Homepage Update: Post West Ham Reflections

Status
Not open for further replies.

catcherintherye

Player Valuation: £80m
silvadisappointed-1200x520.jpg

Sometimes there is a game and a performance that is best forgotten. For Silva and the Everton players I would suggest they will try to omit the game from their memory and not dwell on it too far. While the following will frustrate many fans, for the most part it is a game that is atypical of our season to date. In previous games we have looked sloppy and naïve (most notably from set plays) though we did look generally solid and well organized without the ball and incisive with it (Huddersfield game aside). I think the loss if Richarlison makes an enormous difference to that. He combines the physicality, work ethic and goal threat of Calvert Lewin with the skill and positional awareness of a Theo Walcott. In essence we get almost 2 players when he is on the pitch, or the better part of two players. Since he has gone out of the team we have lacked balance and that has undoubtedly impacted upon all of the other forward players (Tosun, Walcott & Sigurdsson) who had flourished, particularly in the game previous at home to Southampton.

Full Article: https://www.grandoldteam.com/2018/09/18/post-west-ham-reflections/

..I appreciate we have players out but I have a few concerns about the team organisation against West Ham.

Schneiderlin off and 2-0 down, I can fully understand the lack of a protective shield in front of the back four but we scored at a great time and were back in the game at half-time yet he persisted with that reckless approach. The fourth goal in the game was always going to be the key and the Hammers got it.

I’m not a fan of full backs getting too far ahead of the ball. It’s great they join in and overlap in the top third but they shouldn’t be the furthest forward when we have possession in deep central areas. The ball was knocked forward to Tosun who lost it, one opposition pass forward and our CBs are exposed. Digne is 20 yards behind the break. It was a trait of the Martinez era and the reason why we lost so many goals from one long ball.

..I appreciate we have players out but I have a few concerns about the team organisation against West Ham.

Schneiderlin off and 2-0 down, I can fully understand the lack of a protective shield in front of the back four but we scored at a great time and were back in the game at half-time yet he persisted with that reckless approach. The fourth goal in the game was always going to be the key and the Hammers got it.

I’m not a fan of full backs getting too far ahead of the ball. It’s great they join in and overlap in the top third but they shouldn’t be the furthest forward when we have possession in deep central areas. The ball was knocked forward to Tosun who lost it, one opposition pass forward and our CBs are exposed. Digne is 20 yards behind the break. It was a trait of the Martinez era and the reason why we lost so many goals from one long ball.
As I’ve said in other threads @Eggs if the DM and the other 3 defenders had done their jobs properly then the first goal wouldn’t have gone in
If Pickford had not messed up and Zouma and Digne had shown Yarmelenko the outside onto his weaker right foot than the second goal may not have gone it
Holgate was made a fool of for the third
They scored with their 3 attempts w, we had 5 and scored 1
I’m optimistic that when all are fit and playing we will have a drastically better side
2 of our 3 midfielders will be gone for starters and 2 of Sunday’s defence will be dropped plus Ricarlison will replace DCL
That’s 5 players to come in
It’s up front that I have concerns and I’d rather stick with Tosun and wait till the summer to get a quality replacement than go for a knee jerk quick replacement in January
However if Gomes and Zouma work out and are willing to sign ( Gomes would I think , I’ve doubts about Zouma ) will we have the money to sign those 2 plus a 60m CF
Hopefully Brands can pull a rabbit out of the hat for the CF position next summer

Maybe it’s just me but I was brought up on when one full back attacks, the opposite side tucks in ...... like they are played on a piece of string.

It’s a simple game.

We aren't very good. We have lots of the same players who constantly either tank it and get managers sacked, or are simply not good enough. We will lose games we should win until they are all gone. We miss Richarlison but he's not a saviour either. He can only do so much.

Buckle up and take it on the chin. Will be a while before we start winning consistently so don't expect too much too fast with these players.

We aren't very good. We have lots of the same players who constantly either tank it and get managers sacked, or are simply not good enough. We will lose games we should win until they are all gone. We miss Richarlison but he's not a saviour either. He can only do so much.

Buckle up and take it on the chin. Will be a while before we start winning consistently so don't expect too much too fast with these players.
I think in
Pickford Coleman Zouma Mina Digne Gomes Bernard Ricarlison Walcott we have 9 good players
Add a top quality CF and a quality DM who can carry the ball then we are not far off competing for top 6
Add Siggy Lookman ( if he gets his head right ) Henry ( if he gets a permit ) Dowell Connolly Davies DCL ( after a loan period ) and we are starting to look at top 4
It’ll take time , a whole lotta time and a whole lot of money

We conceded on essentially every one of their chances, and our finishing was horrific.

And all this with at least half our first choice 11 out.

We are already miles ahead of where we were last season - at least from the perspective of playing football that is likely to produce something in the future. The results will come.
Silva was not in my top 3 choices to replace Allardyce
However he is here and he and Brands seem to have a long term plan and vision of how they want to proceed
It seems to be green shoots but watching Ricarlison,Bernard and Figne play football beats watching Bolassie Mirallas and Martina trying to play football

Status
Not open for further replies.