Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barkley (2011 - 2017)

• Mirallas (2012 - 2018)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on God’s green earth is Tim Howard in this list?!

Think it's harsh to write off the mostly good time he had here. He only really deteriorated in the final couple of seasons meaning he still contributed a fair bit between about 2010 and 13/14.

Shocked to discover that Phil Neville with his 242 appearances for Everton is not on the list

I had considered him but I reckon there would have been a load of negative comments and didn't want the thread to be full of them.

Looks like Coleman, Lukaku and Baines are the stand outs.

Think it's harsh to write off the mostly good time he had here. He only really deteriorated in the final couple of seasons meaning he still contributed a fair bit between about 2010 and 13/14.

I disagree wholeheartedly. After 2009 FA Cup Final I knew we'd never win a sausage with him in nets.

2013/14 was the red herring of this decade. His first few seasons he was solid, then from about 2011 onwards he was one of the worst goalkeepers I've ever seen. His 2012/13 performances still wake me up in cold sweats to this day.

Finest memory of Timmy H is probably his penalty save against Kuyt in the derby. But no way am I voting for him, so many subtle technical errors from him it's crazy.

Baines pre 2015 get's my vote.

Baines had a genuine claim to being the best left back in the world for a while, so him. Coleman second, Lukaku third.

Pienaar in his first spell would be player of the 2000s, but his second wasn’t as good obviously.

Baines had a genuine claim to being the best left back in the world for a while, so him. Coleman second, Lukaku third.

Pienaar in his first spell would be player of the 2000s, but his second wasn’t as good obviously.

Do you think fans of other supporters would agree with that (ignoring the obvious ones like the RS who would disagree because he played for us) ? I definitely think he could be discussed in that bracket, although Ashley Cole for example was a far better left back overall in my opinion. But just wondering if we're all overrating him a bit.

I mentioned it before but this poll is weighted in Coleman's favour due to when the question has been asked. Always going to be the case though as Baines best years were at the start of the decade and people will often think of more recent times when choosing. Very close run thing between them though for me.

Do you think fans of other supporters would agree with that (ignoring the obvious ones like the RS who would disagree because he played for us) ? I definitely think he could be discussed in that bracket, although Ashley Cole for example was a far better left back overall in my opinion. But just wondering if we're all overrating him a bit.

I mentioned it before but this poll is weighted in Coleman's favour due to when the question has been asked. Always going to be the case though as Baines best years were at the start of the decade and people will often think of more recent times when choosing. Very close run thing between them though for me.
I think knowledgeable ones would yeah. He was twice named in the PFA team of the year at a time when Evra, Cole, Clichy, Monreal etc were playing in the same position and the PL was widely recognised as being the best or at least 2nd best league in the world, so I think most observers accepted he was genuine class.

Ashley Cole was definitely a better player, no doubt about that. But when Baines was in his prime Cole was declining, Alaba hadn’t emerged fully, Marcelo was questionable at best and Alba still isn’t raved about. It may not have been for long, and he possibly wasn’t the best, but Baines at one point was certainly at least in the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.