Proposed changes to the Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a very nuanced post.

There is a lot of talk about a top 6 being united together. I am not so sure. I'm not so sure that Abramovich or City are not looking at Uniteds plight and thinking about how they can maximise it. I'm not sure they would want more restrictive rules on spending for example.

It's interesting that it looks very much like United and Liverpool have led this. Maybe there was wider support in the top 6 initially and its trailed off having seen the backlash, or maybe theyve just gone out on a limb. All very interesting.

I'm not even convinced all 6 would want to join a super league. Being team 15-20 in the super league, or being team 1 or 2 in the PL is a big carrot as well. It's a big gamble either way.

I'll say what I've always said though. If the option of a viable super league was there, with a nod and a wink from sponsors and broadcasters that they would follow, it would have already been set up by now. The fact it hasnt, tells you it's not viable as things stand.

City as a whole club - fanbase included, have had a very nuanced, and to an extent ambivalent relationship with Europe. There is still a very real dislike, and you could use stronger eords, than that, for EUFA and all it stands for, especially how it has tried to victimise and isolate them. The tradition of the Poznan for the UEFA anthem reflects that feeling.

I mean possibly. I am not wholly convinced.

However if they all supported it initially, the fact they are not throwing their weight behind it, as it gets torn apart is very interesting.

Yes even inferring, from reading between the lines, from the article the journo who broke the story, Sam Wallace, wrote this morning....(ahead of the shareholders vote of premier league clubs on Wednesday)

Of the seven clubs who aren't (as yet) thought to be opposed, 'the big six' and ourselves.

.... a quote from the article says

'(what) is not yet clear is how prepared the other four members of the so-called big six - Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City - would be to back the plan. There are also questions over Everton’s intentions - the club has ambitions of reaching the Champions League and would qualify for “special voting rights” under PBP owing to its longevity in the top flight'

You can infer that the support of the others is far from a foregone conclusion, and each may well have objections

I am surprised Arsenal and Spurs have not come out in favour of this
Kronke owns 6 Franchises in America and seemingly always seen Arsenal as his cash cow to support these franchises, so more money would suit him
Spurs are owned by Joe Lewis and he runs it as a money making business
The loss of stadium revenue will be hurting both of these
Those 2 along with the 2 red scum clubs are ran as money making businesses and not football clubs
So its no surprise they want to keep the power and the cash to themselves
Chelsea and City are different to the other 4 because their owners will put their own money in
The other 4 are obviously worried that ,us Wolves ,Leicester and possibly Newcastle if they get a billionaire owner will outspend them and put their position in the top 4 in Jeopardy
United are looking dodgy this season with Poch possibly being lined up as a replacement for OGS
The devils spawn have spent money they have not got (possibly a chunk of Mane's summer transfer fee )
All in all the 2 red scum Spurs and Arsenal will be backing this while Chelsea and City may not as they can smell blood

I am surprised Arsenal and Spurs have not come out in favour of this
Why come out in favour? The damage is done with the suggestion.

For now the rest of them can keep their tinder dry. This was an opportunistic attempt based on Covid conditions. Those conditions are likely to squeeze the pips if they aren't already being squeezed so a few of those who would resist may well sell their soul for thin gruel in the not too different future.

Arsenal, Spurs and the rest (and most likely us now) will be considering their move. Make that a 9 vote rule and include us in that group and Moshiri would be tempted. This was an opening gambit.

I've been to many games in Scotland too and can honestly say I have never seen a fight. Not saying there hasn't been any, of course there has, just not in my immediate vicinity. If your experience is that there has been fighting in your vicinity, then that will obviously cloud your judgement, the same way my experience has no doubt clouded mine.

But to come from England and complain about other countries having violence at football games is a bit laughable really.

Anyway, I fear we are going to get off track. More money for lower league clubs is good, power grab by the 2 red teams is bad

Can’t argue with that

Holloway getting right into this shitshow - he's bang on the money.

He often is.

Thing is, on audio, only a few of us can understand what he is on about. He is a native Bristolian, I am an adopted one, but we both have the talent to make an entire sentence sound like one very long word.

It's far from clear the other four members of the top six are fully behind it either, Sam Wallace has already inferred they have objections to integral parts of the plan, thinking it isn't viable as it stands. The very urgent need for an EFL rescue plan preferably or even essentially by the end of this month, makes it absolutely imperative to agree basics.

This plan as it is now, won't stand and there is rumoured to be a large groundswell of feeling among the other 14 for leaving the EFL and giving nothing while Rick Parry who was part of this heads up their organisation, something has to give very quickly and a solution found.

To just give the money for nothing is very altruistic and even perhaps what should be done, but it isn't realistic in the real business world, the donors will want something for it. Atm six or nine clubs get that, the majority lose both ways.

Bit, well very, off topic, but have you got round to seeing Bristol City and Rovers play yet? Granted, been tough recently.
Sadly no, still waiting for a chance to check them off my list. Last few years I didn't find much time to visit grounds due to personal circumstances and now Covid 19 screwed up a lot of plans. But fairly sure I'm not the only one suffering from that.

Had a reply from the club. Non committal.

Need a lot of people to email them & say no TODAY.
I think Moshiri would entertain this idea tbh based on absolutely nothing, He's took over the club got his manager and stadium in the works, I think others like DBB/BK would reject it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.