Players we were after and should have signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, McManamen, Fowler and Carragher all came through together. Pretty sure Fowler even had trials with us as a kid but Dalglish was personally driving him home from training to make sure he signed for the shyte.

Thing is now though, I think we have the lions share of any top local talent and 90% of parents would pick their kids to come to us over them. We've got a proven track record of at the very least players going on to have decent careers at other clubs.

#OperationYewTree

Once Liverpool has touched you..... lol

Nigel Martyn (96)
Petr Cech.

We should have signed Jack Butland a few years back too.

Other than Martyn's brief spell in the twilight of his career we have not had an elite level keeper since Southall and that has cost us honours imo.

Nigel Martyn (96)
Petr Cech.

We should have signed Jack Butland a few years back too.

Other than Martyn's brief spell in the twilight of his career we have not had an elite level keeper since Southall and that has cost us honours imo.

Correct. I still get annoyed watching Tim Howard dive with the wrong hand for Lampards goal in the final.

I think the following were on the radar

Peter Shilton, Kenny Dalglish (as a 19 year old but Stein changed his mind) and Billy Bremner (who then broke through at Leeds after an injury to a first teamer).

Ravinelli. him and duncan upfront? Batter the opposition.

ALso

Tor Andre Flo. Imagine where we could have got to if Royle had not resigned?
Although I'm aware it's not a popular opinion, there's a possibility that the answer to that question would be the championship.

As well as Flo, Royle wanted to sign Claus Eftevaag (an absolute no mark centre half) and a 35 year old Barry Horne. The story I always heard was that Eftevaag failed his medical (he retired not long afterwards) but Royle wanted us to sign him anyway in order to get Flo. That sort of recklessness could have killed the club in those days.

I'll always have a lot of time for Joe Royle but I think his management spell is viewed with blue tinted specs in a lot of cases. We were going rapidly backwards by the time he left, and the idea that Claus Thomsen could be the answer to our problems suggests Joe may not have been the man to halt the slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.