Players salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Movie stars. Pop stars. I've seen a lot of crap movies and heard a lot of crap songs. Are you saying that they don't need to give away 30% if they are good?

Completely different I’m afraid, their earnings are based on a film-by-film or tour-by-tour/album-by-album basis, with sponsorships on top.

Why on earth people are feeling the need to passionately defend footballer’s salaries is beyond me.

For what companies? If the companies are successful then I beg to differ that they’re as bad at their jobs as some footballers.
CEO's, CTO's, etc of large corporations are regularly replaced/removed. Being part of a successful firm does not make an individual good at their role. Do you think these people leave with empty pockets? The reality of the corporate world is that they are given huge payoffs and restricted from taking on certain types of future employment for significant periods of time. They are effectively paid to do nothing as it prevents their business knowledge being transferred to a rival company. Travel companies are a good place to look given the recent Covid discussions.

Completely different I’m afraid, their earnings are based on a film-by-film or tour-by-tour/album-by-album basis, with sponsorships on top.

Why on earth people are feeling the need to passionately defend footballer’s salaries is beyond me.
I'm not passionately defending footballers but I do question the right for people to demand someone else gets a paycut.

Also, the above are not different at all. It's someone who's earnings could be considered obscene and should therefore be forced to share those earnings.

I see Millwall are putting all of their players on Furlough and then topping up their salaries.......Football is finished......

I've written a couple of things for the main page. They were meant to sort of signpost the danger we are in. In all honesty my feeling is increasingly they were too cautious. We are in for big big shock.

What I will say with the players. Not only do they enjoy obscene wages (at the top end particularly so) but they have been in an industry that has seen almost unheralded growth for 30 years. Even a 30% cut to wages still have them earning more than they did 5-6 years ago and substantially more than 10 years ago. This shouldn't be lost.

I think a 30% cut would only stem the flow too. It would allow clubs to just about keep breathing, if we navigate our way through this crisis quite well and the problems aren't too damaging. 30% will allow us to probably control the downturn without panic setting in.

The worry is, without such a measure, and football clubs going bust (Germany, a relatively well run country estimates as much as 50% of their 2nd tier sides could go bust) can you imagine the amount of bad debt in the system then? The whole thing would collapse on itself. Players salaries would fall a lot more than 30% in such scenario.

Credit to making a donation to the nhs, but they're not giving up 30% then.

I thought the whole point of this was to keep clubs afloat and keep non-playing staff in jobs by allowing clubs to survive financially. I wonder wonder which premier league/ championship club furlough their players first, because lets be honest its going to come down to that. See how they get by on 2.5k a month then.

Status
Not open for further replies.