Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to know where the notion of 'great football' under Martinez has come from. 1st season was ok, we played 2 defensive mids but the full backs overlapped well. The pace of passing was quite slow but the results were good so it was alright to view.

2nd season was quite possibly some of the worst football I've ever seen. Absolute dirges of games with two sometimes three defensive midfielders, two strikers playing on the wing, mindless ineffective passing that wasn't going anywhere, at times we went through games with less than 2 shots on target. Incredibly boring and turgid to watch with even some wins being booed.

This season we have played well on the counter attack away from home, whilst this can be exciting to watch Barkley and Rom tear at an opposition it's hardly champagne football. There's not much clever interplay anywhere which has been shown up at home where we've failed to break resolute defences down. To add to this anyone who enjoys elegant defending has been sorely shortchanged this season with arguably some of the worst defensive performances in our prem history.

Across all three seasons there's been no pressing off the ball, no organisation at set pieces, and no creative central midfield players brought in. There's also been an unerring number of long balls hoofed to Lukaku which is apparently alright because he's not doing anything with them unlike Fellaini who could actually utilise them (rudimentary as that was). In other words as long as the media doesn't pick up that you play long balls it's actually alright to hoof a mother load of them every game.

Can someone please explain where all this so called 'good football' is? No idea in defence and one very direct route of attack by hitting Lukaku early either with a quick break or a long ball.

At times under Moyes we got called Arsenal lite. People recognised that Arteta Pienaar Osman and Baines were capable of some devestating togger. Nothing we have done under Martinez remotely represents anything Arsenal do never mind Barcelona. There's barely one of our players (perhaps Deulofeu occasionally) who is renowned for their flair and we have produced nothing close to the intricate play we rolled out consistently between 07-10 under Moyes.

Beautiful football is another Martinez myth. It happens in the odd game now or then but mostly it's just an incoherent mess with a 30 mill striker at the top of it. All that's happened is that the number of backwards and sideways passes before someone hoofs it had increased.

Pretty much game set and match as a 2.8 season revue

It's obvious dave is on the windup. He's become pro Kenwright, anti billionaire investor who makes over the top remarks such as removing the Dean statue for a martinez one.

Blokes turning heel more times than Triple H.

1st March 2015

upload_2016-3-30_14-3-35.png

1st March 2015

If I knew how to threadmark this I would...

that davek eh, what a card *rolls eyes hahahaha,hahahahaha,hahahahaha,hahahahaha.

all replies will now take the form of prime ministers question time when davek comes on with his usual guff to a point you made you now say...

"I refer the honourable member to his statement of the 1st of March 2015"

The Esk. pure gold mate.

Can i just ask why he is capable?

I'm interested to know what you see in him to suggest he will go against everything he believes in.
I just don't believe in this overall narrative that he doesn't even think defensively. He obviously would prefer not to be conceding so often at home. Will he risk his job to just stubbornly ignore the defence. I really don't think so. So to my mind of course he's capable of trying. Will he be skilful enough in that respect. I'm not sure. That's why I wouldn't give him complete support.

Status
Not open for further replies.