Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't get a single shot...that's the third time against a top six opponent. Stop any service stop Lukaku. No top player is ever completely anonymous in a game. If he doesn't score he might as well not be on the field as he doesn't do anything else.

The reason he will never be a top player (as opposed to being a top goalscorer) is he's an average outfield player. His touch is woeful, he is not a link player, plus he is slow on the turn. He's an excellent finisher...but in the modern game more is needed than that. He is completely reliant on service. You won't see him for 89 minutes and then bang he may get a goal (as happened with Belgium in their draw with Greece)...that's not enough. A top player compliments the others, Lukaku is detrimental to the others. He gets so many goals as everything has to be geared towards him as opposed to the team, which in turn means less goals for the team overall. There is no movement, no pulling defenders all over the place and being a constant nuisance. He's only good when hes on the end of stuff.

So given the context of your remarks would you say Ibrahimovic is not a top player ?

Lovren had Rom in his back pocket all afternoon. Lovren.

Sink-In.jpg

Tells you all you need to know about Rom's performance against the rs.

It's happened against - in fairness - worst defenders than Lovren before though.

But it all comes down to him being isolated.

His performance was poor, but the service into him (or more accurately, the support around him) was worse.

The main joy he got was when he drifted wide. Obviously though that's counter-productive because we then have no finisher in the middle.

It's something that needs working on in games like that. We need to get a player around him so the defence aren't able to double-up on Rom.

He didn't get a single shot...that's the third time against a top six opponent. Stop any service stop Lukaku. No top player is ever completely anonymous in a game. If he doesn't score he might as well not be on the field as he doesn't do anything else.

The reason he will never be a top player (as opposed to being a top goalscorer) is he's an average outfield player. His touch is woeful, he is not a link player, plus he is slow on the turn. He's an excellent finisher...but in the modern game more is needed than that. He is completely reliant on service. You won't see him for 89 minutes and then bang he may get a goal (as happened with Belgium in their draw with Greece)...that's not enough. A top player compliments the others, Lukaku is detrimental to the others. He gets so many goals as everything has to be geared towards him as opposed to the team, which in turn means less goals for the team overall. There is no movement, no pulling defenders all over the place and being a constant nuisance. He's only good when hes on the end of stuff.
I agree with all of this mate. Although it sounds crazy to think we might be better off without him, there is a precedent. When we had lineker he was the focus for the team. He scored a shed load of goals but we won nothing. Close but essentially ended up with no trophies. Only a season before we played more as a team, shared the goals around the team and won trophies.

Everyone was poor in the derby.

Give it a rest.

If he doesn't look arsed tonight then we can start thinking he is gone and doesn't care but I very much doubt that.

We are just terrible against Liverpool.

Everyone was poor in the derby.

Give it a rest.

If he doesn't look arsed tonight then we can start thinking he is gone and doesn't care but I very much doubt that.

We are just terrible against Liverpool.

I think a lot of the frustration comes from the fact that it was a derby and we massively underperformed again. People are reacting worst because it was them lot again.

Like you say, it's a bad game and every team has them.

I think a lot of the frustration comes from the fact that it was a derby and we massively underperformed again. People are reacting worst because it was them lot again.

Like you say, it's a bad game and every team has them.

Every thread has been so negative yet we would be top of the league in 2017 and have played some excellent football.

I see the derby as an anomaly and we should just move on. It's been a brilliant season for Everton in terms of acquisitions, the youth, u23s, stadium, Ron, mosh, and getting rid of cleverley.

I agree with all of this mate. Although it sounds crazy to think we might be better off without him, there is a precedent. When we had lineker he was the focus for the team. He scored a shed load of goals but we won nothing. Close but essentially ended up with no trophies. Only a season before we played more as a team, shared the goals around the team and won trophies.
He's a big unit,defenders should come off the field knowing they've been in a game whatever the score.the rs centre backs didn't break sweat...criminal.

He's a big unit,defenders should come off the field knowing they've been in a game whatever the score.the rs centre backs didn't break sweat...criminal.

But he's not that type of player. How many times does it have to be said?

He wasn't anywhere near good enough Saturday but that was just a reflection of the service into him.

A poor team performance. Hopefully they're all better tonight.

A top player would think 'I'll show that lot'. Lukaku wants it all on a plate. I'm sure he'll soon find himself at a club where he can rely on real top players to win his trophies for him.

Everything he has said and done this season to improve his game says otherwise.

But he's not that type of player. How many times does it have to be said?

He wasn't anywhere near good enough Saturday but that was just a reflection of the service into him.

A poor team performance. Hopefully they're all better tonight.
So what your saying is if he gets no service,standing around with your hands on your hips is the viable option?Closing down defenders high up the pitch oddly seems to get results for some teams.Or are you saying he isn't fit enough to put in a shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.