Overrated or underrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kone has had 2 decent games in 3 seasons and he's now underrated... Pienaar hasn't kicked a ball for about 6 months and he's also underrated.

This thread is the best I've ever seen on GOT, well done sir.

If someone has more than abar four decent games on the bounce they become the best in the league at their position and worth a gazillion quid, similarly if they have a few crud games they become the next Neville Heitinger Osman character, there isn't much rationality about it.
Heitinga is a fantastic example for your point tbh.

Best defender one season, doesn't play - worst defender ever, sell him for a quid ffs.

Ah, classic Everton.

Kone has had 2 decent games in 3 seasons and he's now underrated... Pienaar hasn't kicked a ball for about 6 months and he's also underrated.

This thread is the best I've ever seen on GOT, well done sir.

With pienaar, I was more thinking about the past. I do think people underestimate how important he was to our team a few years ago, but yeah now he is done.
I have always said that Kone is not as bad as he was made out to be by most. He has had a rough time with injuries but as a footballer he is technically good and uses the ball intellegently, which I like. I want trying to make a point on who I thought was underrated/ overrated, I just wanted to see other people's opinions on who they thought were. Sadly, I don't think anyone is getting on board with that.

Rating is surely determined to a large degree by how much we are prepared to pay for a player.. (transfer fees if appropriate, wages, renewed contract etc) and then by whether the player lives up to that billing or exceeds it - when we pay next to nothing what right to we have to heap massive expectation on a player's achievements?:

Underrated - worth more than we paid or his wages (youth product):
Coleman (the absolute master)
Stones
Baines
Jags
Mirallas
Cleverley
Naismith (free transfer remember)
Barry
Barkley (would most likely command a big fee and more wages than we pay him)
Galloway (potential bargain)

Spot On
Lukaku (positive)
McCarthy (positive)

Deulofeu (probably, based mostly on 13-14)
Osman (maybe fading)
Pienaar (now fading down the list though)
Oviedo (maybe fading, injury problems)
Howard (could go either way)
Hibbert (well past his best I suspect)
Robles (bog standard back-up keeper, low expectations)

Overrated (has not lived up to expectations - yet - or may never get there, see McGeady)
Besic
Kone (but moving up)
Gibson (injury record, wages spent)
Garbutt (a tad disappointing)
McGeady (everyone's new waste of space)

Others from youth squad wouldn't like to comment.

Underrated

Lennon (Not that he is our player...but you know) - He provides balance to our team.
Kone - Not great but nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe.
Besic - I think hes a quality footballer.
Lukaku - Superb striker, gets hardly any service.
Cleverley - Quite unassuming. Hes a solid player, no real weaknesses.
Barry - Was godlike at first, then he had a poor run and he is the worst player ever. The truth is somewhere in between.

Overrated

Mirallas - I don't get why everybody loves him. Hes alright.
Howard - By some obviously.

Underrated

Lennon (Not that he is our player...but you know) - He provides balance to our team.
Kone - Not great but nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe.
Besic - I think hes a quality footballer.
Lukaku - Superb striker, gets hardly any service.
Cleverley - Quite unassuming. Hes a solid player, no real weaknesses.
Barry - Was godlike at first, then he had a poor run and he is the worst player ever. The truth is somewhere in between.

Overrated

Mirallas - I don't get why everybody loves him. Hes alright.
Howard - By some obviously.

He's getting there now, isn't he? Think he has been really solid so far this season

Overhyped and underhyped would be better.

The fact that Kone is supposedly underrated says it all for me.

Kone is the new Robles, 2 half decent games and now he's quality. The truth is they are not good enough for a top 10 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.