• Everton

Votes: 117 60.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 43 22.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder - and I certainly don't know: too little football knowledge - whether a team that depends on its right back for attacking threat is a team which is as balanced as it could be.

I wonder - and I certainly don't know: too little football knowledge - whether a team that depends on its right back for attacking threat is a team which is as balanced as it could be.
Thats the modern game now. Full backs bombing forward providing an attacking threat.

Last season our full backs were very much key to the way we play as a team and move forward.

Thats the modern game now. Full backs bombing forward providing an attacking threat.

Last season our full backs were very much key to the way we play as a team and move forward.

I take your point but, because I'm a rancid ould geezer, I quite like full backs to defend well and midfielders / forwards to have sufficient guile to undo the opposition.

Love having full backs to aid the effort but if a team depends on them, times (for me) are hard.

God I'm glad I'm not a kid having to understand this complicated stuff.

I'm not trying to be pedantic, or even negative.

Well, I am glad you cleared that up.

Because that sure is the way you are coming across by labouring this complete non point about shots hitting the woodwork.

Leave that sort of thing to RAWK.

They had a classic thread a couple years ago where LFC would have won the league if every shot they had which hit the woodwork had gone in the net instead.

Some whacko actually sat and worked it out then posted the "revised" table.....:cool:

Counterattacking keep the bombing forward fullbacks to a premium yesterday. But hey showed up well for the Coleman strike. We still have it in our locker when needed.

Well, I am glad you cleared that up.

Because that sure is the way you are coming across by labouring this complete non point about shots hitting the woodwork.

Leave that sort of thing to RAWK.

They had a classic thread a couple years ago where would have won the league if every shot they had which hit the woodwork had gone in the net instead.

Some whacko actually sat and worked it out then posted the "revised" table.....:cool:

*closes pie charts and scraps revised table based on passes made*

Baines was the principal source of our attacking set up play for a good three or four years prior to thus season.

....I suspect his assists stats confirm that view. The loss of Pienaar has to be a critical factor along with the lack of a similar 'buddy'. I don't think it's helped our cause that Barry has continued to play as a defensive cover for Baines. Perhaps without Pienaar we have to accept a more conventional (but still very good) Baines.

Perhaps without Pienaar we have to accept a more conventional (but still very good) Baines.
Pienaar and Baines had an absolutely special, almost unique relationship: fans, managers and press alike recognised how good it was.

The loss of Pienaar has been exacerbated by the fact that Baines hasn't been provided with a genuine option in front of him for most the season.

Naismith isn't a left midfielder... neither is Barkley... Mirallas prefers the right... only really Osman is anywhere near able to work with him.

And that's still not ideal by any stretch of the imagination. If Baines was able to work with a regular team member then it would definitely help.

It is difficult rekindle some of that magic, if you're not given the opportunity to build a relationship with someone who suits the position.

It's even more difficult if there is actually nobody in front of you at all. He often has to run from deep, so can't have those silky, smooth overlaps.

If we get an able, genuinely left sided player in the summer, then I'd hope to see a huge improvement in Baines even though he's still playing well.

Pienaar and Baines had an absolutely special, almost unique relationship: fans, managers and press alike recognised how good it was.

The loss of Pienaar has been exacerbated by the fact that Baines hasn't been provided with a genuine option in front of him for most the season.

Naismith isn't a left midfielder... neither is Barkley... Mirallas prefers the right... only really Osman is anywhere near able to work with him.

And that's still not ideal by any stretch of the imagination. If Baines was able to work with a regular team member then it would definitely help.

It is difficult rekindle some of that magic, if you're not given the opportunity to build a relationship with someone who suits the position.

It's even more difficult if there is actually nobody in front of you at all. He often has to run from deep, so can't have those silky, smooth overlaps.

If we get an able, genuinely left sided player in the summer, then I'd hope to see a huge improvement in Baines even though he's still playing well.

.....yep.

The football pitch is competitive place - especially in midfield.

Wingers are now a luxury, replaced by left and right midfield, who must also contribute to the attack and provide cover for the defence.

Now teams play just one or two strikers, the back four cannot just stand and wait for attacks, they have to take the ball forward. And fullbacks have to stand in for wingers.

Everton are fortunate to have two of the best modern fullbacks.

• Apparently we played a perfect game yesterday according to our manager.
    Under the cosh against a team who are certs to go down...giving them so many chances that any striker other than zamora would have had a hat trick...having your woodwork rattled twice...yes Bob, the perfect game.

• Apparently we played a perfect game yesterday according to our manager.
    Under the cosh against a team who are certs to go down...giving them so many chances that any striker other than zamora would have had a hat trick...having your woodwork rattled twice...yes Bob, the perfect game.
I agree it didn't make great watching ,but it was never going to be easy after Thursday's exertion's, along with no preparation time and a team playing at home fighting for their lives.

Apparently we played a perfect game yesterday according to our manager. Under the cosh against a team who are certs to go down...giving them so many chances that any striker other than zamora would have had a hat trick...having your woodwork rattled twice...yes Bob, the perfect game.

"Everybody gave their all. The way we set out and the way we performed today, I've been really pleased with the players," said Chris Ramsey.

And he lost! Most managers spout a lot of nonsense after the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.