Royston Drenthe

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I actually thought he was great when he came on. Obviously Moyes had a word in his ear and told him to not try and go gung-ho and instead retain possession & keep it, which he did. He also won a few free kicks. The only thing he did wrong was his very first touch being a misplaced pass under no pressure, but other than that..

^ I actually thought he was great when he came on. Obviously Moyes had a word in his ear and told him to not try and go gung-ho and instead retain possession & keep it, which he did. He also won a few free kicks. The only thing he did wrong was his very first touch being a misplaced pass under no pressure, but other than that..

No mate, I'm talking about Drenthe. Who are you on about?

Please don't give me that mate..

He didn't come on and play all-out the way he usually does, that much is certain. He was picking up the ball, running into their half with it, and either started passing it around on the left with Baines & Fellaini or was drawing fouls, which he won a few of. He didn't lose possession much at all.

What more do you want him to do in the closing stages of a game were we're defending a lead against a top side?

I keep saying this but when you're restricted to fleeting cameos here and there, as a player trying to prove yourself on every kind of level... well you maybe try a bit too hard.

If he was given a proper run I think he'd settle. But hey, I may be wrong.

^ He was obviously told by Moyes to cool it on the dribbles, and he did. He did well to retain the ball and keep it in their half.

Please don't give me that mate..

He didn't come on and play all-out the way he usually does, that much is certain. He was picking up the ball, running into their half with it, and either started passing it around on the left with Baines & Fellaini or was drawing fouls, which he won a few of. He didn't lose possession much at all.

What more do you want him to do in the closing stages of a game were we're defending a lead against a top side?

Pretty sure he lost possession about three times, which is good going seeing he was only on about three seconds. Still looked like he was trying to dribble and pull loads of fancy stuff off when he had simple options on. I like the creative mercurial side of Drenthe but when you're playing a top side and winning seems like its better to just be a team player.

The crux of this disagreement seems to be we both saw two different players. Can anyone else decide this little spat for us? (I could well be wrong like) but was he gash or not? Did he lose the ball? Somebody press rewind.

Pretty sure he lost possession about three times, which is good going seeing he was only on about three seconds. Still looked like he was trying to dribble and pull loads of fancy stuff off when he had simple options on. I like the creative mercurial side of Drenthe but when you're playing a top side and winning seems like its better to just be a team player.

The crux of this disagreement seems to be we both saw two different players. Can anyone else decide this little spat for us? (I could well be wrong like) but was he gash or not? Did he lose the ball? Somebody press rewind.

I think he started off a bit hot headed but calmed down as he settled into the game.

I'm one of Drenthe's biggest supporters, but i thought he had a bit of a mare today to be honest. Gave away possession needlessly. I'm all for taking chances but some of the decisions he made today were just silly, not unlucky. There was a moment about 2 minutes from the end of normal time when he cut inside despite Baines being on the run down the wing, and three Chelsea players being situated inside of him ready to take the ball away, which they did.

He should be playing on the right though, that's obvious.

Don't like his attitude at all and today he was awful when he came on. He sat back until he got the ball and then ran into the Chelsea players and hoped to get a free kick, gave the ball away a few times and didn't help any of the team when we counter attacked

To me, it would have made more sense to bring him on for Cahill, put LD behind the stracq and put drenthe on the right. Pienaar keeps the ball so well I couldn't understand why he was taken off. Obviously, not the first substitution I've been baffled by. There's a potential thread on its own, thinking about it......

Pienaar had a tight hamstring or calf.

Drenthe is drenthe. But I would say he was trying to follow instruction this week.

Will prob do him a world if good watching how pienaar plays the game!

what people r getting away from is moyes knew what the lad was all about before he signed him . i think theres a darker picture of royston getting painted here ,ye some times times hes been tossing it off. i think moyes could do a lot more with the lad ,as i have said before the lad needs loving , i know the players love him

That's good to hear. I know he mentioned Pienaar was his mate when he joined the club aswell, so maybe that will play a part.

As for his performance yesterday, he did fine. I think the first pass he made he gave away, but other than that, I'm struggling to understand where the criticism is coming from. Took the ball, got involved, had some good interchanges with Baines, nearly got onto a through ball from Straq, quality player really.

Pienaar had a tight hamstring or calf.

Drenthe is drenthe. But I would say he was trying to follow instruction this week.

Will prob do him a world if good watching how pienaar plays the game!

This. If Royston could learn to play like Pienaar does he would be Pienaar plus blistering pace and a better shot, up there with the most dangerous wingers in the league. If we could get Coleman overlapping like Baines does from right back our wings would be absolutely devastating. This will never happen though because Moyes would need a Neville or a Hibbert behind Drenthe and at this moment in time I agree with him. Attack-wise i'd be having wet dreams about that right flank but also chilling nightmares from a defensive point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.