Proposed changes to the Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
My idea is, why not give the EFL a 25% cut of the TV earnings for 5 years on the agreement that a plan is in place for the EFL to work towards replacing that. In year 5 negotiations start for PL to reduce and EFL to fill in the gaps. PL give £250m as a COVID payment, £100m to FA with guidance to how it can be spent, and then.....actually, no that's it.

Lets just help out the lower league and grassroots football without expecting anything in return, we've spent years reaping the rewards from the hard work of grassroots football and the lower leagues. How much is Jamie Vardy worth to Leicester? Also, Ian Wright, Les Ferdinand, Joe Gomez to their respective clubs, all bought from lower leagues, and I am confident that 100% of them would have first played for a local club run by volunteers.

There is something very, very suss to me on the involvement of Rick Parry and the fact that he seems almost to be driving it alongside MUFC and LFC.

This is the ideal output, but lets be honest the entire game is motivated by greed, particularly at the top. There will be no desire in the PL the "just help" unfortunately & before people say that's just the attitude of the top 6, Sean Dyche was asked should the PL bail out the EFL post covid & his answer was ‘If the Premier League can do their bit to enhance the chances of other teams surviving possibly they may step in but does that mean every hedge-fund manager who is incredibly successful does that"

The more I think about the more to me it looks like the first step of progressing the super league.

Reducing the league to 18 teams with no league cup is quite a reduction in games. Possibly around 5-6 games at least.

The spaces left in the calendar from these games with then be used for more champions league games.

More Champions league games will then see the Champions league move from a knockout format to a league format. Hence the super league coming in.

The top six will be guaranteed membership as will other elite clubs on the continent. They will be the founding members of this monstrosity and as such will be guaranteed membership every year. No relegation for them.

I imagine this will probably be around 14 teams from Europe. At least a team from each major nation so TV rights can be obtained from each of these countries.

They will probably want around 18 teams in this league so that will leave four spots to fill. The Europa league winners will end up in no doubt.

The other three spots is where we probably come in and how this will be sold to us. The conversation will more than likely be that we will be seen as one of the best of the rest so stand a high chance of winning or being in the top 3-4 teams of what’s left of the domestic league.

There will then be some sort of playoff to rake in even more cash. If successful we then get a place in the Super League. Of course we can be relegated. The deck will be totally stacked against us and anyone else of the four teams allowed in.

We will effectively become a yo-yo club to the Super league. The money will all be there and the better players will all want to play there.

I hope our club isn’t sold some dream of wealth and prosperity. The only ones getting rich out of this will be the established elite teams with nothing to lose and can’t get relegated. Anyone else is cannon fodder to make up the numbers for a European League.

Yep.

Spurs and City weren't a draw until they got into the champions league for example.

Top 2 turned into a top 3, then a top 4 now it's a top 6. A big reason is champions league reach and a few years at the top end of the table.

Leicester or even we do the same for 3 years...the structure changes.

United spend 5 years midtable they become less of a draw for example

Everything as it stands is set-up currently for the top six clubs to be relatively self-sustaining in terms of competitiveness, when was the last time I wonder over the last decade when any one of those clubs failed to qualify for Europe for example, if only the Europa League.

We have a long way to go by those standards if mere Europa League qualification is seen as disappointing.

I'm completely against the proposals, but in real-world terms, I think the club is in a difficult bind in a sort of political sense. They have to oppose the sub-group that Moshiri is probably desperate to join. The offer of special voting rights is just an empty sop, and we won't fall for that but it's all about influence really, and getting revenue up to enable that influence.

I think there will be a lot of game-playing and posturing behind the scenes. We have to be very clever in how we manage this, publicly and privately. Utd and Liverpool are the drivers of this, and stand to be the main beneficiaries, we should be looking to isolate them within the top six. Now is the time for Usmanovs silent influence to come to bear, with all of the dexterity and trickery that characterises business and deal making in Russia and Eurasia.

Spurs to me seem to be the ultimate aspirant club, the footballing equivalent of a middle-class wannabe. But we have links with Arsenal in particular, and we should be looking to exploit even the merest hint of any division within the top-six as a stand-alone group.

The more I think about the more to me it looks like the first step of progressing the super league.

Reducing the league to 18 teams with no league cup is quite a reduction in games. Possibly around 5-6 games at least.

The spaces left in the calendar from these games with then be used for more champions league games.

More Champions league games will then see the Champions league move from a knockout format to a league format. Hence the super league coming in.

The top six will be guaranteed membership as will other elite clubs on the continent. They will be the founding members of this monstrosity and as such will be guaranteed membership every year. No relegation for them.

