Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Barkley situation mystifies me.

Either club aren't sure on him or he isn't sold on the club. If it's the latter, I think the lad is either seriously misguided or is being given some poor advice.

He is the same age as Lukaku but at this moment in time, there is no comparison between them. Lets get this right, they are both 23 not 18.

Rightly, because he is the top goal scorer in the league, Everton's top in the Premier League ever, Lukaku is going to attract some serious interest in the summer. You look at teams who have historically finished above us and go, yeah, they would want Rom. He would improve Arsenal and Utd for starters. If Costa leaves Chelsea there will definitely be interest. 23 year olds with goal scoring records lack that are very rare.

Then I look at Barkley. He's a creative midfielder. There is not a short supply of them in the teams above us, nor is there a shortage on the continent (and they would cost significantly less). I don't think he would get into the starting 11 of the teams above us.

And my biggest pet hate is that Evertonians give him too much stick, we don't appreciate him. It's like because we have been brought up on spam and baked beans like Joe-Max Moore and Nyarko our taste buds are too common to appreciate the vintage champaign of a Barkley. Some of the mistakes he makes would irritate any football fan. Needlessly giving the ball away isn't tolerated by any of the top sides, or their fans.

If he moves to Tottenham and continues to make the same mistakes, he would get loads of stick. Don't forget he wouldn't be "one of their own" and there would be a decent transfer fee for him to live up to.

If he wants to become a top footballer the problem isn't fans giving him stick for making stupid mistakes, the problem is him making stupid mistakes. More often than not the issue with Barkley is his decision making, he wants to take too many touches, takes to long on the ball, doesn't play the simple pass when its on. Some people think you either have that decision making or you don't, time will tell with Ross.

Think it was against Hull in front of the Gwladys Street on the Bullens Road side. Rom played in Hollgate in the box. The pass to Ross was on and he immediately played it to him on the edge of the box. Ross's options were limited but he took a load of touches, didn't know what do with it, tried to go past a couple of their defenders, lost it and they broke on us. If you have space on the edge of the box and don't have too many options, just have a shot. But that wan't a one off.

If Lukaku leaves, that leaves us with a big headache because you just can't go out and find a replacement who will score that many goals. Ross? it would hurt because he's a blue and you want to see Everton winning things with Scousers in the team. But unfortunately for Ross, it's not out of the question that he could leave and he could be replaced by a more consistent performer, someone with the ability but with the decision making to go with it.

If I was Ross and I don't just say this because I am a blue and I would be banging on Koeman's door and begging for a new contract. I think blabbing on about Champions League is a dangerous game. If he thinks that he is good enough to be starting for Chelsea, Spurs, City or Liverpool good luck to him. Personally, I think it would be a bad move and he would likely move on within 2 years to a team well below Everton.

It irritates me. Rooney was 18, we were crap (talked down as relegation candidates), Rooney had just been the stand out performer for England in Euro in 2004 (top goalscorer) and was wanted by a Utd team who had won the league only a year earlier.

Ross is 23, we are not crap and are moving in the right direction, Ross can't get a game for England and is apparently attracting interest from a Spurs team who last won the FA Cup in 1991 and the league in 1961. They are playing their home matches at Wembley next year. I promise you they will not be title contenders.

If Ross wants to stay and Everton are stalling on a contract, perhaps because Koeman isn't convinced, I apologise to Ross. But if he rejects a new contract and moves on he deserves to get much more stick than Rooney.
The Barkley situation appears to be one of the club's making if, as believed, they haven't offered a contract to him.

My view is that he'll be sold if Lukaku gets a contract signed. The club are relying on players out the door to augment any spending this summer (same old same old regardless of Moshiri). If Lukaku is sold Barkley will be rewarded with a new bumper contract.

The Barkley situation appears to be one of the club's making if, as believed, they haven't offered a contract to him.

My view is that he'll be sold if Lukaku gets a contract signed. The club are relying on players out the door to augment any spending this summer (same old same old regardless of Moshiri). If Lukaku is sold Barkley will be rewarded with a new bumper contract.

Agree but disagree.

You don't know the financial workings of the club and when you state that Barkley will be sold to fund Rom's new deal that is pure guess work.

However, I think there Barkley's advisors may be telling him, if Lukaku leaves (i'm fairly convinced he will be off), the club can't afford to let you leave, there would be uproar amongst the fans if they sold Ross and Rom. Under such circumstances, they club may increase their original offer to Ross as they would be desperate to keep hm.

