Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the critical comments from the press are fair to be honest. He brought it upon himself speaking to the press about his ambition and then doesnt back it up in big games, if he had kept his mouth shut he would not be getting any negative comments. He was marked out of the game yesterday, we are blighted with injuries, and Koeman put Mirrallas on far to late to do anything. The only time lukaku got a bit of space was when kev drew 4 or 5 players with him, this is koemans fault for not starting him, and he probably knows that his selection rendered Rom pretty much useless.
Anyway lets batter united and get a new stadium rub it in the kopites faces I still think we will finish above those filthy reds

He didn't get a single shot...that's the third time against a top six opponent. Stop any service stop Lukaku. No top player is ever completely anonymous in a game. If he doesn't score he might as well not be on the field as he doesn't do anything else.

The reason he will never be a top player (as opposed to being a top goalscorer) is he's an average outfield player. His touch is woeful, he is not a link player, plus he is slow on the turn. He's an excellent finisher...but in the modern game more is needed than that. He is completely reliant on service. You won't see him for 89 minutes and then bang he may get a goal (as happened with Belgium in their draw with Greece)...that's not enough. A top player compliments the others, Lukaku is detrimental to the others. He gets so many goals as everything has to be geared towards him as opposed to the team, which in turn means less goals for the team overall. There is no movement, no pulling defenders all over the place and being a constant nuisance. He's only good when hes on the end of stuff.

I think some of the stick Rom is getting for the weekend from the media is a bit unfair. Like many of our games against better teams he was totally isolated at times and constantly had two men on him, where their strikers constantly had half a pitch to run into with no one near them.
Movement mate.

Beg to differ.

There are at least 10 attacking midfielders in the premier league alone who can play barkley's passing game and who have scored more than him in the last year. AND the there is a realistic chance most of these would sign for Everton as we are and with a good offer. Hardly any strikers can score goals like Lukaku PLUS those strkers that can actually score like Lukaku are not going to be moving to a non CL club like Everton no matter what we offer them.

I think if we carry on the same way playing to Lukakus strengths we will never get to where we want to be, it's either adding a top striker to play along side him or change style with new strikers. Your right he will probably get to the top and win trophies but it will be with a team that has more or less bought the trophies (Chelsea,city,man Utd,PSG) we seem to be building with a mix of youngsters, decent players we already had before Koeman and a few more modest price quality additions, the way we are doing it I belive is the best way. Don't get me wrong Lukaku is great against average teams but pretty much useless in big games, the weekend game really exposed the fact that he can't up his game for these games, so I'm not bothered if he goes or stays.

He didn't get a single shot...that's the third time against a top six opponent. Stop any service stop Lukaku. No top player is ever completely anonymous in a game. If he doesn't score he might as well not be on the field as he doesn't do anything else.

The reason he will never be a top player (as opposed to being a top goalscorer) is he's an average outfield player. His touch is woeful, he is not a link player, plus he is slow on the turn. He's an excellent finisher...but in the modern game more is needed than that. He is completely reliant on service. You won't see him for 89 minutes and then bang he may get a goal (as happened with Belgium in their draw with Greece)...that's not enough. A top player compliments the others, Lukaku is detrimental to the others. He gets so many goals as everything has to be geared towards him as opposed to the team, which in turn means less goals for the team overall. There is no movement, no pulling defenders all over the place and being a constant nuisance. He's only good when hes on the end of stuff.
100% correct, I would love to see him in our team playing along side say vardy, Lukaku on his own is just to reliant on him doing the business and in the big games, he just isn't up to it.

Lovren had Rom in his back pocket all afternoon. Lovren.

Sink-In.jpg

Tells you all you need to know about Rom's performance against the rs.

Clinical finisher. It's a complete shocker for him to miss the target when in front of goal. There is a lot of value in that sorta thing.

That said he is not a world class striker because he does not boast a complete striker's skill set. His link-up play is abysmal due to a horrid first touch, his lack of an eye for a through ball, and the blatant disregard for off the ball movement.

I highly doubt he will ever be proficient in a role that requires him to create offense, but that doesn't mean he cannot be a world class finisher.

In a team such as Arsenal that has an overabundance of creative players and no true finishers he would be a godsend; however, as is with Everton he is perceived as inconsistent, when in fact he is not inconsistent at all. He is just a limited player.

He's scored 3 in 8 against top teams, in games we often struggle overall, and yet the typically anti Everton media has convinced even our own fan base that he doesn't show up against the top sides

"a top player (as opposed to being a top goalscorer)"

For strikers- teams want top scorers not 'top players' every time, surely?

Pity him tbh.
There were a few moments during Saturdays match where Barkley's passes couldn't find him during the counter attack

I thought this season especially Rom has often Found space, Scored all types of goals been less selfish and worked harder than ever for the team. He had a bad game against our bogey side...he certainly was not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.