I imagine this will probably be around 14 teams from Europe. At least a team from each major nation so TV rights can be obtained from each of these countries.

They will probably want around 18 teams in this league so that will leave four spots to fill. The Europa league winners will end up in no doubt.

The other three spots is where we probably come in and how this will be sold to us. The conversation will more than likely be that we will be seen as one of the best of the rest so stand a high chance of winning or being in the top 3-4 teams of what’s left of the domestic league.

There will then be some sort of playoff to rake in even more cash. If successful we then get a place in the Super League. Of course we can be relegated. The deck will be totally stacked against us and anyone else of the four teams allowed in.

We will effectively become a yo-yo club to the Super league. The money will all be there and the better players will all want to play there.

I hope our club isn’t sold some dream of wealth and prosperity. The only ones getting rich out of this will be the established elite teams with nothing to lose and can’t get relegated. Anyone else is cannon fodder to make up the numbers for a European League.
Yep. The "Big 6" see the path to the most money into their pockets as threading the needle and getting both PL money and expanded CL/Super League money. But doing that requires reducing the domestic workload first.

Everything as it stands is set-up currently for the top six clubs to be relatively self-sustaining in terms of competitiveness, when was the last time I wonder over the last decade when any one of those clubs failed to qualify for Europe for example, if only the Europa League.

We have a long way to go by those standards if mere Europa League qualification is seen as disappointing.

I'm completely against the proposals, but in real-world terms, I think the club is in a difficult bind in a sort of political sense. They have to oppose the sub-group that Moshiri is probably desperate to join. The offer of special voting rights is just an empty sop, and we won't fall for that but it's all about influence really, and getting revenue up to enable that influence.

I think there will be a lot of game-playing and posturing behind the scenes. We have to be very clever in how we manage this, publicly and privately. Utd and Liverpool are the drivers of this, and stand to be the main beneficiaries, we should be looking to isolate them within the top six. Now is the time for Usmanovs silent influence to come to bear, with all of the dexterity and trickery that characterises business and deal making in Russia and Eurasia.

Spurs to me seem to be the ultimate aspirant club, the footballing equivalent of a middle-class wannabe. But we have links with Arsenal in particular, and we should be looking to expolit even the merest hint of any division within the top-six as a stand-alone group.
It hasn't been that long. Chelsea finished 10th in their last Mourinho year.

Yep. The "Big 6" see the path to the most money into their pockets as threading the needle and getting both PL money and expanded CL/Super League money. But doing that requires reducing the domestic workload first.

Yes. The first step in the process. They probably needs an excuse or some event to bring there plans forward. Due to COVIDand the lower league teams struggling, they have been given this chance.

The scrapping of the League Cup is ridiculous, as it only serves to help the teams already in Europe. If they are so bothered about that, they should remove European qualified teams from the competition and have winning it as a qualifying place. Rather than harming it's integrity, I believe it would increase it, as a viable option for none European clubs to have some success, and would lessen the number of games that are "Ruined" by fielding under strength sides.

The FA Cup should remain as is. As should the Charity shield. Its 1 game. I fail to understand how this has any negative effect on anyone, certainly no more than the other trophies they add to their trophy haul when ever its brought up.

I would genuinely love for the league to expell United and Liverpool from the league for even attempting this coup though, and that's exactly what it is.

I'm not sure about this. I think this power grab is so astonishingly transparent that no one is falling for it - least of all Everton, West Ham and Southampton.

The world is full of idiots thinking they are geniuses just now. I put the great minds behind this scheme in that Trump/Johnson/Cummings basket.
It'll get in on the nod if that's the case.
Anyway, I think it's only the opening offer, how much it doesn't get watered down will depend on the desperation and or greed of the others in relation to just how much crap they're to prepared to eat.

The scrapping of the League Cup is ridiculous, as it only serves to help the teams already in Europe. If they are so bothered about that, they should remove European qualified teams from the competition and have winning it as a qualifying place. Rather than harming it's integrity, I believe it would increase it, as a viable option for none European clubs to have some success, and would lessen the number of games that are "Ruined" by fielding under strength sides.

The FA Cup should remain as is. As should the Charity shield. Its 1 game. I fail to understand how this has any negative effect on anyone, certainly no more than the other trophies they add to their trophy haul when ever its brought up.

I would genuinely love for the league to expell United and Liverpool from the league for even attempting this coup though, and that's exactly what it is.
It's all about playing less games without expanding the options of anyone else. So withdrawing from the League Cup opens a path to Europe for others. Can't happen. Leaving the Shield means the season can't start a week earlier. Also a no go.

Why not have the league cup for just the teams not in Europe ? There doesn't have to be all these changes just for that, more chance for the rest to win a trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.