2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting take re the sustainable way of playing. To me the sustainability of how we've played so far has miles more longevity to it than how we started last season.

The xG stats for this season suggest we are doing well, rather than being lucky. They also suggested the Villa game was incredibly close. Only City and Liverpool have a higher expected points than us so far. The caveat is that we haven't had many "difficult" games yet, so it's too early to judge. The xG stats were also equally as good at this point last season.

What I would say is that I think we look a lot worse from set pieces so far this season than we did last year. That could be an issue. The structure and shape of the team, while not perfect, looks far better than at any point last season to my eye though.

I'd go about 7 to 8 out of 10. The QPR game was an issue for me. The Villa game was a bit unlucky. There have been patches in games where we've not impressed, but there's a definite plan there.

I'm mostly encouraged, but I'd rather be scoring this after at least a dozen games or more
I actually agree, but that was a way of playing all based around James, which is the actual reason it wasn't sustainable.

I just think the general level of performances has been the same in a lot of the games. I didn't see much difference in how we played against burnley than how we did v Villa, except in one game we had a good 10 mins and in the other game, our opponent did.

Totally agree on the set-pieces, both ends are crap and it needs sorting because they're a vital part of the game. We're also doing that thing of not stopping crosses at source. For Carlo's faults, we did that a lot last year - our full-backs (well, Godfrey and Holgate) bombing out to stop wingers getting crosses in.

Also agree on being patient and look, it was just a post from me to say I'm not saying it's doom and gloom and actually think we're doing okay.

He’s more likely to give youth a chance than Ancelotti isn’t he?

Depends really how you view it?

Carlo was more than happy to play Godfrey (22), Gordon (in 2019-20), rely on Richarlison and DCL (both 22-24 while he was here), Branthwaite when he was fit and not on loan played, etc. Blooded Small and Onyango with the first team in training.

Maybe Benitez is but 4/5 signings this summer were 30+ and Gray is 25. He's used Gordon off the bench a bit, and given Dobbin a run out and Branthwaite has played once. Nkounkou given one game and then allowed out on loan for some mad reason.

I'd imagine we'll see that, if the first-team stays fit for any sustained amount of time (unlikely), 'the yoof' will get about the same chances under Benitez as they did Ancelotti. And tbh, that speaks more about the academy than either manager.

The hardest part of this thread is getting to grips with which side I want to align myself with, as there’s some massive helmets on both sides of the hyperbolic fence.
If you put the kettle on for a lad doing important work in your house. And don't stand there calling him a pig no matter what his past is.

Then your on my side Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.