On this day 45 years ago . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to love collecting those sticker books and “swaps” in the playground. Think the club crests were on silver sticker.
I had started to go to games around this time but was too young to go to the final and remember listening to the 77 League cup final replay commentaries with my Dad on the old radio 2 mw swirling in and out of tune and the names Little, Mortimer, Carrodus seemingly always on the ball. They had a good side and went on to bigger things.

Everton appointed a new manager. Welcome to Everton Gordon Francis Lee.
View attachment 154109
Lee took over from Billy Bingham.
In what is generally considered a very poor period for the club Lee finished his first season (1976-77) In 9th position, but also led us to that titanic League Cup Final against Aston Villa which lasted longer than your average Everton board decision. Aston Villa eventually winning the second replay 3-2 at Old Trafford.
We also had that epic FA Cup run which was eventually brought to an end by Clive (expletive deleted) Thomas following a replayed Semi Final against the Devils spawn.
The following season (1977-78) we finished 3rd in the table with signings like George Wood and Trevor Ross.
1978-79 we finished 4th.
1979-80 was a disaster finishing in 19th place. Another FA Cup Semi-Final went to a replay before West Ham won 2-1 (with Frank Lampard Sr. scoring the winner in Extra time)
1980-81 saw a 15th place finish and Lee was sacked on 6th May 1981

Ultimately a failure of course, but looking back now, I wonder how many of our younger fanbase would like to have experienced those 3 games of the League Cup Final against Villa, or the FA Cup runs in 1976 and 1980?
I’ve just thrown me cushion out of my window onto the grass…

Status
Not open for further replies.