Players who you wished they'd gave more of a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone was excited about him. I had the chance to spend over an hour with Martinez in either his second or third season with us and asked him specifically about Walsh. He was absolutely gushing about his abilities (I know, unusual for Martinez!) but was very frank about his prospects of a top career in the game. It basically came down to nobody knew what he was. Was he a winger? Was he a 10? Was his role a little deeper? Off the forward? Even with coaching, he drifted all over the place, looking to be involved. I suppose that's great if your established and in a good team who can cover your vacant space. A loan he had just been sent on was basically his last chance to nail down a position.

I don't even know where he is now? Is it Torquay or somewhere similar?

I have said it many times here, my absolute favorite Arsene Wenger quote is that you pay for the development of youth players with dropped points.

He's exactly right, but I guess it depends where we sit in the table. Obviously, if you're bottom 6 it's unlikely worth throwing them in, similarly, if you're challenging for the league you can only really use them in Carabao/FA Cup.

If we're using this as a treading water season with no real ambition beyond 7th-10th this may well be a good season to bring a few on during league games. Proper football is the only way to learn.
Sure you don't mean Antony Evans? Don't remember Walsh every being described as anything other than a centre mid.

Sure you don't mean Antony Evans? Don't remember Walsh every being described as anything other than a centre mid.
It was definitely "little Liam" (Martinez words) who they were not sure where he was best suited.

Just checked, he'd just been sent to Yeovil Town when we had this chat.

As a side note, we'd also just signed Niasse and he stayed behind for extra shooting practice which was going on about 50 yards away.

Martinez was looking a little concerned.

Last edited:
Everyone was excited about him. I had the chance to spend over an hour with Martinez in either his second or third season with us and asked him specifically about Walsh. He was absolutely gushing about his abilities (I know, unusual for Martinez!) but was very frank about his prospects of a top career in the game. It basically came down to nobody knew what he was. Was he a winger? Was he a 10? Was his role a little deeper? Off the forward? Even with coaching, he drifted all over the place, looking to be involved. I suppose that's great if your established and in a good team who can cover your vacant space. A loan he had just been sent on was basically his last chance to nail down a position.

I don't even know where he is now? Is it Torquay or somewhere similar?

I have said it many times here, my absolute favorite Arsene Wenger quote is that you pay for the development of youth players with dropped points.

He's exactly right, but I guess it depends where we sit in the table. Obviously, if you're bottom 6 it's unlikely worth throwing them in, similarly, if you're challenging for the league you can only really use them in Carabao/FA Cup.

If we're using this as a treading water season with no real ambition beyond 7th-10th this may well be a good season to bring a few on during league games. Proper football is the only way to learn.

sorry missed your response at the time. Yep I remember Martinez giving some cryptic info about a potential star.. we were all debating who with most going between Evans and Walsh. But think you confirmed it was Walsh.
I like that Arsene quote.. going to steal it with pride. the others though that do use youth are those at the very top as maybe there is enough other quality in the team to cover and still get the points.

sorry missed your response at the time. Yep I remember Martinez giving some cryptic info about a potential star.. we were all debating who with most going between Evans and Walsh. But think you confirmed it was Walsh.
I like that Arsene quote.. going to steal it with pride. the others though that do use youth are those at the very top as maybe there is enough other quality in the team to cover and still get the points.
I think that's spot on. It's easy to bring young players in if it's 20-30 min here and there surrounded by quality.

Such a shame Wenger has turned into a FIFA loony. He was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.