Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely not. If he finishes outside the top 7 with this team and with the net spend he seems set to have been allowed this year, he's had a poor first season. Mirallas, Fellaini, Jagielka, Baines, Distin, Gibson etc - that is a top 6 quality team Moyes has built. There's no getting away from that. It's settled, enthusiastic and ready to play for the new man. All he has to do is get his tactics right and keep the football good and we stay top 7 at least. Short-term we are laughing. I expect the best of his reign to come now. He has a massive opportunity to get some early success here, in the league and/or cups. He can do that. He's a decent manager.

He has said that he wants to move us on to "the next level" and that what is massively important here is that we don't "let the standards set by Moyes slip". He's right, because if we finish 10th next year we miss out on millions in prize money, probably a good bit of attendance revenue, surely lower season ticket sales for the year after and all that on the back of a net spend that the club are probably going to have to bend over backwards (knowing them, ffs) to give him.

If he finishes below the likes of West Ham and Fulham next year, expect an exodus from our quality players and a bigger hole in the debt to be filled, not to mention a deflated atmosphere around the club. You are making excuses for him that he wouldn't even make for himself, already.

I don't expect him to be successful in the long-term. I won't fume if he slowly takes us down the league. It's what should happen, really. It's what would have happened had Moyes not been so good for us. As long as he's notably slowing that decline and performing better in cup competition than Moyes, I'm happy for him to stay. I do like the lid after all, as well.

Bang on the money that imo. Well said lad.

Some of the negative expectations about Martinez might be just what he needs to prove them all wrong -
there is a strange correlation between present Martinez negatives and previous Moyes positives and between past Moyes negatives and present Martinez positives -
at least the same people are no longer or always in the negative camp - something they were blamed for -
both groups can't be right unfortunately - only time will tell - we have no facts to judge the future performance of Martinez in charge of Everton like we did have after 11 years of Moyes-rule -
the Moyes achievements are there for all to judge - the Martinez achievements are hidden somewhere in the future -
we are all just speculating at this stage - therefore I would rather prefer to err on the positive side because that would be in the interest of Everton - negativity at this stage and living in the past will only drag our club down -
let us aim for the stars - then we have a better chance of hitting the moon

I reckon Jags could hit the moon.

Felli would elbow it in the face.

I've heard Nasa have a contract with Fellaini for any earthbound asteroids/meteors etc. Apparently when rockets won't help us the only thing to save the world is the chance that Maro can control the asteroid on his chest or depending on the speed of the object, catch it on the volley and send it Anfield ways.

They really need to stop chopping up that one interview and trying to make different headlines out of it and if I hear Neville being called an "icon" of Everton again my head is going to f'ing explode...he is not, by quite a ways.

No one who backs him are wearing any *mask* of delight. It's a realistic assessment that he's a talented manager who can do a great job for us.

And no one is expecting you to wear a mask of any description: just remain at worst neutral and let him persuade you or otherwise with results and performances.

To listen to some you'd think we just hired the manager of Marine rather than a man with more trophies than the boring plant pot who Man Utd have just made the worst error of judgement in their history about.

Perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.