Ronald Koeman

Ronald Koeman...good choice for us?

• yes, he'll get us top 6 and stability

• no, it's uninspiring even if top 6 is back on

• josé on toast

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an appointment within our standing in the game at the moment, average and not top drawer. It's an appointment below what I expected with the new board and the money being spent. However, it's exciting to have a new manager and seeing exactly what he can do. I am looking forward to seeing his first team sheet, in the hope that McCarthy, Kone, Osman, Cleverley etc are not featured and then I know exciting times may well be ahead.

I don't have a problem with Koeman in terms of his ability. It's his status in the game which isn't ideal, which is odd saying for a player of his calibre.

I'm sure he'll do fine, but it's a "plucky little Everton" appointment rather than a "we're looking to win titles" one.

He is the Dutch Moyes. The Premier League records are almost identical (stripping out the first few seasons for Moyes), the shots created and shots allowed stats are practically the same.

I agree it is solid top 8 appointment rather than a win titles appointment but that will only come when Moshiri has shown he means business.

If Sammy Lee follows him I'm gonna dropkick my mam in the tits[/QUOTE

images
upload_2016-6-4_16-12-24.jpeg

I have always wanted emery. However, the media have spent the last few weeks telling us that Koeman wasn't going to come here as he is in line to take over at Arsenal or Barcelona in 12 months time. So, despite him not being the man I would have chosen he should still be considered an ambitious choice.

He is the Dutch Moyes. The Premier League records are almost identical (stripping out the first few seasons for Moyes), the shots created and shots allowed stats are practically the same.

I agree it is solid top 8 appointment rather than a win titles appointment but that will only come when Moshiri has shown he means business.

Agree, Tier one managers need to see concrete evidence not "Plans" And Everton as club need to be challenging for champions league or making champions league to attract that level manager. I think evidence points those are pretty clear facts in footballs current state

He's wouldn't have been my 1st choice but there again who's to say he was the boards first choice? None of us are privy to the negotiations that have been going on between Everton, agents and targets so Koeman may well be the best choice available - it's difficult to absolutely know one way or the other.

What I do know is that we now (it seems) have a manager who is very well known throughout Europe with a reputation as a top level player behind him. And we have a manager who despite having a mixed track record at various clubs has also dealt successfully with the pressure of being favourites and getting over the finish line. Something we've not had in a long time and a change from perennial plucky underdogs such as Joe Royle at Oldham, Martinez at Wigan and ahem....Mike Walker.

There's always an element of risk with a new manager. Can you imagine the fume if we'd got shut of Martinez a year earlier and gone for 64 year old Claudio "Faroe Islands" Ranieri?

He's wouldn't have been my 1st choice but there again who's to say he was the boards first choice? None of us are privy to the negotiations that have been going on between Everton, agents and targets so Koeman may well be the best choice available - it's difficult to absolutely know one way or the other.

What I do know is that we now (it seems) have a manager who is very well known throughout Europe with a reputation as a top level player behind him. And we have a manager who despite having a mixed track record at various clubs has also dealt successfully with the pressure of being favourites and getting over the finish line. Something we've not had in a long time and a change from perennial plucky underdogs such as Joe Royle at Oldham, Martinez at Wigan and ahem....Mike Walker.

There's always an element of risk with a new manager. Can you imagine the fume if we'd got shut of Martinez a year earlier and gone for 64 year old Claudio "Faroe Islands" Ranieri?
He wasn't my first choice to be honest but I'm behind him 100% though moshiri has had good reasons to appoint him and we don't know the blue print for the club we know they'res substantial players funds this year and a possible new stadium on the horizon he's going to be a lot better then Martinez it's a start in the right direction now

Seems a lot of Evertonians regard him as an underwhelming signing. Not good enough to lead Everton into the new era and a step down from the so called elite like Mourinho, Pellegrini, Emery etc...etc... they were hoping for.

The Dutch media and football fans seem to totally not understand why he opted for Everton. Should've waited for the Arsenal/Barca job and Soton to Everton is a sideway step at best.

