Our season so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Rob-

Player Valuation: £15m
Looking in to our chances of getting anything out of Sunday’s derby game, I’ve just done a very quick analysis of the points we’ve got so far this season.

All 10 of our league wins so far this season have been against teams that are in the bottom half of the table as it stands today.

3 of our 6 draws have come against teams in the top half and 3 against teams in the bottom half.

So of the 36 points Everton have got in the league so far, just 3 of them, yes just 3 of them have come against teams currently in the top half of the table. Those 3 top of the table teams were Watford, Wolves and Chelsea and I think most of us will agree Watford and Wolves can be generally considered as bottom half teams that are punching above their weight.

So in 28 games so far this season Everton have achieved a huge 1 solitary point against teams that have real footballing pedigree about them.

Nil Statis Nisi Optimum my arse.

That's where the perspective of what Everton actually is needs to be considered.

The reason we aren't doing well against top half teams is because we are a midtable team and have been for many years now. No matter how much we spend or act like it, our squad is still very much a mid table side and that is why we keep finishing there.

Any other club that finished regularly 8-11th and acted like they should be higher would have the Mick taken out of them.

We are where we are and the results reflect. Worryingly stats like this reflect the Martinez third season when we went from September to the end of February with Stoke being our only win against a team not in the bottom 3.

It's on the badge, but that hasn't been our motto since the early 90's in all reality. Too many years of accepting the mediocre, and more than questionable boardroom practices, has made us what we are, a mid table Prem side. And not even an exciting one. We've had two cup final appearances since 1990. That in itself is a shocking stat considering where we were just 3 years before then. The longest run in our history without a trophy. Our points tally against the "big six" in recent years is nothing short of criminal, considering what we've spent of late, and some of the players we've managed to get even as far back as Moyes' days. I'd hazard a guess that most mid table sides over the last ten years or so have a better record against them than we have.

It speaks volumes about the club when our best ever Prem season points wise brought on almost euphoric levels of excitement from us fans, despite the fact we were barely chasing a fourth placed finish. Something else that petered out into a whimper, I'm sure I need to remind no one. We're so starved of success that even that elusive fourth would have been seen as a victory in most fans eyes. I get that the top boys have more resources than us in general, I'm not expecting us to compete with City or Chelsea financially, but it would be nice if we could compete on the pitch now and then instead of rolling over and having our belly tickled. There are some obvious exceptions to this of course. Yet we're not skint anymore according to most and Spurs have managed to at least pretend to challenge with the same kind of finances. But they have the drive to want it, we, unfortunately, don't seem to either know how to, or worse, care. There's an undercurrent of failure and lack of desire to win big at this club and I 'kin hate them for it.

I heard a stat the other day that this season is the only season we’ve had more than one player in double digits for goals scored in the past 10+ years and we are still sh*te :(

But if Watford and Wolves are really bottom half teams punching above their weight (they're not and very few people would agree with you, but i'm willing to humour you), that means there's two teams in the bottom half who are really top half teams. If we've taken points off them then it at least balances out, if not tips the other way.

Basically you've started a thread telling us we're a midtable team, we could have just looked at the table and saved you the bother.

This is where you went wrong Rob.

Looking in to our chances of getting anything out of Sunday’s derby game, I’ve just done a very quick analysis of the points we’ve got so far this season.

All 10 of our league wins so far this season have been against teams that are in the bottom half of the table as it stands today.

3 of our 6 draws have come against teams in the top half and 3 against teams in the bottom half.

So of the 36 points Everton have got in the league so far, just 3 of them, yes just 3 of them have come against teams currently in the top half of the table. Those 3 top of the table teams were Watford, Wolves and Chelsea and I think most of us will agree Watford and Wolves can be generally considered as bottom half teams that are punching above their weight.

So in 28 games so far this season Everton have achieved a huge 1 solitary point against teams that have real footballing pedigree about them.

Transition. Season.

It will take three years to fix this shambles, because we did not take the right approach to fixing the shambles left by Martinez. It is not feasible to try to refresh the bulk of the playing squad in one summer and one winter window, and we HAVE to refresh a lot of the squad due to having a huge payroll, loads of non-contributing players, and having spent large transfer fees to the extent that we are close to the limit regarding the financial rules.

Sacking a manager for getting transition season results during a transition season is the absolute definition of idiocy.

Status
Not open for further replies.