Playing in the Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
How will losing almost all of our revenue streams, losing all of our best players and diminishing our fan base enable us to “get our act together” and bring back the glory days?
My view in this post in the relation thread is simple and off the top of my head, but it's a start and how I view it.

What is the point of us playing in the Premier, apart from the obvious financial aspect.
As fans we get nothing out of struggling to make 6th or 7th place and entry into some obscure European competition playing on Thursday nights.
The top places are taken by the same teams year after year, the press and media are only really interested in a couple of those teams.
Apart from the odd occasion the cup finals are played among the same elite group year after year.
As a fan wouldn't it be more exiting to be vying for top spot or even a play off place and a visit to Wembley.
Until those 6 clubs leave to form a super euro league then there's not much going for us and 13 others in the prem. We're just cannon fodder for the benefit of the TV fans of those teams in red.
The prem is corrupt and run now for the benefit of the TV companies who bought it out years ago.

A few seasons ago we were talking about getting into the top 6 and we all believed we wasn't a million miles away. The aim was to qualify for Europa League and build a squad capable of playing in four competitions every season whilst improving year on year. Without going into detail, we fell away from the top 6 quite fast whilst teams around mid-table improved and became competitive. Relegation isn't an option, we need to be aiming for Europa League whether it takes five years to get there, we need to be aiming for it.

I like car racing.

Would you much rather be a 10-15 year F1 driver without getting a win, or win a series like the BTCC?
But that's not really analogous, it's more like the pro bike racer who rides for his team in world pro events without any hope of a win.
If he wants a win he must get entered for lower level events.

As an overseas supporter, the reason I desperately want to stay up is the fact that following a non-PL team is somewhere between difficult and impossible for us. Best case scenario is that 10 of the games league games, plus however many we last in the Cups would be televised here in America. Kind of challenging to really keep up with a team when you can only watch about 1 in 4 of their games.

If not for that, I could see how The Championship would appeal to some. No VAR, more competitive league, different away days, chance of maybe someday winning either the league or promotion playoff.

As an overseas supporter, the reason I desperately want to stay up is the fact that following a non-PL team is somewhere between difficult and impossible for us. Best case scenario is that 10 of the games league games, plus however many we last in the Cups would be televised here in America. Kind of challenging to really keep up with a team when you can only watch about 1 in 4 of their games.

If not for that, I could see how The Championship would appeal to some. No VAR, more competitive league, different away days, chance of maybe someday winning either the league or promotion playoff.
I think you can watch EFL games on ifollow . It’s like a pay per game thing . I’m not sure if it works abroad though

I’m interested to know everyone’s thoughts on why they want to stay up this season and continue in the Premier League. It Might sound like a daft question but everyone has their own reasons. I hope we stay up but Iv been bored and fed up with the PL for years now just making up the numbers, the bias to the big clubs etc.

What’s your reason?

Do you enjoy the league
Do you hope we compete for Champions league again one day?
Is it financial reasons for the club?
Another reason?

because the prem is the league everyone loves and wants to be in.

no everton supporter wants to be in the s***** championship

and we would never come back

we have to stay in this league

I think you can watch EFL games on ifollow . It’s like a pay per game thing . I’m not sure if it works abroad though
Not sure. I’ll look into it if it comes to that. Hopefully not. ESPN has the rights to the EFL, and basically just streams the 12:30 Saturday game each week, plus maybe a handful of others throughout the season.

There's absolutely nothing about the Premier League in itself that I'd miss. Its a corrupt embarrassment to the the sport, but guess what? The championship is also a corrupt embarrassment to the sport, just with lower playing standards. Lets be very clear here, absolutely nothing positive can or will come from us being relegated. Nothing. Oh I'm sure that some of us will find things that we can pretend to be positive about if/when it happens but that's just trying to put a brave face on things. Maybe we'll come back stronger for the experience of relegation if the worst happens, maybe it will help the club in the long run and purge us of the losers both on the field and in the boardroom, maybe some of the idiots that follow us but constantly talk about turning in their keys and walking away after every defeat will finally shut up and do it. Maybe all of that happens, but even if it did and the best case scenario of us smashing the championship and bouncing straight back happens it still wouldn't be worth the price we'd have to pay for it.

i would gladly take the corruption all day long

then being in that other bin of a league

Its not like the championship isn't corrupt either. Its just as messed up down there as it is in the Premier League. The whole sport is corrupt. Its just that the championship has a was lower standard of football.

I also think we have a better chance of building a better squad if we stay in the premier league rather than trying to build again in the championship, more chance of signing players, how many decent players would want to come to an average team in the championship because that’s what we will become if we go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.