Our season so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last season was shocking. This season, while the football has been better, the performances have been even more disappointing.

Five home matches left - I suppose that we may win one of them. What prospect of any success/pleasure is there next season?

If you look at what happened to Watford mid week it is worrying. They tried to have a go in the opening minutes, conceded 2 goals, then tried to defend and not get battered and still got battered. I am scared with this team we may have our biggest derby defeat in many years. Also we have not beaten them since 2010. horrible.

Our baseline should be:

We should be beating all the lower half teams on a consistent basis. We should be competing with the teams from 7 down to 11. We should be hard to beat against the top 6 and nicking the odd point.

Once you do that, then you have a platform to improve on. I bet you the top 6 teams have a belief that they should be beating everyone from 7th down, and be competing effectively against the others in the top 6 - that's the next target. Then you have City who probably think they should be beating eveyone. But that's how the mentality of winning goes - if you don't expect to win, you won't be upset by an expected loss.

All of this should be done with an attractive attacking style balance against the need for a solid defence.

As none of this has been achieved, then I can only say this season, then we have failed. I know as @Khalekan said, "transition season" but how many can we have, before we actually do throw in the towel and the stadium is half empty and no one cares anymore? Probably a lot, but we've got to at least get out of this stinking rut sooner rather than later.

What was the question again? Oh the season so far? Far from what I want, but a small glimmer of optimism that needs to be reignited soon before I go down the Silva out route next season.

Just to clarify Y, when I refer to "transitional season" I am being sarcastic.

It is a cliche bandied about round these parts because as you imply, every season is becoming a "transitional season" for us.

You never know when you are having a transitional season until you can look back on one when you you have actually "transitioned" into sommat better.

And to this end I would suggest the last "transitional season" we had was 1983/84

And that is just plain disgraceful :mad:

It is a cliche bandied about round these parts because as you imply, every season is becoming a "transitional season" for us.

You never know when you are having a transitional season until you can look back on one when you you have actually "transitioned" into sommat better.

And to this end I would suggest the last "transitional season" we had was 1983/84

Oh I understood - we're always transitioning. Just from one version of dross to another.

Bobbins.

Under Moyes we "achieved" the status of being a perennial top 6 team. We would beat the teams placed 12th and below with reliable regularity, we'd usually 3 or 4 points out of six against each of the teams placed 11th to 7th, and then the rest was a shot in the dark.

Moyes left. No transition season needed, because we weren't a mess.

Martinez came in and initially did very well. BUT by the end of his second season we'd recruited some god-awful players, dropped alarmingly and become a genuine mid-table club. We would trounce the relegation fodder, split points with everyone placed 16th to 7th and get hammered by everyone 6th and above. We gave him time (the right call) and it got worse (partly because he was poop and partly because there wasn't a lot of money available to fix the problems caused by good players leaving and poor players being bought in).

Martinez got sacked. Now transition is needed, because we are a mess (hence Martinez getting chopped).

Koeman came in. First season results were pretty good: we could rely on beating everyone 14th and below, we mostly got the bulk of the points form everyone between 13th and 7th, 6th above however would dominate us. Although more money was made available, it was spent very badly - THIS IS KEY: poorly spent money usually only comes back to haunt you in future seasons.

Koeman's second season fell off the rails pretty quick and he gets the sack. At this point, we haven't recovered from the mess left by Martinez (if "recovery" means getting back to where we were under Moyes: regularly finishing 6th or 5th, pushing for fourth). If the end of Martinez left us in transition, and Koeman did not complete the transition, then we are clearly still in transition - proved by the league position and the results contributing to that position.

Allardyce comes in. If you want to argue that the arrival of Large Samuel is an indication that the club has successfully completed a period of transition and recovered back to the position Moyes had us at (finishing 6th, 5th or 4th most seasons) then you go ahead: but you would be hilariously wrong. Sam went out and panic-purchased some bobbins players to placate the portion of the fanbase who think that spending large sums of cash is a reliable indicator of "big club" status. He imposed a style of play which fair enough got us back to 8th, but was utter dirge to watch and, more importantly, is a style that will not see you climb higher than 8th nor can it even be relied upon to keep you finishing 8th year after year.

Sam therefore did NOT complete the period of transition.

Sam gets the boot, along with Walsh (who was almost as much to blame as Koeman), and Brands / Silva comes in. If you want to suggest that Brands / Silva should have completed the period of transition by now, having only come into the club last summer and having the grand total of one summer and one winter transfer window to work with, then you sir should really think about altering your diet because the endless crayon sandwiches seem to have addled your brain.

We are clearly and firmly in a period of transition. Brands will need probably two more summer windows to shift out enough overpaid / rubbish players to free up the transfer funds and wage space to purchase better players. In that period, Silva just needs to finish in the top twelve. The reason this is good enough to keep Silva on when 11th twice got Martinez sacked is because Martinez was buying awful players (Alcaraz, McGeady etc) who were in turn guaranteed to make us even worse. Silva is not buying players - Brands is. If Brands buys bad players, that isn't Silva's fault. If we all agree Brands is recruiting well but the results don't follow, then THAT is Silva's fault.

