Our worst signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible we've signed more duds in the last 30 years or so than we have in the whole history of Everton Football Club.

We simply are not living up to the motto at all. And haven't done for a long long long looooooooooooong time...

I don't even have a cat to kick either... Ffs

Bilyaletdinov wasn't the worst player, but he was a waste of what turned out to be the last bit of 'war chest' that Moyes would have to spend for almost three years. It might have been possible to buy Donovan if that money had been held onto a bit longer.

Niasse was arguably the poorest footballer I've ever seen live, especially for the price, and Sigurdsson is abysmal for what he cost, too. I'd be very tempted to pick Iwobi, though, as that was an insane figure to agree to for someone who has never been a regular starter at club level. It's as bad as what Bournemouth paid for Ibe and Solanke.

Can’t believe Stephen Hughes hasn’t been mentioned yet. Cost 3 million when 3 million quid was 3 million quid and was dreadful when not injured. Was then free transferred after just one year.

Considering the finances I reckon Ward and Tiler did OK for us. Terrible side but they never stuck out to me as bad signings and I thought Tiler especially was better than he was given credit for. Limited but reliable.

John O'Kane wasn't shockingly bad either from what I remember and deffo not in the category of worst signings ever. Farrelly kept us up and (I think) has become a massive blue so gets a pass as well. I'd put Danny Williamson or Stephen Hughes in miles ahead of him.

None of them are at the Kroldrup - Nyarko level.
I'd agree with Tiler. Seem to remember o Kane being hard done by as thought he was alright but never got a game.

Siggy even with the price tag wouldn’t be in the top 25 worst. He’s got talent and scored 14 goals in one season. Mental to be mentioning him.

plenty worse like drunken Andy and niasse.

You warned me and @Sassy Colombian lol

Still the best forum, even when the sky is falling and the ground is on fire due to ONE loss

Tbf, the great thing about this forum is that there is an inverse relationship between Everton's success and the quality of this forum. When Everton are crap, this forum is at its best. Insults fly, proclamations get made, posters get banned and people make the type of "heat of the moment" statements they will be vaulted on for years to come

Siggy even with the price tag wouldn’t be in the top 25 worst. He’s got talent and scored 14 goals in one season. Mental to be mentioning him.

plenty worse like drunken Andy and niasse.

1000% agree with this. He has the odd good game/cameo off the bench. Some of his goals are worldies as well. Not worth anywhere near what we paid for him but it's hardly a 'WTF' type signing like some of the others we've made over the years.

It’s actually shocking that usually you get about 3/4 really poor signings over the duration of 10 years , however we’ve surpassed that, in the space of 5 years could probably name about 10 players who have been really really poor signings for the club, if not just from the Koeman/Walsh era alone.

I mean when you consider the late 90's we were skint.

£3.3m for Simonsen (British Record)
£4.5m for Bilic

Then more recently the worst signing pound for pound has to be

£27m Bolasie

£28 rising to £35m for Iwobi will inevitably overtake him as he's absolutely useless.

£45m for Sigurdsson was horrendous business, even though he has scored a couple of goals.

Signings like Senderos, Anthony Gardner, Cuco Martina, Eddy Bosnar will not be appearing anywhere near my list as we didn't pay anything for them, even if some never player or were garbage.

Considering the finances I reckon Ward and Tiler did OK for us. Terrible side but they never stuck out to me as bad signings and I thought Tiler especially was better than he was given credit for. Limited but reliable.

John O'Kane wasn't shockingly bad either from what I remember and deffo not in the category of worst signings ever. Farrelly kept us up and (I think) has become a massive blue so gets a pass as well. I'd put Danny Williamson or Stephen Hughes in miles ahead of him.

None of them are at the Kroldrup - Nyarko level.

Spot on but you are being very very harsh on Danny Williamson. he played about 10 games for us (did well in the Cadamarteri derby in that time too) and then had a career ending injury. Was a waste of money all in all through no fault of his own but he wasnt a bad player, or more the fact he never even got a chance to show if he was good or bad.

I put Kroldrup purely on Moyes. He was a good player, Moyes obviously didn't even know what he was getting with him though which is really weird and quite unlike him.

I put Kroldrup purely on Moyes. He was a good player, Moyes obviously didn't even know what he was getting with him though which is really weird and quite unlike him.

Kroldrup was always hilarious, due to the fact before the proper internet, you still used to get fellas "ITK", in the concourse spouting the.

"We weren't in for Kroldrup, we scouted Simon Kjaer, but got the two mixed up". lol I know we're a joke, but surely no one believed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.