Playing in the Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's the same old [Poor language removed] season after season.
City need a striker? No worries 150m on Haaland and will be right at the top again.
Liverpool, another CH? CM? No worries 50-70m and they go again.

United crash and burn, but can swipe a well regarded manager without any issues.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs always there and there abouts.

The league is boring, same teams near the top, most seasons two out of the three recently promoted teams go back down.

I'm losing interest in the league, regardless of whether Everton stays up or not, it will probably diminish further next season again.

A few people are touting this idea that it would be great for us to lose our long-standing top-flight status, lose all future football fans of our city to the RS and risk financial ruin because we might win more games. Is this a joke? Is it a concerted effort to troll us all?

Surely no one seriously wants for us to be playing the likes of Blackpool and Peterborough in perpetuity and for us to permanently lose our elite status just because we’ve struggled this season.

If anyone does I’ll be surprised.

I’m happy to have more defeats in this league than more wins over Scunthorpe or Blackpool or whoever. Wins over those clubs are worthless.

It’s like our Champions League ambitions. We know if we ever reach the group stages of the Champions League we will probably struggle and lose more matches than we would in the Prem. Obviously we’re a million miles from the CL right now, but you get the idea. If it’s just about winning we should go down to the National League North. We’d win almost all our games in that division.
Brilliant post.

ill ‘enjoy‘ the away days when the inevitable happens . But I won’t enjoy playing millwall away on a Sunday at 12pm with away fans on a bubble trip .

I won’t enjoy playing , hull , Wigan , Rotherham etc on Tuesday nights in the winter

I won’t enjoy the fact that our proud top flight history will be ruined .

I’ll have no complaints if we do go down. We deserve too .

For me it's the same old [Poor language removed] season after season.
City need a striker? No worries 150m on Haaland and will be right at the top again.
Liverpool, another CH? CM? No worries 50-70m and they go again.

United crash and burn, but can swipe a well regarded manager without any issues.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs always there and there abouts.

The league is boring, same teams near the top, most seasons two out of the three recently promoted teams go back down.

I'm losing interest in the league, regardless of whether Everton stays up or not, it will probably diminish further next season again.
I agree 100% and what is even more frustrating is that a majority of those fan bases truly believe their clubs are doing it all the "right" way and that every other club in the EPL has the same advantages, treatment, etc. as their own.

ill ‘enjoy‘ the away days when the inevitable happens . But I won’t enjoy playing millwall away on a Sunday at 12pm with away fans on a bubble trip .

I won’t enjoy playing , hull , Wigan , Rotherham etc on Tuesday nights in the winter

I won’t enjoy the fact that our proud top flight history will be ruined .

I’ll have no complaints if we do go down. We deserve too .
I wouldn’t say the history would be ruined unless we were down there long term or went down below the Championship as we’ve had 2 spells in the second tier before (1 year in 1930-31 and 3 seasons between 1951-54).

I wouldn’t say the history would be ruined unless we were down there long term or went down below the Championship as we’ve had 2 spells in the second tier before (1 year in 1930-31 and 3 seasons between 1951-54).
IMO it would be. it would put the final nail in our demise under kenwright and co . We would just become another club like the rest who go up and down . The top flight history is the last thread we have been able to cling onto to .

A few people are touting this idea that it would be great for us to lose our long-standing top-flight status, lose all future football fans of our city to the RS and risk financial ruin because we might win more games. Is this a joke? Is it a concerted effort to troll us all?

Surely no one seriously wants for us to be playing the likes of Blackpool and Peterborough in perpetuity and for us to permanently lose our elite status just because we’ve struggled this season.

If anyone does I’ll be surprised.

I’m happy to have more defeats in this league than more wins over Scunthorpe or Blackpool or whoever. Wins over those clubs are worthless.

It’s like our Champions League ambitions. We know if we ever reach the group stages of the Champions League we will probably struggle and lose more matches than we would in the Prem. Obviously we’re a million miles from the CL right now, but you get the idea. If it’s just about winning we should go down to the National League North. We’d win almost all our games in that division.
Fair point but think we are all clinging on to this hope that we will challenge again one day.

I'm not sure we ever will.

English Football has changed forever and not in a good way. It's corrupt, and on top of that we have become a failure of a club with little optimism and chance of success.

I was against it at first but I'd welcome the ESL now providing the 6 were kicked out of the league which is probably wishful thinking.

I don't want Relegation but it may just open our eyes to the reality that we will never challenge again and then we can accept the club for what we are. A big historical club who has failed to move with the times of the Premier League era. In the Championship we would stand a better chance of winning and after the initial embarrassment that would bring happier weekends.

Atletico Madrid were relegated in the last 25 years and they came back stronger in the end.

IMO it would be. it would put the final nail in our demise under kenwright and co . We would just become another club like the rest who go up and down . The top flight history is the last thread we have been able to cling onto to .
We’ll just have to see what happens if we did go down, some people think we’d come straight back up while others think we’d go down again, reality might be something similar to what happened when Villa went down, they struggled a bit for the first season and finished 13th and then had 2 promotion pushes and came back in the 3rd season. Hopefully it won’t happen at all and we stay up.

Once the initial pain of relegation wears off it would certainly be more exciting than just existing in the PL. Different teams, different style and we’re actually competing for something again.

Not ideal but it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

The Premier League is where we belong. But more important than playing/staying in it is actually getting our act together and being a perennial PL winner/challenger. We haven't ever been that. So if it means a spell in the c'ship to get our act together then I'm ok to get down there.

We don't get any trophies for staying in the top league for a long time, not even a letter from the Queen.

So if it means a spell in the c'ship to get our act together then I'm ok to get down there.

We don't get any trophies for staying in the top league for a long time, not even a letter from the Queen.
How will losing almost all of our revenue streams, losing all of our best players and diminishing our fan base enable us to “get our act together” and bring back the glory days?

I know fans up and down the country who support Championship sides, or sides who were down there for years and their consensus is that the Championship is Miles better than the Prem because there’s no real bias.

Apparently it’s like the old first division.

That said, it’s Everton and I fear we’d never come back up if we went down. We’re not structured to come back up wage wise, don’t think we’ve got the finances to build a squad of going up either.

Status
Not open for further replies.