Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
People make me laugh when they say we didn't get a centre forward.

We got one who got 15 goals in La Liga last season.

What they actually mean when they say that is, he didn't cost enough money to satisfy their requirements. If there was no clause and we didn't get him so cheap, this really would not be an issue.
If we bought him on deadline day for 30m I still wouldn't have been excited.

Why?

Because he's a young lad with barely one years worth of top flight experience to his name in a completely different league.

And he's not a target man.

Ironically he would have been perfect to play off from Lukaku last season, with Enner as another option.

Got high hopes for Sandro, he's just not our target *man.

If we bought him on deadline day for 30m I still wouldn't have been excited.

Why?

Because he's a young lad with barely one years worth of top flight experience to his name in a completely different league.

And he's not a target man.

Ironically he would have been perfect to play off from Lukaku last season, with Enner as another option.

Got high hopes for Sandro, he's just not our target *man.
With the way we have used him so far under Koeman, you would think he is. Hoofball to Sandro

Put him in that Mirallas role on the left, and I'd almost guarantee you'd have an upgrade in that position. He loves to cut in and shoot, and he can cross with either foot.
For me, DCL and Sandro have to be playing together and we'd instantly see something different (for the better).

Put an actual winger on the opposite side too, maybe then we could look somewhat incisive in our attacking play.

For me, DCL and Sandro have to be playing together and we'd instantly see something different (for the better).

Put an actual winger on the opposite side too, maybe then we could look somewhat incisive in our attacking play.
Hence eliminating the pace problem completely on the wings. We can play these slower lineups when we have a target man and a faster defensive line. We can't press effectively as our back line has to defend to deeply.

Hence eliminating the pace problem completely on the wings. We can play these slower lineups when we have a target man and a faster defensive line. We can't press effectively as our back line has to defend to deeply.
Brings me back to Koemans famous 'we like to press, we come to play attacking football' - followed by us doing the exact opposite.

As you've just said, our lack of pace and pressing up the field (or pressing at all) just means we are defending deeper and deeper.

Then we bypass the midfield with a good ol' hoof and lose the ball because we're so slow in trying to support.

Brings me back to Koemans famous 'we like to press, we come to play attacking football' - followed by us doing the exact opposite.

As you've just said, our lack of pace and pressing up the field (or pressing at all) just means we are defending deeper and deeper.

Then we bypass the midfield with a good ol' hoof and lose the ball because we're so slow in trying to support.
It worked for like 2 mins in the Tottenham game lol.... It's just not sustainable with the personnel that we have. Play with wingers and play for the counter attack you fat dutch baby... and DCL up top

This might sound like I'm a crazy hipster, but someone should tell him to play our Strikers in the Striker role (one of Sandro or DCL), wingers in the winger role (Mirallas, Lookman, Vlasic), and play one number ten instead of three, mental I know, but it just might work.

The decision he's made to expect 4 midfielders to replace Lukaku's goals is a bit mental, midfielders need a focal point to move play forward in order to get a goal scoring opportunity, otherwise we're just going to be passing it to each other in midfield all day like in that Simpsons episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.