Homepage Update: Post West Ham Reflections

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all of the mitigating circumstances considered, it was still a very poor team performance and damaging defeat.

There was commitment and desire but a very worrying lack of cohesion. Too many of our players go missing or at the other extreme, lose shape and discipline and run around like headless chickens. The first goal was a disgrace to concede.

Silva can't be blamed for individual errors of which there were plenty and we still badly lack leaders and shouters in the team, and none of his signings fit or not would appear to address that concern.

We have a mix of new players, younger players who are under immense pressure to make an immediate impact, and the older / established players most of whom are going to be phased out over the coming windows. We still look unbalanced and hopefully players returning from injury will address that but its hard to offer any logical explanation for the amount of individual errors and atrocious passing. We are so easy to get at and that breeds fear and mistakes I guess.

The sooner Silva is able to settle on an eleven of his own choosing and with players available from injury, the better.

Richarlison, Yerry and Gomez still to come into the side. I thought both full backs and Bernard had good games or at least showed promise. But we need a striker again .

@catcherintherye

I think in
Pickford Coleman Zouma Mina Digne Gomes Bernard Ricarlison Walcott we have 9 good players
Add a top quality CF and a quality DM who can carry the ball then we are not far off competing for top 6
Add Siggy Lookman ( if he gets his head right ) Henry ( if he gets a permit ) Dowell Connolly Davies DCL ( after a loan period ) and we are starting to look at top 4
It’ll take time , a whole lotta time and a whole lot of money

I'd say that were very short on player quality.

GK: Pickford
RB
RCB
LCB
LB: Digne
DM
CM
CM
LF: Bernard
CF: Richarlison
RF

Those 4 look class + Mina is pending. So if he performs well then we have 5 players out of 11 who are at a very high level.

Add in Zouma and Gomes and 7/11 sounds promisimg.

The reality is that we lack a DM, a CM and another forward player at this moment in time, all of which are key positions.

With Silva, players either need to step up and perform to his system or they will be moved on and replaced. Its as simple as that.

I'd rather finish 10th and totally revamp the squad (with players of the same quality signed this summer) than land in 6th and only make limited changes...

Ideally we need to finish as high up the table as possible (obviously) and yet recycle most of the squad whilst playing a new system.

Its not easy.

No matter what happens we really need to hope Brands can work his magic and bring in 2 starters in Jan and lets see how Onyekuru performs too...

@catcherintherye

RB
RCB
LCB
DM
CM
CM
RF

Those 4 look class + Mina is pending. So if he performs well then we have 5 players out of 11 who are at a very high level.

The reality is that we lack a DM, a CM and another forward player at this moment in time, all of which are key positions.

With Silva, players either need to step up and perform to his system or they will be moved on and replaced. Its as simple as that.

I'd rather finish 10th and totally revamp the squad (with players of the same quality signed this summer) than land in 6th and only make limited changes...

Ideally we need to finish as high up the table as possible (obviously) and yet recycle most of the squad whilst playing a new system.

Its not easy.

No matter what happens we really need to hope Brands can work his magic and bring in 2 starters in Jan and lets see how Onyekuru performs too...
So you are writing off Coleman and Walcott who had been one of our best players
Rome wasn’t built in a day Zat and all we need at the moment is a DM and CF
GRanted in a year or so we may need to replace one or two but I’d rather do it slowly with a plan in mind
Agree wait on Henry And see if Lookman gets his head right but I’d rather spend the 60/70 m inn a CF of top quality than buy 3 or 4 players to replace lads whose only fault is they are 30 years of age

@catcherintherye

RB
RCB
LCB
DM
CM
CM
RF

Its not easy.

You appear to have included Pickford.

A GK that concedes at least 2 goals a game.

And Bernard who has played 20 minutes in the league.

Utterly comical.

So you are writing off Coleman and Walcott who had been one of our best players
Rome wasn’t built in a day Zat and all we need at the moment is a DM and CF
GRanted in a year or so we may need to replace one or two but I’d rather do it slowly with a plan in mind
Agree wait on Henry And see if Lookman gets his head right but I’d rather spend the 60/70 m inn a CF of top quality than buy 3 or 4 players to replace lads whose only fault is they are 30 years of age

Since his injury Coleman hasnt been the same...i also dont think Walcott is at the same level as any of the players i listed.

If youre saying to replace players in "a year or two" then thats when their values will be lower...

Lets say, hypothetically we have £60-70mil as you wrote.

We sell Sigurdsson (£25mil), Walcott (£20mil) Schneiderlin (£15mil) giving us £120-130mil.

Neves (£50-60mil) Lozano (£40-50mil) and Zakaria (£30mil).

Transformation.

You appear to have included Pickford.

A GK that concedes at least 2 goals a game.

And Bernard who has played 20 minutes in the league.

Utterly comical.

I'm happy to amuse.

Since his injury Coleman hasnt been the same...i also dont think Walcott is at the same level as any of the players i listed.

If youre saying to replace players in "a year or two" then thats when their values will be lower...

Lets say, hypothetically we have £60-70mil as you wrote.

We sell Sigurdsson (£25mil), Walcott (£20mil) Schneiderlin (£15mil) giving us £120-130mil.

Neves (£50-60mil) Lozano (£40-50mil) and Zakaria (£30mil).

Transformation.

I'm happy to amuse.

Heres my list of players that are good enough to not need replacing Zat :

GK
RB
CB
CB
LB
DM
CM
CM
LW
ST
RW

We've gotten 1 point in two home games against teams that will be in or near the relegation zone. Our home games are pretty much the only place we expect to win as our away form is just awful. That's what worries me. If we have a "meh" home record, this could be a very difficult season..

We've gotten 1 point in two home games against teams that will be in or near the relegation zone. Our home games are pretty much the only place we expect to win as our away form is just awful. That's what worries me. If we have a "meh" home record, this could be a very difficult season..

West Ham wont be anywhere near the relegation places.

Huddersfield on the other hand are 100% going down.

My two peneth worth

1. DCL should have controlled the first ball over the top and bagged that, a decent striker would have
2. 1st WH goal, Holgate stopped running back when the two strikers were through
3. Tosun should have buried the header from Digne cross
4. Pickfords pass out for WH goal 2 shows a lack of team tactics and two players not fully concentrating
5. Sigurdssons goal should have been the catalyst to come out 2nd half and win the game, what happened at half time ?
6. And for WH 3rd goal, Holgate wasn't tight enough on Anuatovic for the ball to feet and then let him run on to the 1-2, very poor from a Premier League central defender, never mind the age.

Status
Not open for further replies.