It would be similar to the Sturridge Suarez situation. Once Suarez left, Sturridge was the main man and got a nice big deal because they absolutely had to keep him.

Personally I think its a risky strategy for Ross because he could be replaced.

Agree but disagree.

You don't know the financial workings of the club and when you state that Barkley will be sold to fund Rom's new deal that is pure guess work.
However, I think there Barkley's advisors may be telling him, if Lukaku leaves (i'm fairly convinced he will be off), the club can't afford to let you leave, there would be uproar amongst the fans if they sold Ross and Rom. Under such circumstances, they club may increase their original offer to Ross as they would be desperate to keep hm.

It would be similar to the Sturridge Suarez situation. Once Suarez left, Sturridge was the main man and got a nice big deal because they absolutely had to keep him.

I wouldn't disagree with that as the possible dynamic at play here.

I dont know and you dont know...but what we can do is project on the basis of past evidence. And that means sell to buy - Moshiri era or not.

He is more hot and cold than Ross.

We have to cut Barkley some slack as he has only had a couple of bad games in 2017 and yesterday was one of them. If he is off form someone else has to step up and they didn't.

Idiots mate. Lanzini was just as bad yesterday. Done a fancy rabonna cross a d everybody is wetting themselves

Agree but disagree.

Koemans said we have the recousrces to keep all our players in an interview mate so you're right there

Agree but disagree.

I dont think Dave meant that one would be sold to pay for a big deal for the other. He is saying they wont sell both, but expects one will be sold because despite our new owner we still need to sell a major asset to generate any big activity in the transfer window. That in that sense things havent changed.

i'm not sure of the truth of that, but another summer of losing a major player and not investing much more than what we make for them will not go down well with a lot of fans who have seen precisely that many times with the club and are expecting different now. Regardless of whether net spend is worth talking about or not, the picture will be seen as simple as that by many.

Personally I believe Ross will sign and Lukaku will be here one more season at least whether he signs or not.

I dont know and you dont know...but what we can do is project on the basis of past evidence. And that means sell to buy - Moshiri era or not.
We will probably coup a little warchest of funds from the sales of say...

Niasse, Cleverly, Mccarthy? Deulofeu etc.

Can't see us selling either of Ross or Rom personally, those listed above should add up to a reasonable amount to reinvest

...I think the days of hand to mouth existence have gone, but the fair play restrictions will apply. I'd be amazed if a contract offer hasn't been made to Barkley, not sure where the indication that one hasn't is coming from. The interviews I've heard suggest offers have been made to both players but there's nothing the club can do if neither want to sign.

I suppose the vast majority of clubs want to balance the money coming in and out but I disagree that it's a necessity with us. I do think we'll start to see us competing more with the teams above us on the salary front whilst having a 'sensible, value for money' approach in the transfer market.

Ross was certainly not alone in having an ineffectual game yesterday and it is clear that many teams know the best way to play him is to crowd him out and force him to pass back or overplay it by trying to take on the two or three markers. Although he missed 2/3 good opportunities to release others and turned back instead I thought that yesterday it was the lack of good options particully in advanced positions on the wings which made matters worse. That said when those 2/3 opportunities were missed we had no-one else to deliver that killer pass, especially with Davies off and Lookman trying to make up for lost time by trying his luck from distance when maybe a short pass into the box was on. 2/3 chances to make a killer pass really should lead to one decent chance on goal though, easy to say from the stands.

Thoroughly disappointing for all concerned yesterday but for me it was more to do with a lack of options other than Ross to create something when he was not playing well rather than him being much worse than others. Fair comment though to say that more will be expected from those with more talent. Hopefully we will take it out on Chelsea....typical of us if we do.

I think him wanting to stay/go is down to if Rom stays. He wants to see that the club want to go places.

I'm not convinced that it's down to the club "not wanting him" - Koeman's a big fan of him now and he'll be wanting him to stay.

...I think the days of hand to mouth existence have gone, but the fair play restrictions will apply. I'd be amazed if a contract offer hasn't been made to Barkley, not sure where the indication that one hasn't is coming from. The interviews I've heard suggest offers have been made to both players but there's nothing the club can do if neither want to sign.

I suppose the vast majority of clubs want to balance the money coming in and out but I disagree that it's a necessity with us. I do think we'll start to see us competing more with the teams above us on the salary front whilst having a 'sensible, value for money' approach in the transfer market.
I see no evidence of that yet.

No club in this day and age in the PL are short of cash to spend, but in relative terms we still in the same spot - augmenting transfer war chests with sales....and we will again this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.