Our worst signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danny Williamson.
Was incredibly unlucky with injury.

May have ended up being a waste of money but it wasn't because of a lack of ability or anything, he played 17 games for us (including a cracking showing in the derby) before getting injured and never kicking a ball again.

We signed Matt McKay at around the same time, highly touted youngster for decent money back then who also got a career ending injury and never played again. I do wonder what we were doing physio wise back then.

James Beattie for me.
The expectation (from me) was immense as I knew what a player he was at southampton. Pretty pants even if you allow for 'cough' injury and never looked fit or bothered.

At least we got a few quid back.

Cuco Martina, we signed Southampton’s 3rd choice right back, when we were absolutely throwing the cash around... what a disaster

Henry Newton had a mention? We were champions with a midfield of Kendall, Ball, and Harvey and the Catt makes Henry the most expensive player in our history. He spent most of his time with us playing out of position at full-back.

A weird signing, a bit like signing 4 number 10s.
I thought he played well at full back.

James Beattie for me.
The expectation (from me) was immense as I knew what a player he was at southampton. Pretty pants even if you allow for 'cough' injury and never looked fit or bothered.

He was totally unsuited to how we played at that time. Like the complete antithesis of what was required for the role.

Was incredibly unlucky with injury.

May have ended up being a waste of money but it wasn't because of a lack of ability or anything, he played 17 games for us (including a cracking showing in the derby) before getting injured and never kicking a ball again.

We signed Matt McKay at around the same time, highly touted youngster for decent money back then who also got a career ending injury and never played again. I do wonder what we were doing physio wise back then.
Williamson only truly came up here as he was a mate of Bilic.

James Beattie for me.

Another big reputation then disappointment was Tony Cottee

What was the name of that striker Martinez signed on loan. He was about 6 foot 7 and I think he got crocked for the entire season on his debut

Status
Not open for further replies.