linked with someone for actual money who was fit and ready in Maupay the fans were cry arsing he wasn't good enough.

The club cant win with our fans. Not disputing we are in the mess we were in the summer because of millions has been wasted but its scandalous blaming the club for this signing or the others in the situation we was in.
It just extends the dross list. Need to get the u23s sorted so not resorting to the never ending mess

It just extends the dross list. Need to get the u23s sorted so not resorting to the never ending mess

The under 23's are crap mate - Dobbin or Simms would be eaten alive by PL defence hence why Simms who is our brightest young talent was playing in League One last season whereas others teams youngsters like Greenwood are banging them in for a CL club.

There were other strikers available on frees mate that weren't Rondon. Benitez wanted him and we tried for him early on in the window. Dalian wanted money so we had to say no.

We could genuinely have kept King for the sake of it, but appreciate that decision was probably made pre-Ancelotti leaving.

I used the Austin example the other day. Same age as Rondon, has been playing in England for the last 2 years not China, and was available on a free. Now I don't rate Austin particularly highly but if we were just wanting an experienced target man to play back up then he'd have done the job too.

I rated Rondon before he went to China. But the drop off in quality and fitness - at that age too - is always going to set a player back. He just looks totally off it and that's not just fitness. His touch was abysmal all the way through yesterday.

There were other strikers available on frees mate that weren't Rondon. Benitez wanted him and we tried for him early on in the window. Dalian wanted money so we had to say no.

We could genuinely have kept King for the sake of it, but appreciate that decision was probably made pre-Ancelotti leaving.

I used the Austin example the other day. Same age as Rondon, has been playing in England for the last 2 years not China, and was available on a free. Now I don't rate Austin particularly highly but if we were just wanting an experienced target man to play back up then he'd have done the job too.

I rated Rondon before he went to China. But the drop off in quality and fitness - at that age too - is always going to set a player back. He just looks totally off it and that's not just fitness. His touch was abysmal all the way through yesterday.

King never got a chance here who knows how that would have worked out mate but ultimately a fit Rondon is a target man to aim for in terms of leading the line/holding the ball up which isn't King's game.

I have no problem with the signing tbh pal - free transfer, 12 months left on his deal if it doesn't work out this season or if he does get upto speed somewhat and bags a few goals off the bench when DCL is fit he's offered more than any other back up forward for some time.

For me its a case of moaning for moaning sake with some (not saying you mate) - we are 5th, 1 point off top so quick lets moan at our 3rd choice CF.

Once DCL & Richarlison are back no one will be bothered about the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.