Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
As opposed to someone who gets it like Farhad Moshiri.

I think this is a different thing. Part of the issue is that the sport functions differently separate of the culture. Owning a team is automatic money over here. Relegation changes that.
Another point is as far as I understand it is that stadiums tend to get built with taxpayers cash in America essentially giving owners a completely free ride - free stadiums, no promotion or relegation plus a draft system to balance it all out to enforce competitiveness - compare and contrast that with the dog eat dog nature of the EPL.

New number plate design:

Its not the same though is it.

Evertonians and Liverpudlians come from the same families, grew up on the same streets, go to the same schools, drink in the same pubs etc. Thats not the same as a rivalry between 2 teams in 2 cities that are 180 miles apart. The appreciation of space is irrelevant for this comparison.
I'm not saying it's the same. I'm saying we should appreciate the differences instead of scoring points.

I'm playing with that. It's interesting though as I'm not even sure when a Birtish owned club won the league. I assume Arsenal 03/04?

Frankly American investors have done fine but a lot of them get a negative reputation from the start so short of being Abromovich they have no chance. I mean have the Glazers really been that bad? I get the financials are a mess but on the pitch?

Hopefully in two years we hire Jesse Marsch.
They’ve not done fine at all - ask Arsenal fans their opinion of Kroenke.

Utd fans set up their own separate club in response to the Glazers!

Another point is as far as I understand it is that stadiums tend to get built with taxpayers cash in America essentially giving owners a completely free ride - free stadiums, no promotion or relegation plus a draft system to balance it all out to enforce competitiveness - compare and contrast that with the dog eat dog nature of the EPL.
Yeah it's horrible really. I love sports but they're obnoxiously close to an ATM/playground for mega rich pricks

Not sure what the point is of being all nice and doing the "now he's here I'll give him a chance!" guff

Half of us never wanted him here in the first place
Half the the remaining fans will want him gone after suffering a few games of dull defensive football
Half of the rest will want him gone when the occasional 1-0 wins dry up for a few games in a row
The remaining clappers will still be cheering him on telling us we're not proper bloos
The press will patronize us for a small club wanting to be like his ex club
And then they'll patronize us for not being happy with Allardyceball v2.0 "Everton are almost safe in mid table, what more do their fans want?!?!?"
The whole place will be toxic for months
And we'll have to see his smug face when his bank balance gets umpteen millions added to it when he inevitably gets sacked in a few months

It's always going to be my club but I can't go into this with any hope. I would say something like "if he does well I'll happily admit to being wrong about him all along!!!".... but come on - this is Everton, and this is going to end badly

New number plate design:

Its not the same though is it.

Evertonians and Liverpudlians come from the same families, grew up on the same streets, go to the same schools, drink in the same pubs etc. Thats not the same as a rivalry between 2 teams in 2 cities that are 180 miles apart. The appreciation of space is irrelevant for this comparison.

No one can. As others have said, its just different.
I'm clearly missing something here, and I'm not trying to be pedantic, but if this: "Evertonians and Liverpudlians come from the same families, grew up on the same streets, go to the same schools, drink in the same pubs etc." is what you mean that we can't possibly understand, then I promise you that is an exact description of my life growing up in Alabama with the Alabama v. Auburn rivalry. Word-for-word.

How is that "being fine" with him?

It's acceptance of the situation rather than the slightly more positive 'fine'.
Acceptance is the same as being fine with it. If you aren't fine with it you don't accept it. If you accept it, to me and most others you're saying it's fine. That's pretty simple really. You want to split hairs about semantics - fill your nappy pal. I'll leave it there, you've been shown to be categorically wrong, and I need to go and drown my sorrows.

Status
Not open for further replies.