Patrick Viera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merseyside Police investigating this.

It's really unprofessional from Vieira but I don't think he gets much more than a telling off.

The lad is a weapon for taunting Vieira - the only reason he's filming himself doing it is to win some internet points - but there's no actual crime committed towards Vieira is there?

There'll just be fines for the invasion, I don't think much more will come from this.

This shouldn't really be an issue. No harm was done in the end, it could have been worse and there is an issue with football right now but just get on with it.

I am annoyed that this is the story today and not the great match that happened.

Said before...they don't mention that our own fans split it up and walked Veira towards the tunnel so no one else could give him stick.

1 clown out of 40 thousand.

No. He’s paid millions because he has a highly valuable skill that is in great demand. It’s simple economics. There is no clause in that agreement for behavioural standards over and above maintaining socially acceptable behaviours in normal circumstances, i.e. in the absence of unsolicited and unreasonable provocation.

And let’s not let a lack of millions of pounds’ wealth excuse yobbish behaviour. Working class people are not yobs just because they’re not rich. The majority of us behave very well without needing to be paid millions in order to behave.

I’m not excusing the yobs behaviour. The reality is though he’ll get away with it because no one knows who he is.

Vieira, because of the skill set he has, represents Crystal Palace as an institution. He is the most prominent representation of the club to the entire world. There’s a certain behavioural standard attached to that whether people like it or not, so the consequences for Vieira will be higher than the anonymous fan. Vieira knew all of that when taking the job, just as he knows that if he loses a few games he could be fired completely unfairly, that’s why the salary is so high.

It’s the same reason why MPs resign for offences that other people could carry out every weekend and get away with. Certain behaviours have to align to certain jobs and I doubt Steve Parish is sat there this morning pleased to see the manager he pays a lot of money to represent Crystal Palace losing his cool and kicking a fan.

I’m gonna play devils advocate , if a racial insult was thrown in, would you expect Patrick to do nothing ? I think we have to draw the line somewhere, say that fan was way past the line (literally lol) and say well Patrick should be applauded for saying people in the spotlight shouldn’t tolerate abuse . Wag the finger at the little b***ard that wanted a few likes on Facebook live and got his arse handed back to him on a plate ?
But he didn't? That's like saying "if the fan had a gun" of course in extreme circumstances it would make sense for him to kick him.

If someone was in my face, I'd do the same....but, in his role, he should've resisted the urge and walked off. Just like Ronaldo, when he slapped the kids phone.

No-one wins in this instance. They both come out of it looking like fools.

The fan is an utter cretin and deserved a lot more than a kick. Cowardly little fella who only did it because he knows Viera can't react. Look at the way he was backing off when Vieira was actually fronting him

Vieira will regret reacting but I will ALWAYS have sympathy with the person being taunted. You can't do that and blame someone for not having super human patience. It's like the Mike Tyson incident of a couple weeks ago.

And this morning we have that pumpkin head Brazil trying to make out that some racial slur was said.
Exactly like many oppo fans have been saying to make him do that , as much as the fan shouldnt be doing what he was doing, i thought Viera went overboard, but when your team have let a 2 goal lead slip you probably want to fight with anyone who is annoying you (i did read what was said but thats 1st time ive seen the vid)

Hear what you’re saying and you make your point well. I’ll illustrate my point with an analogy.

No one will argue that doctors are held to highly rigid, well defined and enforceable codes of conduct. They’re to act with consummate professionalism at all times, even in the face of provocation which is commonplace during their normal working day.

If a doctor kicks out at a patient in similar circumstances, she/he will be hurled in front of the GMC. That doctor though, or their lawyers actually, are likely to point out that their reaction was in response to a reasonable apprehension of harm upon their body through the actions of the patient. The cctv footage will back that up and it’ll be agreed that it is impossible to uphold required professional behaviour in the face of what is legally definable as “assault”. Said doctor likely to escape severe punishment and we will all cheer for her/him.

I’d be amazed and disappointed if PV is harshly punished for what he did.
I don't want to see him harshly punished, but if I was connected to Crystal Palace I'd be pretty disgusted. That is not the image any club would want to project. If Lampard kicked out at an opposition fan I'd be appalled. Sometimes the mask slips from the faces of "professionals" and it reveals a hidden truth. Think David Moyes's "slap" comments to a female reporter a few years back. Unedifying to say the least. Only this month we saw further evidence of Moyes's character when he disgraced himself with the ballboy in Frankfurt. I don't want to see Vieira punished, nor do I care if he is. But I certainly won't be going out of my way to defend him.

Status
Not open for further replies.