Maybe that explains why as a Dutch Evertonian I see Koeman as the perfect candidate for leading the Moshiri revolution and quest to restore Everton to its rightful place

Some people seem to be underwhelmed. To be honest im excited. Excited at the prospect of a new beginning and as a personality as a player and manager this is a huge upgrade on journeyman player and championship play off defeat manger David Moyes and journeyman player and relegated FA Cup winning manager Roberto Phenomenal Martinez. I would consider Koemans time in charge of Ajax and PSV as a success. He did what was asked of him at those clubs. He won the Eredevise twice at Ajax. The league and cup double in 2002 and another league title in 2004. He won another league title as manager at PSV. Benfica did finish third behind their main rivals Sporting Lisbon and Porto when he was there but they did reach the champions league quarter finals. That Benfica team ended Liverpools reign as champions and Barcelona the eventual winners knocked them out. There's no disgrace in that. His time at Valencia didn't work out but they did win their first Copa Del Rey since 1999 when he was there. There was that disastrous spell at AZ Alkemar but he put in a few decent seasons at Feyenoord after that before going to Southampton. People play down what he did at Southampton saying it was a Moyes like job. Getting Southampton to 7th and 6th place was a fine achievement. They were three points short of a champions league place this year as well. Koeman was also part of the dutch backroom team at the 1998 world cup when they lost to Brazil in the semi final on penalties. He was also an assistant manager at Barcelona. His footballing career unlike Moyes (apart from his time as a player at Celtic) and Martinez when they came to us has taken in some of Europes biggest clubs.

Im just glad we dont have Martinez tbh. Koeman will be far better tactically and for the development of our young players. He is gonna need to replace Rom though

Will depend on signings and outgoings in the summer as to whether top 6 is the aim or if we can dream of top 4

Some people seem to be underwhelmed. To be honest im excited. Excited at the prospect of a new beginning and as a personality as a player and manager this is a huge upgrade on journeyman player and championship play off defeat manger David Moyes and journeyman player and relegated FA Cup winning manager Roberto Phenomenal Martinez. His footballing career unlike Moyes (apart from his time as a player at Celtic) and Martinez when they came to us has taken in some of Europes biggest clubs.

I don't care how good he was as a player. It is completely irrelevant to his skill as a manager. Otherwise we should have appointed Diego Maradonna and been done with it.

As a coach he is about the same level as Moyes. For me that is a good thing. Moyes was a very good club manager and far better than most other managers around. We won't get the true elite until we have shown we have the backing.

Seems a lot of Evertonians regard him as an underwhelming signing. Not good enough to lead Everton into the new era and a step down from the so called elite like Mourinho, Pellegrini, Emery etc...etc... they were hoping for.

The Dutch media and football fans seem to totally not understand why he opted for Everton. Should've waited for the Arsenal/Barca job and Soton to Everton is a sideway step at best.

Maybe that explains why as a Dutch Evertonian I see Koeman as the perfect candidate for leading the Moshiri revolution and quest to restore Everton to its rightful place
Some people seem to be underwhelmed. To be honest im excited. Excited at the prospect of a new beginning and as a personality as a player and manager this is a huge upgrade on journeyman player and championship play off defeat manger David Moyes and journeyman player and relegated FA Cup winning manager Roberto Phenomenal Martinez. I would consider Koemans time in charge of Ajax and PSV as a success. He did what was asked of him at those clubs. He won the Eredevise twice at Ajax. The league and cup double in 2002 and another league title in 2004. He won another league title as manager at PSV. Benfica did finish third behind their main rivals Sporting Lisbon and Porto when he was there but they did reach the champions league quarter finals. That Benfica team ended Liverpools reign as champions and Barcelona the eventual winners knocked them out. There's no disgrace in that. His time at Valencia didn't work out but they did win their first Copa Del Rey since 1999 when he was there. There was that disastrous spell at AZ Alkemar but he put in a few decent seasons at Feyenoord after that before going to Southampton. People play down what he did at Southampton saying it was a Moyes like job. Getting Southampton to 7th and 6th place was a fine achievement. They were three points short of a champions league place this year as well. Koeman was also part of the dutch backroom team at the 1998 world cup when they lost to Brazil in the semi final on penalties. He was also an assistant manager at Barcelona. His footballing career unlike Moyes (apart from his time as a player at Celtic) and Martinez when they came to us has taken in some of Europes biggest clubs.

Im just glad we dont have Martinez tbh. Koeman will be far better tactically and for the development of our young players. He is gonna need to replace Rom though
God imagine if Bill still had control and Martinez was here!!

I'm quietly pleased with Koeman to be honest. Put it this way, before Emery was mentioned I was in camp Koeman, so hopefully he'll deliver.

Was he a snidey player? We need some snide.

God imagine if Bill still had control and Martinez was here!!

I'm quietly pleased with Koeman to be honest. Put it this way, before Emery was mentioned I was in camp Koeman, so hopefully he'll deliver.

Was he a snidey player? We need some snide.

And he was a fine attacking defender in his day as well.Perhaps John Stones will stick around and learn from a true master of attacking defensive play.

Good appointment. The main thing is that we improve and start going in the right direction again. The minute that we stop improving is when we move Ronald on.

We can't run before we can walk, and the mess Roberto left has crippled us.

This seems like a long term business plan, and it's an exciting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.