Players who you wished they'd gave more of a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly younger players who had promise all the way through and then never got a real chance. Kissock, Ledson, Green, Walsh, Dowell. People will point to them finding a level, etc, but sometimes the difference between making it and not is a chance.

Always thought McFadden deserved more than he got as well.
The likes of kissock and green both playing non league football in their primes, I'm with the club on this lol.

Few good young players came through in the 90s and just never met their potential - in part because we were [Poor language removed] and the club an absolute circus at the time.

Michael Ball and Jeffers prob the most prominent examples. I mean Franny in particular was a clown - but you'd think both would have had way stronger careers if they had come through ten years later under Moyes, say.
We gave both Jeffers and ball chances, but they moved onto what they thought were bigger clubs

Never seemed to be quite 100% focused on football, was more interested in other stuff like music and art.
I didn't no that, seems to be a theme with players at Everton.
From this thread I found out John O Kane was similar in his lack of interest in football.

I didn't no that, seems to be a theme with players at Everton.
From this thread I found out John O Kane was similar in his lack of interest in football.
Yeah he was one of those kids who was into loads of things footy, skateboards, music, art and a few other things and everything he tried he was just good at. A naturally talented kid basically. Footy was'nt his main interest though, he just happened to be very good at it. I'm not sure things were greatly helped by Moyes either mind you, there is some stories that a number of the youth coaches at the time were telling Moyes to let him train with the seniors and give him a chance but Moyes would'nt even acknowledge him by all accounts. A skilful player like that was never going to get into a Moyes team tbf, I doubt Davie would know what to do with a player like that.

A couple for the oldies.

George Telfer never let us down on the rare occasion he got a chance in the 70s.

David Johnson scored the winner on his derby debut in ‘71 (my first derby as well as it happens ;)) but a year or so later was left behind in Ipswich after an away game as Harry made a trade and came back with…..Rod Belfitt :oops:

Dave went on to play for England, when caps were hard to come by, and won the European Cup with the RS.

Possibly the worst piece of business EFC has ever done.

First name of my list is Liam Walsh! That team had so many talented players that just needed a shot. Walsh though always stood out head and shoulders above the others who if you remember included Dowell, Davies (a touch younger)..
Him moving on was the straw that broke the back for me.. Davies came through a little later but Walsh was such a joy to watch .. gutted ..
Everyone was excited about him. I had the chance to spend over an hour with Martinez in either his second or third season with us and asked him specifically about Walsh. He was absolutely gushing about his abilities (I know, unusual for Martinez!) but was very frank about his prospects of a top career in the game. It basically came down to nobody knew what he was. Was he a winger? Was he a 10? Was his role a little deeper? Off the forward? Even with coaching, he drifted all over the place, looking to be involved. I suppose that's great if your established and in a good team who can cover your vacant space. A loan he had just been sent on was basically his last chance to nail down a position.

I don't even know where he is now? Is it Torquay or somewhere similar?
As someone who believes in deliberate youth development with game time that is meaningful
I could go on..
I have said it many times here, my absolute favorite Arsene Wenger quote is that you pay for the development of youth players with dropped points.

He's exactly right, but I guess it depends where we sit in the table. Obviously, if you're bottom 6 it's unlikely worth throwing them in, similarly, if you're challenging for the league you can only really use them in Carabao/FA Cup.

If we're using this as a treading water season with no real ambition beyond 7th-10th this may well be a good season to bring a few on during league games. Proper football is the only way to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.