Players who have came through the academy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said in the transfer thread, we've primarily relied upon 17 players this season, which is pretty small by PL standards. Despite this, no youth players has managed to break through, even to the status of semi-regular bench player. Gordon is it, and he's made 2 appearances. When your first team is clearly short on quality and quantity, and still youth players aren't even making the bench, it doesn't suggest much faith in the quality of the youth team to me.

I remember Sean Doherty doing the absolute dirt on us, binning us of for Fulham and making a song and dance of it in the media, like he was some kind of star. His Dad was a youth coach here as well. Annoyed me at the time.

He ended up in the league of Ireland.

...he ended up at Sligo, which was very fortunate because when his Dad (Mick) went to watch, he spotted Seamus Coleman. I think Sean is a sportswear agent these days, I saw him out having a pint with Paul Tait a few weeks ago.

My old school that, unfortunately I’m crap at footy though.

You could probably make a team of lads who have come through Cardinal Heenan, unreal the amount of footballers who have come through there.

I'd be curious to see a breakdown of players to come from Liverpool schools in the last 10/20 years. My local seniors, De La Selle, always had a big rep because of Jeffers and Rooney but never really heard of anyone else coming through.

Think there’s literally one or two from every year, on top of the ones already mentioned, there’s -

Lee Nicholls (MK Dons), Jack O’Connell (Sheff United), Ty Browning, Bradley Orr, David Nugent, Sean Clancy (Blackpool), Carl Tremarco (Tranmere) & Bobby Duncan (Fiorentina). Big David Price and Rocky Fielding went there aswell.

The school banned academy scouts whilst I was there because they were fed up of their better players being poached
I went there and played in the same team as Carl Tremarco.

Mark Duffy currently at Stoke and played in the Sheff Utd team that came up was also in the same team as me and Carl.

I said in the transfer thread, we've primarily relied upon 17 players this season, which is pretty small by PL standards. Despite this, no youth players has managed to break through, even to the status of semi-regular bench player. Gordon is it, and he's made 2 appearances. When your first team is clearly short on quality and quantity, and still youth players aren't even making the bench, it doesn't suggest much faith in the quality of the youth team to me.

A couple have sat on the bench this season.

The problem with us is most of the games we play have at least something riding on them be it needed to win to get away from the relegation zone (earlier in the season) pushing for a European spot (currently) or playing a near full strength side in the cups in a (pointless) attempt to win something.

We have about as many youth players in our match day squad as most teams in the top flight, thats the problem, its a massive step up and you dont get the time to experiment much with so much money riding on everything.

Realistically the likes of Calvert Lewin and Holgate are there instead of our youth players, they were still very young when they came through we just so happened to pluck them from another team.

A couple have sat on the bench this season.

The problem with us is most of the games we play have at least something riding on them be it needed to win to get away from the relegation zone (earlier in the season) pushing for a European spot (currently) or playing a near full strength side in the cups in a (pointless) attempt to win something.

We have about as many youth players in our match day squad as most teams in the top flight, thats the problem, its a massive step up and you dont get the time to experiment much with so much money riding on everything.

Realistically the likes of Calvert Lewin and Holgate are there instead of our youth players, they were still very young when they came through we just so happened to pluck them from another team.

Tom Davies became a regular in the 2016/17 season, the same season both Holgate and DCL made their breakthrough. Since then, we haven't had a single youth player come through. That's three seasons. Not great really (okay, you could argue that JJ Kenny has done so, but he's not here now).

Tom Davies became a regular in the 2016/17 season, the same season both Holgate and DCL made their breakthrough. Since then, we haven't had a single youth player come through. That's three seasons. Not great really (okay, you could argue that JJ Kenny has done so, but he's not here now).

We are not the only club like that though.

As I said we have not really been in a position to bring some in, or maybe they are just not quite good enough hence us buying a young striker for loads of money instead.

We are not the only club like that though.

As I said we have not really been in a position to bring some in, or maybe they are just not quite good enough hence us buying a young striker for loads of money instead.

For sure, I don't know enough about other clubs to commentate. There would appear to be a perfect scenario for young players to be blooded though, as we have a small squad in terms of quality players, but we also have a bloated squad in terms of dross, which is limiting our ability to bring players in due to FFP. You can see at Chelsea how the transfer ban has encouraged them to try youngsters out and they've done very well. We haven't done that at all, with Gordon the only youth player to turn out for the first team this season, and then only for about 120 minutes. For a youth team that has consistently won things, that's a rubbish return.

Part of the problem must be the turn over in managers plus the nondescript wasters still on our books. Young Benny got a show under Rhino but there is a dearth of those actually making it. We should follow the Anfield format where every team at the club play to the same formation thus a young player is honed to play in a particular way for his position. This processing helps lever young talent into whatever role they play and is aimed in the long term for the benefit of the senior squad.
It's not as though our kids don't win things, their double last term was unique but that team is scattered to all corners out on loan under the guise of gaining experience when I believe it makes many disenchanted.
Carlo really does need to over haul the entire youth system and hone it for the first team rather than a rental trade for the lower leagues. Can anyone find a reason for Luke Garbutt still being on our books, he must be due for retirement shortly.

For sure, I don't know enough about other clubs to commentate. There would appear to be a perfect scenario for young players to be blooded though, as we have a small squad in terms of quality players, but we also have a bloated squad in terms of dross, which is limiting our ability to bring players in due to FFP. You can see at Chelsea how the transfer ban has encouraged them to try youngsters out and they've done very well. We haven't done that at all, with Gordon the only youth player to turn out for the first team this season, and then only for about 120 minutes. For a youth team that has consistently won things, that's a rubbish return.

Changing manager every 6 to 18 months isn't doin us any favours in that regard.
Hopefully things will settle down now for the next load of seasons and we should see a proper plan to promote players.

Ryan Ledson went to Oxford and is now at Preston. Could make it back to the prem one day

Fair play to him he chose to leave and play at a lower standard where he got first team football, if he hadn’t left he still be playing under 23s for us with with a loan spell or 2 under his belt. There was some hype about him but we obviously couldn’t match Oxfords promises lol

Part of the problem must be the turn over in managers plus the nondescript wasters still on our books. Young Benny got a show under Rhino but there is a dearth of those actually making it. We should follow the Anfield format where every team at the club play to the same formation thus a young player is honed to play in a particular way for his position. This processing helps lever young talent into whatever role they play and is aimed in the long term for the benefit of the senior squad.
It's not as though our kids don't win things, their double last term was unique but that team is scattered to all corners out on loan under the guise of gaining experience when I believe it makes many disenchanted.
Carlo really does need to over haul the entire youth system and hone it for the first team rather than a rental trade for the lower leagues. Can anyone find a reason for Luke Garbutt still being on our books, he must be due for retirement shortly.
Changing manager every 6 to 18 months isn't doin us any favours in that regard.
Hopefully things will settle down now for the next load of seasons and we should see a proper plan to promote players.

You'd hope that the director of football is there to ensure continuity for precisely that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.