Relegation 2022/23

Are Everton going to stay in the Premier League?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sorry for all the younger fans out there (and by young I mean the under 55s).

Because I am just resigned now and taking it in my stride and have been for a good few years now.

Where once the rage, shame or humiliation after a night like last night carried on for days, now I feel only numbness the next morning and just carry on with my life.

But up until I was about 50 defeats hit me an awful lot harder than what they do now.

(e.g. after the Glenn Keeley derby I took the next week off work…and I wasn’t even living in Liverpool at that time, I was working dahn that Lahndan)

And that is without ever actually experiencing relegation or even, pre 1994/95, ever having a relegation scare.

My world would literally be collapsing around me right now even into my early 50s given this dire situation.

Thank goodness we have forums like GOT where can vent with each other.

Back in the 20th, getting a letter published in the Pink Echo was my only outlet 😠
Chin up lad your not alone

We are gone. I've been an Evertonian for over 45 years and these past years have been like watching an elderly parent deteriorate to the point were you know it's only a matter of time, and that time has come.

The future is unknown. I've no idea what an Everton team looks like in the EFL. I'm in shock. The fact we didn't go down years ago under Kenwright is soley down to the spirit, reputation and history of the club.

We talk about teams like Man.City, Newcastle, West Ham, Villa and Leeds, as being teams who have witnessed relegation, but those clubs (except Villa) were never flush with success or recognised as one of the big 5 when they were relegated. We have fell from a great height. Our peers were Liverpool, Man.Utd, Arsenal and Spurs, when Kenwright took over. Those four clubs have continued to to stay at the top.
What Kenwright has been allowed to do to Everton Football Club is criminal.

We have a generation of fans who have known nothing but Kenwrights Everton. The Everton I know, the Everton that our Dads, Grandads and great Grandads knew and helped to build is unrecognizable to me today. One man, and only one man, is responsible. The Bill Kenwright version of Everton has been neglected beyond comprehension.
He took over Everton, knowing full well he didn't have the resourcers to be the clubs custodian, but he had his train set, his vehicle to further satiate his need for limelight. He has bypassed golden opportunitues to do the right thing by the club and fans, delivered nothing but lies and false promises, sold the best English talent we have produced for buttons, sold some great players to keep the banks away, all so he can keep his grubby hands on the keys. He didn't us a billionaire. He found a fool with money who would line his pockets and at the same time allow him to keep the keys and continue to take a wedge of money out of the club. We stood and watched, year on year, knowing what he was. Sorry for the rant.

Peter Johnson reign of terror in mid 90s pushed the club down from that bracket more than anything Kenwright did in those early years.

Look at the difference in managerial appointments. Fell out with Joe Royle and summer 1997 was apparently going to see Bobby Robson pitched up. Botched that and a few others and then Kendall came in for his third spell and everyone know 5 games in that season it was a massive error and club was very lucky to stay up.

On paper Walter Smith was a strong appointment given what he'd achieved at Rangers when Scottish football was still a reasonably strong league but aside from 99-00 it was just a very dull watch under him.

Kenwright should've sacked him sooner but his first managerial appointment was Moyes and that was undoubtedly a success considering he came in to a similar situation Lampard did and proved he could achieve solid results in the long run. Martinez for 18 months was a solid pick aswell.

Club was still 5th-7th for most of that period with reasonable aspirations to push onto top 4 so a world away from the sorry state it's in now or indeed for much of the 90s.

Remember them both well.

And I agree. This would be harder to stomach. The thing keeping me going is that if we win Monday we go out of it. It’s so tight.

Yes I see that but;

I remember Wimbledon and Coventry. I agree this feels harder to take but I can’t put my finger on why.

Maybe it’s because during those seasons at no point did I really believe we’d go down.

In the last 5 games we need 2 more points than Forest and Leicester, 3 more points than Leeds.... here is the fixtures for all teams, we need some wins, I can`t see any.... I`m sure the team will try but they just aren`t good enough, we don`t survive from here especially when Forest have Southampton at home so we will need 6 more points than Forest.

View attachment 209581
This shows how imperative it is to not lose to leicester , a defeat coupled with what I expect are two more defeats to Brighton and City leaves us on 28 points , Leicester with a win got to 32 , a forest win at home to southampton leaves them on 33 …that wolves game away would require us to win to stay up …it is a huge game

It's coming at exactly the wrong time.

If we'd got a striker in last summer we could have got through this season and probably the next, by which time that stadium would be coming on stream and Moshiri would have sold the club on.

I dont expect relegation to be the worst of it for us now. There'll be a financial meltdwon and we'll be down in the Championship for years waiting for academy grown talent plus astute purchases and a manager gifted enough to make it all work....and the fans will be downbeat and disorientated for years.

I don't know. Good down and Tom Cannon should get an opportunity. Very impressed with how he's taking the goals at Preston. Simms has had decent scoring records aswell when out on loan. Of course you'll need a couple of experienced strikers just in case they struggle with expectation (Chris Wood has certainly air of inevitability about him) but at least there's a couple of young players there fans can connect with to at least start the fightback.

I always remember when Villa went down Grealish was in and out and took a year to start dominating even championship games but by time they got promoted he was integral and there was a connection between fanbase and club again due to a local boy captaining a promotion side.

It's going to be a big culture shock and some getting used to but I don't see the club plummeting down to the lower reaches of championship. Dyche has good knowledge of what is required and will use his contacts to get in a solid core of 4-5 to help some of the younger group.

That the only change? Godfrey for Colemian.... obv Coleman was injured
Alright mate had a pop when came out game Thursday apologies, got to agree with you was our best line up apart from Coleman which tells everyone we're just not good enough no matter even there's 100 percent effort I think we're doomed players aren't good enough that's it nothing else to say

Status
Not open for further replies.