Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha Ha. This feller at Barcelona.

About as likely as when the nobhead British media had Martinez going there. I suppose they need their talking point for the next 48 hours before the footy starts again.

They saw what he did at Valencia. There's no way they'd go for Koeman. No trophies in the past decade. I think Barcelona are looking for a bit better than that, tbh.
Ah some sanity to the thread, then again, perhaps not

Barcelona's last 5 managers had won no trophies of worth (Martino had some in South America) before being hired.
Enrique, Vilanova and Guardiola all had a lot of experience managing Barcelona B and Rijkaard had made a decent go of the Dutch manager's job before going to Barcelona.

What unites all the post Cruyff managerial appointments is a commitment to a particular way of playing football with minor adaptations regarding formations and intensity of when and how long to press. But the core of it is to control the ball as much as you can. Koeman will do that to a point but the there's no disguising the fact that he'll go back to front quickly a hell of a lot more than any Barcelona team ever does. There's also no emphasis on counter attacking from Koeman, which form's a massive part of Barcelona's style. Koeman's teams might get a ball played to the halfway line for Lukaku, for example, to race onto and hold off the last defender, but there's no committing numbers to a counter attack in the way that Barcelona will do.

I think he'd drive them mad with his football, tbh.

It's just a poor fit unless they wish to go another direction. But he's been 17 years in the game and not really shown he has a CV to pull that job off. Benfica and Valencia (the clubs most Barcelona fans would look to as some form of measure) were respectively unspectacular/disastrous.

Enrique, Vilanova and Guardiola all had a lot of experience managing Barcelona B and Rijkaard had made a decent go of the Dutch manager's job before going to Barcelona.

What unites all the post Cruyff managerial appointments is a commitment to a particular way of playing football with minor adaptations regarding formations and intensity of when and how long to press. But the core of it is to control the ball as much as you can. Koeman will do that to a point but the there's no disguising the fact that he'll go back to front quickly a hell of a lot more than any Barcelona team ever does. There's also no emphasis on counter attacking from Koeman, which form's a massive part of Barcelona's style. Koeman's teams might get a ball played to the halfway line for Lukaku, for example, to race onto and hold off the last defender, but there's no committing numbers to a counter attack in the way that Barcelona will do.

I think he'd drive them mad with his football, tbh.

It's just a poor fit unless they wish to go another direction. But he's been 17 years in the game and not really shown he has a CV to pull that job off. Benfica and Valencia (the clubs most Barcelona fans would look to as some form of measure) were respectively unspectacular/disastrous.

Oh I agree he wouldn't fit there at all with his style; I've said that from day one. Was just pointing out unlike most of the big club they don't see fussed about previous in the silverware department.

IMG_3464.JPG
Hahaha

My guess is they don't want him - yet. whilst our media are so blinded to the rest of the world they assume any big job in football must immediately be filled by a premierleague manager - Ideally one from a team they feel isn't worthy of the manager they currently have (David Moyes being linked to Spurs every time that job came up or Roberto his first season) but i think the Spanish journo's no a little more and expect the Seville manager to take the hot-seat at Barca.
Koeman would will better off staying with us the full 3 years and build the team. Barca will probably be looking for another manager by then and if Ron has got us into the champions league with a champions league level team then he will have earned the right to move and we will be able to attract another great manager to fill his space.

Eddie Howe says he has a soft spot for EFC and has done a brilliant job.

I would much prefer an Eddie Howe to a Mancini or a Roy Hodgson or any other over-rated
big noise.

Somehow I think that the Selection Committee at Barca (i.e. Messi) will prefer an easier
to manipulate master than Mr. Koeman.
Eddie howe is literally the English Martinez. Used to like the idea of him coming here, then I actually watched them play a few games. No thanks.

Either way koeman won't be going anywhere imo

Under no impressions here that Koeman has any love or loyalty for Everton.
Don't get me wrong, he's a great manager for us at the moment and I want him to stay and keep improving us.

He binned Southampton for more money and a bigger club and he'll bin us if a bigger and richer club want him.
Throw in the fact that he has an affinity for Barcelona there can be no doubt he'd jump immediately if they came calling.

That being said, I don't think he'll be at the top of Barca's list at the moment. He's probably not even in the top 3.

Koeman's style is more suited to England than Spain, hence his Valencia debacle, yes he'd have world class players at his disposal but I suspect they'll want someone who likes to play the Barca way

Status
Not open for further replies.