Our worst signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Beattie seems to have slipped under the radar. He was a big signing and a massive flop so I would like to nominate him.

A ridiculous signing.

I actually think Beattie had his uses, he always got goals in his career but to replace Marcus Bent who played a vital role in us finishing 4th with his work rate in a hard, often isolated role with Beattie who was pretty much a fat (comparatively speaking) lazy shed was madness.

He was the least suited player to play that role.

Kroldrup was always hilarious, due to the fact before the proper internet, you still used to get fellas "ITK", in the concourse spouting the.

"We weren't in for Kroldrup, we scouted Simon Kjaer, but got the two mixed up". lol I know we're a joke, but surely no one believed that.

Ha you would like to think not but you do have to wonder what exactly did go on there. At least we sorted the mess out quickly.

Pound for pound, if you weigh up the amount we spent, how much return we got and what they produced on the pitch, I don't currently see much past...

Bilic - WORLD record transfer fee for a defender at the time, poor form and injuries - given a free after 2 years
Nyarko - genuinely didn't give one, eventually have him a free transfer
Niasse - A genuine miracle he ever made a career out of football and we made him our 3rd biggest signing. Unsurprisingly, given a free (and hasnt been able to find a team since)

Granted, the likes of Bolasie etc may one day make the list, but for me it's a clear shortlist of three currently

Bilic - WORLD record transfer fee for a defender at the time, poor form and injuries - given a free after 2 years

I'm not sure that's right. Jaap Stam moved the same season for around 10m. Pretty sure Koeman moved to Barcelona for more than we paid for Bilic (4.5m) 10 years prior.

Record fee between too English clubs for a defender probably? Either way yeah he was a waste of money and talent compared to what was expected from him.

I think Richard Wright was a particularly terrible signing - a fairly big fee (£3.5M) for the time, and he was consistently awful with no resale value. His poor decision-making skills were much in line with our current #1, and the signing of Nigel Martyn a year later was such a big relief. Now a coach at Man City, apparently, where he presumably provides pointers on how to trip over "keep off the grass" signs, and so on.

Not sure if these guys have been mentioned. But in trying to think outside the usual suspects. Outside the usual names that come up when talking about waste of money signings.
These few spring to mind..........Jo......short name......even shorter Everton career.........not great for us.
And Vinny Samways. Blink and you have missed his Everton career. Although he did score a loopy punt of a goal in a charity shield once.....
Luke Garbutt........another waste of money. Although I did once think that he looked promising.
Also Johnny Heitinga..........not great. And that New Zealand defender we once signed. Can't remember his name.......
And the German I think we nicknamed "the hammer".
Maybe those guys were not terrible footballers. But they didn't do much for us.
Ps.........hard to say who our worst ever signing was. Maybe Glenn Keeley.
Most costly and waste of money.........Siggy. Closely followed by any number of players brought in the past five years.
Besic...... Bolassie....... Iwobi.......Walcott.....Tosun......Klassen......all those bought from Wigan.
We (Everton) have wasted some amount of money in recent years. Add to that the money paid to useless managers as well. We must have a nice sympathetic bank manager.........Up the Toffees.....

I'm not sure that's right. Jaap Stam moved the same season for around 10m. Pretty sure Koeman moved to Barcelona for more than we paid for Bilic (4.5m) 10 years prior.

Record fee between too English clubs for a defender probably? Either way yeah he was a waste of money and talent compared to what was expected from him.

Jaap Stam moved a year later than Bilic. Bilic signed for us in the summer of 1997. Stam signed for United in the summer of 98.

The Koeman transfer is a fair shout, but he cost approx 1bn pesetas in 1989, problem with that one was that it was a bit murky (apparently) in terms of what was paid to PSV and what was add-ons, agents fees, what Koeman was paid etc. If the 1bn pesetas was all transfer fee, it would have been about £5.2m back in 1989, but it's generally assumed it wasn't.

Mickey Walsh from Blackpool..... signed on the promise of Goal of the Season couldn't hit the proverbial barn door for us

Seconded only by his relative Steve who, during his equally short stay,managed to waste the biggest transfer budget Everton have ever had.

I think Richard Wright was a particularly terrible signing - a fairly big fee (£3.5M) for the time, and he was consistently awful with no resale value. His poor decision-making skills were much in line with our current #1, and the signing of Nigel Martyn a year later was such a big relief. Now a coach at Man City, apparently, where he presumably provides pointers on how to trip over "keep off the grass" signs, and so on.

Steve Simonsen deserves a shout.

Status
Not open for further replies.