Rafael and the small club comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ almighty. Everton fans writing essays to defend and promote Rafael bloody benitez

Some would disagree with that bit to be fair.

I'm just against the spreading of misinformation to support any argument - like "he's done nothing in the last 10 years" or "Bruce is outperforming him at Newcastle"

He'll wait for the Arsenal job.

Unfortunately.... probably agree with this.

I hate him and I wouldn't set foot inside Goodison until he'd be gone.

Lots of RS blame Moyes for bringing up Heysel and quoting the peoples club to fan the flames of hatred between the two clubs but he was just as bad if not worse saying that.

I also hated when he used to be interviewed and he'd just smile towards the reporter if he got asked any difficult questions.

I don't want an appointment that alienates large numbers of fans before a ball is kicked. So although I think he has the qualities needed, posts like yours are all the proof needed to look elsewhere.

The comment bothered me at the time but, needs must. If a manager of the quality of Benitez is available and is prepared to join us, that shouldn't even be an issue. Just as it won't be for Mourinho going to Spurs. It's not something that a good bit of PR couldn't sort. As @chrismpw alluded to, if Benitez were to make some sort of quip in his 1st interview, an equally noteworthy soundbite to reassure fans of his allegiances, we'd all soon forget about it - granted we'd all soon remind him of it when the inevitable bad patch hit - but that bad patch is a lot less likely with a Benitez than it is with any of the other candidates. We'll give any manager dogs abuse if we're in a bad patch.

Benitez quality as a manager shouldn't really be in dispute. Nobody becomes a bad manager overnight. I'm not sure where the suggestions are that he's done nothing in the last 10 years, some people need to do their homework. What he did at Valencia was incredible. In the same period of time, he essentially did what Klopp has done at Liverpool - but Benitez had more to show for it.

Both reached two CL finals, winning one and losing the other. Both built a side that finished 2nd and narrowly missed out on the title. But while both have got to other cup finals, Benitez won an FA Cup too. When you consider he was working in conditions under two owners that almost took the club to the brink of administration, it makes his achievements all that more impressive, and that's why he's still held in such high regard there.

At Madrid and Inter, he lasted less than 6 months each time after falling out with the hierarchy for various reasons. At Inter he immediately had a fallout with Moratti who refused to invest to replace their ageing squad. In reality, Inter were already in decline and the seasons after Benitez joined they finished 6th, 9th, 5th and 8th. At Madrid he locked horns with Ronaldo and, well......here is only one winner there!

He won the Europa League with Chelsea, reached the semi finals of both cups and finished 3rd. A fanbase that despised Benitez was largely thankful and their views have certainly softened since, if not entirely. At Napoli he joined a side that was selling its best player, Edinson Cavani and again he recycled an old squad, bringing in quality players like Higuaín, Jorginho, Mertens, Ghoulam, Albiol and Callejon - who would form the core of the Napoli side over the next 6 years. In his 1st season he won the Coppa Italia and finished 3rd but narrowly missed out on CL Football in his 2nd season.

And then at Newcastle he's still worshipped despite leaving the club. Again, he's worked with a chairman that refused to invest, despite finishing 10th and 13th respectively. Last season they actually had a positive net spend and the season before they spent barely £20m. Then Bruce has come in and they've spent circa £40m net spend in the 1st window - I'm not sure where this "Bruce is outperforming him" nonsense is coming from. At their current PPG, Bruce will finish on fewer points than they did last season.

So yeah, 100%, if he's up for it, he's the obvious choice. It shouldn't even be a discussion really.

He would divide the fanbase immediately. For that reason alone it is a non-starter.

Then there's the matter of money of which he's likely earning shedloads in China.
Cost of sacking MS, then paying compensation (?) to the chinese club and then wages for him and his staff would be incredibly expensive surely?

He would divide the fanbase immediately. For that reason alone it is a non-starter.

Then there's the matter of money of which he's likely earning shedloads in China.
Cost of sacking MS, then paying compensation (?) to the chinese club and then wages for him and his staff would be incredibly expensive surely?

Is the fanbase united now? I don’t think we’re any more united now than we’d be under Benitez.

I don’t think we’d need to pay compo as he has a release clause to leave at the end of the Chinese season in a few weeks

Is the fanbase united now? I don’t think we’re any more united now than we’d be under Benitez.

Would just make things 100x worse. Look at when he was Chelsea...Won the EL and got them top 4 but atmosphere was pretty toxic.
And that was a short term appointment. Imagine if he was signed as permanent here - would start with half the base hating him and even if successful* not sure he could ever build bridges with the entire fanbase.
(whatever success looks like - european spot, cup win, push for top four?)

I don’t think we’d need to pay compo as he has a release clause to leave at the end of the Chinese season in a few weeks

Fair enough but he wouldn't be cheap that's for sure.

Don't particularly like Benitez and think his style is too negative - his Liverpool side could have won the league if they attacked a bit more. But he has actually won things - that makes him a better choice than Moyes.

Also, his small club comment was infuriating at the time, but I have far less of a problem with an opposition manager, doing it on the wind up, later becoming our manager than with our own former manager doing it consistently to our club throughout his tenure and then again as soon as he bags an undeserved job at a bigger club. Moyes consistently belittled us, made out we were inferior to other teams, and when we did beat big teams (at home only) it was always done in the style of cup minnows being 'up for it'. He created a culture of fear at the club that exists to this day and particularly a fear of our biggest rivals (don't forget when we were dross in the 90s we used to beat them regularly) that still eats at the heart of the club today. He used to send out his pathetic pointman Neville to tell us how grateful we should be to finish 7th and ever since talks about his 'success' at Everton in such a way that you would think it was Pep talking about his Barca team.

I cannot stand Moyes, and how people can pine for his return but be against Benitez for belittling the club when managing our rivals is just beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.