Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite the injuries dave he has been poor since the summer.
Pre season was a joke and he should have worked better in the transfer market.
His subs and tactics have been sub standard and mistakes keep happening to suggest there is something underlying going on.
The Distin thing is strange and we have no plan b.
Out tempo is slow and the players are playing well under par.
Injuries happen mate but I am worried about Martinez something is not right.
Wigan went down waving the white flag and I question his appetite .
He is such a nice man but is it weakness I don't know?

I agree 100% Martinez fell asleep at the wheel in the immediate aftermath of the WC. For the life of me, I'll never understand why he allowed Mirallas and Lukaku extra 'WC recovery time'. and the preseason energy was pathetic. As you say, he had a nightmare transfer window in terms of balancing out the cash.

However, I do trace almost every low we've had back to the Barkley injury at the start of the season. We were stumped by it. The shape and discipline of the team hasn't been there all season...in fact it may have contributed to others needing to do a lot more and getting injured.

What game would everyone say (league only) has been the most dissapointing this season? Palace surely?

Arsenal for me.

Well, specifically the last seven minutes.

Having outplayed them up to that stage, walking off the pitch with a 2-0 or even 2-1 victory would have sent out a huge message that we were still in business and on the up after last season's progress.

I am still not despairing, though.

Long way to go and two wins in a row starting a week on Saturday will see us knocking on the door of the CL spots again.

Three wins would likely see us in fourth.

Bottom line.....despite the stuttering start we have not lost that much ground on the teams we feel are our rivals for top four.

Things aren't so bad just now.....they are just more wrong than right.

I still believe in Bob ;)

I agree 100% Martinez fell asleep at the wheel in the immediate aftermath of the WC. For the life of me, I'll never understand why he allowed Mirallas and Lukaku extra 'WC recovery time'. and the preseason energy was pathetic. As you say, he had a nightmare transfer window in terms of balancing out the cash.

However, I do trace almost every low we've had back to the Barkley injury at the start of the season. We were stumped by it. The shape and discipline of the team hasn't been there all season...in fact it may have contributed to others needing to do a lot more and getting injured.
Yeah I see your point about Barkley but my concern would be why put so much pressure on him being so young and knowing barkley was going to be out for a spell why not get a replacement in.
Its like he has to play Naismith there at all costs and its not working.

It's not just Barkley.

Last season we had three players who at any given time would be the driving force of an attack.....and they were able to do it from the right when Seamus bombed on, from the left when Kev got into full stride and straight through the middle with Ross.

Add to that we had Gerald on a going day and Rom when he was able to run on to a ball and surge forward like a Sherman tank.

That has all gone this season so far ergo our attacks have been ponderous at times and counter attacking non existent.

LOL

We had an outstanding transfer window, anybody that claims different is living in actual cuckoo land.
We missed a trick not sorting the defence and goalkeeping area and should have taken a replacement for ross.
Atsu looks raw and not ready to step in anytime soon.
The rest were good signings but we still go into this season with the same numbers more or less as last and we now have the Europa league.
Only other point I would make is did we panic over rom and overspend on him

IMO Bobby was wrong to put all his eggs in the Lukaku basket. Everyone knew the squad was thin and unbalanced.
He should have spent 15-20 million on a striker ( Bony ,Wellbeck , Bacca etc ) , and the rest ( 8 - 13 million ) on Indi-Martins and a reserve right back

We currently have about 6 players out injured, yet our bench is still jam packed with International talent, the squad depth is fine.

We are currently in a massive slump form wise, but we know what Rom can do.

When everybodys fit we will have a bench brimming with talent and lots of talented players kicking their heels in the stands.

No team in the world builds a squad just in case they lose 6 of their best players to injury or form, sorry theres 1 team that does, they are called Real Madrid and have spent almost a billion pounds in doing it.

Could this signing turn out to be our Andy Carroll moment?

nick-cage-lol.gif

And people ask me why I have so many people on ignore.

nick-cage-lol.gif

And people ask me why I have so many people on ignore.

The same people might then ask you why you have taken at least one person off "ignore". Otherwise you wouldn't have seen my post and therefore been unable to make such an inane reply.

I would suggest you don't really put people on "ignore" as you are way too prickly to allow any perceived slight to pass.

And that would be a sign of weakness to fellows like you.

People who constantly brag about having people on "ignore" rarely do so.

The "ignore" function is for the simple minded....if a person cannot read what another writes, no matter how silly they regard it, without succumbing to some overarching compulsion to reply to it then they should give their head a wobble.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I see your point about Barkley but my concern would be why put so much pressure on him being so young and knowing barkley was going to be out for a spell why not get a replacement in.
Its like he has to play Naismith there at all costs and its not working.

I'd have played Mirallas in that position before Naismith. But I dont think he's been strong enough, Martinez. He's put Naismith in and seen him get a goal or two and felt like he needs to be seen to keep him there even though the shape of the team is affected by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.