2017/18 Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. A contract 'was offered'. Let's say that's true. But so what if it was derisory and/or offered grudgingly by a manager as a way of preserving the value of the player to the club while giving no assurances about shifting his new signings out of the team to preserve his place...a minimum looked for by any player signing a contract?

Lol

Nothing to do with the manager at all. It's not the 70's

I dont know. It's possible isn't it? If you have a history of pointing out how limited a player coming to the end of his contract is and how they should improve and that the lad is a senior player now and should be better, then why would you offer a bumper new contract to him?

I wouldn't. I'd shift them out after going through the motions...and I think that is exactly what Koeman is doing.
Some straws being clutched at here.

No. I've usually been pretty forgiving with his lineups. Rooney and Klassen is just a bad pairing and I don't know why he is forcing it.

We've played two games though mate it's far too early for me to be agreeing he's killing us with his selections. It was a Europa league tie against weaker opposition maybe he has something else up his sleeve for when the league kicks off. Hopefully Siggy will be here soon and will give another option as well.

Its possible. But in the current football world, utterly at odds with 100% of everything else. It would also flatly contradict the sort of price we would want.

"£50m for a player you have made a crap contract offer to?"

You lob the blame squarely at Koeman. I think other factors are in play.

That said, I wouldnt fall off my stool if he signs anyrate.
A manager coming here with short term objectives to be met and he sees a sale of Lukuku and Barkley as paying for a large part of the vision he wants to roll out in order to make an impact: it would certainly make sense to tell one of those players they can do better elsewhere with his blessing (which he did with Lukaku) and consistently undermine the other to prompt a move.

People in the industry and outside the club have spoken up on the issue and I dont think there's any smoke without fire here. Koeman is here for the short term and wont be arsed tip toeing around players he'd rather move on for the fee to bring his preferred players in.

I accept that though. If he wants to go that way that is his right. I dont agree with it and it's cost us, that would be my reaction.

The manager does not offer the contract, the board does. Has Barkley or his advisers stated that the offer made was not a good one? You cause trouble just for the hell of it don't you mate?
You think the board makes an assessment of whether a player should be offered a new contract or not without the manager telling them what's what?

But ok...

We've played two games though mate it's far too early for me to be agreeing he's killing us with his selections. It was a Europa league tie against weaker opposition maybe he has something else up his sleeve for when the league kicks off. Hopefully Siggy will be here soon and will give another option as well.
I was more or less challenging the people that think Barkley is irreplaceable. We will miss some of the qualities he brings, but we can build the team a different way and still be just as successful. It starts with bringing in a reliable target man.

Think it would be on the managers say so.... but not the terms or amount of the contract, that would be up to the board, chairman.
Doesn't ring true to me: a squad player gets brought in by the manager and then the club offer him wages at the higher end of the salary scale - what would that do to team cohesion?

You have to have a recognisable pecking order and bureaucrats aren't the people who can determine who gets what in terms of wages given their talent and squad usefulness.

Ok. A contract 'was offered'. Let's say that's true. But so what if it was derisory and/or offered grudgingly by a manager as a way of preserving the value of the player to the club while giving no assurances about shifting his new signings out of the team to preserve his place...a minimum looked for by any player signing a contract?

Dave - managers don't hand out contracts to players, they just say yay or nay to wanting the player and that is taken on board in the decision to offer or not to offer, the value of the contract, that will be getting decided by the CEO/Chairman etc

Dave - managers don't hand out contracts to players, they just say yay or nay to wanting the player and that is taken on board in the decision to offer or not to offer, the value of the contract, that will be getting decided by the CEO/Chairman etc

No mate, Koeman doesn't really want him to stay so personally offered him a tenner a week

What are the solid foundations to hang onto in this contract saga with Barkley?

I'll be happy to read the terms of the deal offered by the club which you no doubt have at your disposal...
I don't need evidence... I'll take a leaf from your book and presume.

I do know that for all of the times Koeman has talked about Barkley's need to improve he's given specifics as to what or said the club will work with him. Far from wanting him out the door, I see that as wanting him to improve at the club.

Doesn't ring true to me: a squad player gets brought in by the manager and then the club offer him wages at the higher end of the salary scale - what would that do to team cohesion?

You have to have a recognisable pecking order and bureaucrats aren't the people who can determine who gets what in terms of wages given their talent and squad usefulness.

Any Idea how much Pocch is offering him mate, and how come Levy has left the offering of his contract up to the manager for the first time ever?

Pretty naive, for reasons already outlined.

Status
Not open for further replies.