Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst thing that can happen to this team is qualify this season for the EL. I can see the dilemma: finishing 8th and out of the EL places for certain would look like not much progress has been made. Finishing 7th (though a mere one place above) is more saleable as progress because we have all now been spoon fed that 7th represents 'the best of the rest' (not in my view, but that's another debate).

Evertonians should pray that S'ton beat Liverpool tonight and get one of those EL spots, and that a possible route into the EL via the FA Cup goes a similar way. Next season will be carnage in the PL if this lot are playing Thursday/Sunday on a regular basis.
I agree EL can be a poisoned chalice. I've never got my head round this Thurs/Sun thing but teams do seem to struggle with it.

But if we're going to ever make the step up as a club we're just going to have to keatn to cope with 2 games per week and the sooner we start the better imo.

No mate. When we we were with Moyes and he had us in Europe he had a settled team - he was about 3/4 seasons into his time here and had time to build that first squad of his up and have them playing...and, btw, we always struggled until the second half of the season until we were out of that ridiculous competition. The EL is basically like the Battle of the Somme. You fight like crazy to get two yards forward.

...and 8th would be nothing. Absolutely nothing. As is 7th, btw, it was nothing under Moyes (as you well know and others do because we took the piss out of the 7th placed trophy often enough, and it is so still...no matter how many mugs want to fall for the 'Sensational Top Six' nonsense now being bandied about to excuse mediocrity in the PL).

7th would show progress tho, its an improvement, as ive said, I just want to improve every season, so 7th this season would be a massive improvement on 11th, next season I will be expecting a lot more, but we need Europa League to attract those higher tier players, the higher tier players are the 1s that propel teams to the promised land.

But we can improve on 7th this season, ive no doubt in that, I mean the teams above us arent settled, United have a new manager, the vermins season is starting to fray, they are there to be got at, but we just need to worry about us for now, take every game as it comes, prepare, do what we can and then see where it takes us.

...so far. The season still has a third to go. I dont see us maintaining this run and there will be another dip. It's what Koeman teams do, imo.

We'll end up on 60-62 points and in 7th. Acceptable first season for Koeman. Then he has to get into the top 5/6 next season, and after that (if he's still here, he needs to get top 4/5).

Koemans teams in this league have 1 dip per season.

Always around winter time, 1 dip per season, weve had ours.

I agree EL can be a poisoned chalice. I've never got my head round this Thurs/Sun thing but teams do seem to struggle with it.

But if we're going to ever make the step up as a club we're just going to have to keatn to cope with 2 games per week and the sooner we start the better imo.
Only if you have full financial backing to build a strong squad...and even then...

It'll be interesting to see how Koeman copes. Moyes and Martinez suffered with it. Thursday to Sunday schedule with this group of players = no chance.

Only if you have full financial backing to build a strong squad...and even then...

It'll be interesting to see how Koeman copes. Moyes and Martinez suffered with it. Thursday to Sunday schedule with this group of players = no chance.

Im sorry Dave but Moyes didnt struggle with it, there was never any drop in league placing under Moyes in seasons we had Europa.

7th would show progress tho, its an improvement, as ive said, I just want to improve every season, so 7th this season would be a massive improvement on 11th, next season I will be expecting a lot more, but we need Europa League to attract those higher tier players, the higher tier players are the 1s that propel teams to the promised land.

But we can improve on 7th this season, ive no doubt in that, I mean the teams above us arent settled, United have a new manager, the vermins season is starting to fray, they are there to be got at, but we just need to worry about us for now, take every game as it comes, prepare, do what we can and then see where it takes us.
I think you overestimate the pulling power of a EL place for players. They just want a massive pay packet if you dont have CL footy for them.

If we improve on 7th this season what does it get? A EL place. Then Kpeman has the onerous task next season of improving on that AND dealing with a fixture pile up.

Good luck with that.

How many points did he get last season for the last few months of the season mate ?
...with a settled side that he knew the strengths of.

It wont happen this season. Good teams ahead of Everton who have allowed in the last few weeks a few points to slip away but they will accelerate away again, especially so when we suffer the next slide in form (inevitable).

Im sorry Dave but Moyes didnt struggle with it, there was never any drop in league placing under Moyes in seasons we had Europa.
We didn't push on and we had to scramble for points late in the season to catch up to where we were in preceding seasons. There's no question the EL campaigns destroys seasons. None.

Status
Not open for further replies.