On this day 45 years ago . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree about our keeper. Lawson wasn't great. And I never rated David Jones or Trevor Ross. And Jim Pearson. Darracott was in and out of the team also around that time. Not a great player imo. Think that Pejic w as s our LB. He was ok. Imo that team was about four players short from being a very good team. But that's exactly what I've thought of Everton for the past 30 or so years. Always about 4 or 5 players short . When we have a forward line.......no defence. And when we have a defence......no forward line. And no decent midfield now for years.
Let's hope that Lampard can address all that. And get the balance right.
Yeah the recruitment wasn't great was it apart from Lyons who also had his limitations the defence wasn't great with a few has beens and also rans. Jim Pearson was a 2nd or 3rd division player at best. My grandad always used to say they're good tryers but not good enough. If we'd had better quality in the engine room. Who knows?

He signed Sharpie did at least one thing right.
This is very true, but was not an instant success as he looked very ordinary in his first few months if I recall. I actually think Graeme didn't really shine until some while after the parting of the ways.
Sharpie was a brave lad and really was a great player for other more lively players to benefit from his holding the ball up and playing others in. Inchy and Lineaker certainly benefited, whereas Gray complimented his bravery.
Could be old age of course as it wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong. Today.

Gordon Lee was a far better Manager than David Moyes - he had a great team The Latch - Andy King - Martin Dobson Mike Lyons - he came close , but he played attractive high scoring games in his pomp ...

Hang on, didn't you play right back for us?

This is very true, but was not an instant success as he looked very ordinary in his first few months if I recall. I actually think Graeme didn't really shine until some while after the parting of the ways.
Graeme Sharp became the player he eventually did, the minute Andy Gray walked through the door in November 1983.
Gray showed Sharp how to lead the line and not be bullied by Centre Backs.
Gray kept Howard in a job, and more than anyone else, was responsible for our mid 80s purple patch

Billy Bingham had only won 2 in his last 12 league games but had us winning LC games and FA Cup games. The classic 3-0 in the LC at Old Trafford then to get beat 4-0 a few weeks later in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.