So far, Brands has made a good start. But the squad is CLEARLY not good enough to finish higher than 8th or 9th. Realistically, we should be expecting to finish 9th to 12th.
Is it good enough, long term? No.
Is it a necessary step in a three-year process of getting the club back on the right track? Absolutely.

Bobbins.

Under Moyes we "achieved" the status of being a perennial top 6 team. We would beat the teams placed 12th and below with reliable regularity, we'd usually 3 or 4 points out of six against each of the teams placed 11th to 7th, and then the rest was a shot in the dark.

Moyes left. No transition season needed, because we weren't a mess.

Martinez came in and initially did very well. BUT by the end of his second season we'd recruited some god-awful players, dropped alarmingly and become a genuine mid-table club. We would trounce the relegation fodder, split points with everyone placed 16th to 7th and get hammered by everyone 6th and above. We gave him time (the right call) and it got worse (partly because he was poop and partly because there wasn't a lot of money available to fix the problems caused by good players leaving and poor players being bought in).

Martinez got sacked. Now transition is needed, because we are a mess (hence Martinez getting chopped).

Koeman came in. First season results were pretty good: we could rely on beating everyone 14th and below, we mostly got the bulk of the points form everyone between 13th and 7th, 6th above however would dominate us. Although more money was made available, it was spent very badly - THIS IS KEY: poorly spent money usually only comes back to haunt you in future seasons.

Koeman's second season fell off the rails pretty quick and he gets the sack. At this point, we haven't recovered from the mess left by Martinez (if "recovery" means getting back to where we were under Moyes: regularly finishing 6th or 5th, pushing for fourth). If the end of Martinez left us in transition, and Koeman did not complete the transition, then we are clearly still in transition - proved by the league position and the results contributing to that position.

Allardyce comes in. If you want to argue that the arrival of Large Samuel is an indication that the club has successfully completed a period of transition and recovered back to the position Moyes had us at (finishing 6th, 5th or 4th most seasons) then you go ahead: but you would be hilariously wrong. Sam went out and panic-purchased some bobbins players to placate the portion of the fanbase who think that spending large sums of cash is a reliable indicator of "big club" status. He imposed a style of play which fair enough got us back to 8th, but was utter dirge to watch and, more importantly, is a style that will not see you climb higher than 8th nor can it even be relied upon to keep you finishing 8th year after year.

Sam therefore did NOT complete the period of transition.

Sam gets the boot, along with Walsh (who was almost as much to blame as Koeman), and Brands / Silva comes in. If you want to suggest that Brands / Silva should have completed the period of transition by now, having only come into the club last summer and having the grand total of one summer and one winter transfer window to work with, then you sir should really think about altering your diet because the endless crayon sandwiches seem to have addled your brain.

We are clearly and firmly in a period of transition. Brands will need probably two more summer windows to shift out enough overpaid / rubbish players to free up the transfer funds and wage space to purchase better players. In that period, Silva just needs to finish in the top twelve. The reason this is good enough to keep Silva on when 11th twice got Martinez sacked is because Martinez was buying awful players (Alcaraz, McGeady etc) who were in turn guaranteed to make us even worse. Silva is not buying players - Brands is. If Brands buys bad players, that isn't Silva's fault. If we all agree Brands is recruiting well but the results don't follow, then THAT is Silva's fault.

So far, Brands has made a good start. But the squad is CLEARLY not good enough to finish higher than 8th or 9th. Realistically, we should be expecting to finish 9th to 12th.
Is it good enough, long term? No.
Is it a necessary step in a three-year process of getting the club back on the right track? Absolutely.

You lost me at “bobbins”.

If you want a fellow to read a long post better to have a more polite introduction

Sorry :(

Our baseline should be:

We should be beating all the lower half teams on a consistent basis. We should be competing with the teams from 7 down to 11. We should be hard to beat against the top 6 and nicking the odd point.

Once you do that, then you have a platform to improve on.

As none of this has been achieved, then I can only say this season, then we have failed.

As we’ve just seen, that’s precisely what we have done! Nearly all our points have come from outperforming everyone around us against the bottom ten.

At least we make sense. Can't beat good teams, can beat crap ones. Bournemouth have taken nearly double the points from the top 10 than they have the dregs. That'd drive me insane if it was us.

I was hoping the outcome of the op's investigation was that we were great. Turns out we are not... That's ruined my next 5 minutes.

To be fair to Silva and Brands they need next season "unless it gets bottom six stuff by Christmas" the club needs to sideline Kenwrong "Moshri needs to do this" He is the money man and needs to be the man, not part of a little and large eighties tribute act. The football this season is better than last and results on a par. The club so badly needs a cup win and a solid top six finish and then consolidation before the new stadium opens.

Somehow we need to clear some of the deadwood and I really do not know who would take them they are such big earners. The bleeding obvious is a top striker needed. We live in hope and the new stadium will either make us great again or break us. Come on the toffees a draw or a fluke win on Sunday would be monumental to us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.