2017/18 Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd put much more money on him ending up like Rodwell than I would him ending up like Rooney.

Despite early promise Barkley has turned out to be a bang average player whose age has now exceeded any early potential by more than a season already. If he wasn't one of our own we'd have turned on him a long time ago. He's done nothing to repay our belief by leaving. By comparison, Rooney was clearly a potential world beater when he was 16 and has gone on to win practically every honour there is at club level.

See ye Ross Lar. Badly advised for certain but it was his choice at the end of the day. So when people in the future talk about Ross using the Rooney and Rodwell comparison, they'll put Ross in the Rodwell bracket.

What? Hamstrings made of spaghetti?

When he was fit, he played for City.

The lads injuries ruined his talent not the move.

Or the Emirates!!

I could see him going and doing well there, Arsenal fans I know rate him and he would get an easier time crowd-wise when you see how much Ozil is afforded in terms of drifting in and out of games, not tackling etc but for the occasional acts of wizardry.

For me, if Ross had more long range goals in his locker I'd be a bit more fussed about his impending departure. But then again I prefer midfielders of the Pienaar, Gueye & Davies ilk anyway, tidy and urgent.

Not disagreeing with the injuries. Rodwell wanted the move. That's where I meant for the comparison with Ross. His hamstrings could've been sorted well before then and he knew it. But he wouldn't have got the move to City.

Moyes ruined Rodwell. Rodwell was supposed to be a CB and played as one for most of his academy time. But Moyes told the Academy staff to make him a CM cos that's what he needed. I have that on first hand authority from one of the former senior coaching staff who worked with Rodwell for many years. And the same guy said as a CB he was one of the brightest talents he had ever seen and that included Rooney. Going completely off topic but same guy has been saying for last 5 years that Davies Walsh and Dowell will all make it to the top of the game.

Not disagreeing with the injuries. Rodwell wanted the move. That's where I meant for the comparison with Ross. His hamstrings could've been sorted well before then and he knew it. But he wouldn't have got the move to City.

Moyes ruined Rodwell. Rodwell was supposed to be a CB and played as one for most of his academy time. But Moyes told the Academy staff to make him a CM cos that's what he needed. I have that on first hand authority from one of the former senior coaching staff who worked with Rodwell for many years. And the same guy said as a CB he was one of the brightest talents he had ever seen and that included Rooney. Going completely off topic but same guy has been saying for last 5 years that Davies Walsh and Dowell will all make it to the top of the game.

@orly

Don't think that's true tbh. I remember when he left and as a fanbase we just collectively laughed, we couldn't believe City wanted him after a season of doing absolutely nothing. It was when the home grown rule first came in and they just went "right, who can we get dead cheap to fill the squad, Rodwell, Scott Sinclair, Richard Wright, let's go"

Just need this done so we can move on .. sick of hearing all the moaning about this lad. He got stick because he was not consistent which is the reason many on here are happy he is going .. for me I think it is exciting someone else will be getting his place. Onwards and upwards

Don't think that's true tbh. I remember when he left and as a fanbase we just collectively laughed, we couldn't believe City wanted him after a season of doing absolutely nothing. It was when the home grown rule first came in and they just went "right, who can we get dead cheap to fill the squad, Rodwell, Scott Sinclair, Richard Wright, let's go"

Which is still different to Barkley. None of the teams mention need him to fill a quota.

The Rodwell comparison usually gets mentioned as a dig to say "he left and failed cos he wasn't good as he thinks."

IMO Rodwell could never reach any potential due to his injuries rather than talent.

image.jpeg

Happy times.

Which is still different to Barkley. None of the teams mention need him to fill a quota.

The Rodwell comparison usually gets mentioned as a dig to say "he left and failed cos he wasn't good as he thinks."

IMO Rodwell could never reach any potential due to his injuries rather than talent.

Rodwell had a very low ceiling due to a terrible mentality. Just ridiculously passive.

I don't see that with Barkley personally - I can see the argument that his head goes down too easily, but he does impose himself on games and doesn't look to hide, which is what Rodwell did constantly for every game after his first 6 or so months in the team.

Rodwell had a very low ceiling due to a terrible mentality. Just ridiculously passive.

I don't see that with Barkley personally - I can see the argument that his head goes down too easily, but he does impose himself on games and doesn't look to hide, which is what Rodwell did constantly for every game after his first 6 or so months in the team.

I agree but still think he was at that stage of his development when he moved that would've made or break him. And I think the injuries broke him.

Roswell never had the build for a cb

Status
Not open for further replies.