2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some would, because some are never happy. But it would be a very small minority, and it would be framed very differently. When you appoint a young manager with the possibility of a high upside, then people are more inclined to have objectivity and see the bigger picture.

What is the bigger picture at the minute? Stay up? Is that it?

I won't ever support such a pathetic weak objective.

You mean like Silva? lol

This is my point - its all well and good having a progressive young manager but if they haven't the tools to play the way they want to play they will struggle just as much as an Ancelotti or Benitez who plays more conservatively.

Who is the right appointment?

Was the world class Ancelotti the right appointment?

The upcoming progressive Silva?

The experienced Koeman who had Southampton in the top 6?

The FA Cup winning Martinez?

WAKE UP there is no "right" or "wrong" appointment we are just crap - we've tried every type/style of manager and the end result has always been the same.

We're becoming another Watford "oh look ANOTHER wrong appointment, who would have thought eh? SACK SACK SACK!!!"

Have you stopped to think about why we might be “just crap” regardless of who the manager is? Have you considered that the whole club may be a shambles from top to bottom?

Plenty of managers would come to Everton. It’s a big club and the job is well paid. We wouldn’t get a world class manager for sure but plenty of decent managers would be interested.

Fully agree we are in a complete mess.
I wanted Lampard, young and still on a learning curve. Did OK with Chelsea with the transfer embargo and bought some good players afterwards. I know the Chelsea players are a different kettle of fish but I reckon he would have been OK here.

Have you stopped to think about why we might be “just crap” regardless of who the manager is? Have you considered that the whole club may be a shambles from top to bottom?

We all know the chairman is useless and Brands signs dud players- but fans just want to blame the manager.

West Ham are showing you can have suspect ownership but still succeed with solid recruitment and a decent manager who thrives on stability.

We need to give this fella 2 years minimum to slowly weed out the crap in the squad and build some solid foundations for the next manager to benefit from whilst our financial situation with FFP improves.

Sacking Benitez and appointing Potter with this current squad is a waste of time and money and just creates further instability when the main issue is the squad.

This man in 2 years time will be nothing more than the equivalent of a skid mark on Moshiri's underpants. He won't bring success , he won't set foundations up , he won't unite us all.

He certainly shouldn't be the last man to manage us at goodison and not the first at Bramley Moore either.

The first manager to manage us at Bramley Moore will be Keith Curle in front of 17,000 fans against Portsmouth.

I wanted Lampard, young and still on a learning curve. Did OK with Chelsea with the transfer embargo and bought some good players afterwards. I know the Chelsea players are a different kettle of fish but I reckon he would have been OK here.
Yeah I think if Benitez goes then he should be under consideration. I don’t particularly like him as a bloke but he did well bringing through young players at Chelsea and obviously did reasonably well at Derby. He’s probably in the pool of managers we’d be looking at.

You mean like Silva? lol

This is my point - its all well and good having a progressive young manager but if they haven't the tools to play the way they want to play they will struggle just as much as an Ancelotti or Benitez who plays more conservatively.
Silva was an abysmal choice. A proper flavour of the month candidate based on a positive start for Watford. Again, the principle is sound, you have to look at how recruitment is operationalised at the club. We made ourselves look migs chasing him, if I'm Frank.

But agree, without infrastructure and tools a manager is hindered. But, as I keep saying, you can still criticise the choices a manager makes no matter the context.

Every manager gets paid as we all know. What we couldn't afford on top of that was compensation to another club due to FFP.
Most aren't getting paid 7m a year though. I imagine, most coaches on the continent would be on maybe half of that at most.

For example, Graham Potter (just as an example, not who im advocating for) is reported to be on about £1m a year. Even if we had to pay compo for him, and give him a bump in his pay, it still wouldnt get to £7m.

To say we could only get benitez due to ffp, is simply not true.

Another example from France. Gaultier, having just won the league with lille Is reportedly on £3m a year at nice. He literally won the title last season and is on £3m. They reportedly paid £3.3m to lille as compensation.

Last edited:
Yes I disagreed with the Allan signing, I don't rate him.

I got carried away with the James stuff at the time but I was very much in favour of letting him go. You can't keep uncommitted players who can't get themselves fit.

I don't back Benitez to recruit well. He always backs experience over younger players and we can't do that.

Does he? I remember Alonso, 22; Mascherano 24; Kuyt, 26; Torres, 24, Garcia 25; Cisse 23, Reina 23, Sissoko 20, Agger 21

AT Chelsea, Demba Ba; 28.

Napoli, Albiol, 27; Higuain 25; Jorginho 22; Mertens 26; Callejon 26; Koulibaly 23.

Newcastle; Dubravka, Ki, 28; Gayle, Lejeune, Ritchie 27; Hayden 21, Yedlin 23, Hanley, Almiron, 25; Murphy 22; Merino 21; Schar 26.

Your whole argument is based on Rondon. It's literally based on Rondon. There are 25 players who are 28 and under who Benitez has signed. No Indication that he favours ageing players.

Does he? I remember Alonso, 22; Mascherano 24; Kuyt, 26; Torres, 24, Garcia 25; Cisse 23, Reina 23, Sissoko 20, Agger 21

AT Chelsea, Demba Ba; 28.

Napoli, Albiol, 27; Higuain 25; Jorginho 22; Mertens 26; Callejon 26; Koulibaly 23.

Newcastle; Dubravka, Ki, 28; Gayle, Lejeune, Ritchie 27; Hayden 21, Yedlin 23, Hanley, Almiron, 25; Murphy 22; Merino 21; Schar 26.

Your whole argument is based on Rondon. It's literally based on Rondon. There are 25 players who are 28 and under who Benitez has signed. No Indication that he favours ageing players.
At our club there is. He signed 4 over 30s.

If kenwright didn't get so lucky in finding Moyes and got megson or whoever he had his wet teary eye on, this manager merry go round would have not stopped from 2001 onwards.

If anything the way we are ran as a business this was bound to happen, for a club and enterprise that has been around so long we really are wet behind the ears in a lot of aspects.

Keeping the fans united was one of the only things this club was good at and now that's out the window like a fart in the wind. Until we are all behind the club and manager the players won't change and neither will success.

You’re re-writing history.

The threads on here season after season calling for Moyes to be sacked, the Blue Union fiasco, Kenwright and Elstone in or out.

The fanbase has rarely been “United”, people just whinge less when things are going well.

Status
Not open for further replies.